PDA

View Full Version : Not forgotten Dec 7th 1941

Fatboy 18
12-06-2015, 04:29 PM
For all those young guys never to have experienced many things in life and lives cut short.

Thank you to all who serve.

:United_States:

12-07-2015, 05:57 PM

Vprbite
12-08-2015, 03:33 AM
My grandfather was on a battleship in WWII. His job was to shoot down kamikazes/strafing runs. I am so very fortunate, not just to have had a great relationship with him when he was still here with us and hear lots of great stories from his experience in the war, some of those stories still crack me up, but I also have his diary (which as many of you know, keeping a diary abord ship during war time was a big no-no. His method of hiding it was pretty ingenius.) but as a 17/18 yr old I think you did whatever it took to keep your spirits up. Well I am fortunate to have it because it gives a fascinating insight into what these people were going through, and it's easy to forget how young many of these people were and what they were fighting for. They weren't fighting a war that some people thought was political or any other BS like that. They were fighting for our very existence as a nation. Not just our values, but a country in which to have those values was legitimately at stake. Every one of us will always owe a debt to our allied soldiers who gave, and whose families gave, pretty much all they possibly could have to make sure we still had a nation in which to express our values. It also wasn't as long ago as it may seem.

It's important not to forget these things.