PDA

View Full Version : So After All of the Hype the C7 Turned Out to be a Pile of Crap

v10enomous
11-30-2015, 06:35 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up

345s-bspinnin
11-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Ouch. I really like the C7s, but that's just too much going wrong :(

SlateEd
11-30-2015, 10:04 PM
"this car needs seven speeds like it needs square wheels" haha

BlackSnake99
12-01-2015, 01:20 AM
You aren't seriously going to draw conclusions about an entire generation of Corvette because a magazine got what was clearly a lemon, are you?

Vprbite
12-01-2015, 02:57 AM
I'm impressed it didn't overheat.

I am generally fine making fun of just about any vette. But this one seems like it was put together with parts found in a box.i always thought it looked like that. But some of these problems seem like problems that people have when they build a hot rod and mismatch parts.

capevettes
12-01-2015, 07:28 AM
I read that article the other day. At the risk of sounding like an apologist for Corvette. clearly that car was an aberration. The vast majority of the C7, base cars have been pretty reliable. There have been some issues of overheating on the track (as we have all heard) with the new Z06. I did drive a 2016 Z06 last week. It's a heck of a car.

Joel
12-01-2015, 07:41 AM
You aren't seriously going to draw conclusions about an entire generation of Corvette because a magazine got what was clearly a lemon, are you?

Car after car has puked its engine for several magazines and the highest performance version of the Corvette won't complete more than a few laps without going into limp mode. Clearly there are a lot of lemons out there and folks are not making lemonade.

swexlin
12-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Car after car has puked its engine for several magazines and the highest performance version of the Corvette won't complete more than a few laps without going into limp mode. Clearly there are a lot of lemons out there and folks are not making lemonade.

To be fair, there have been more that a few Gen 5 Vipers lose engines as well. However, I agree that the car in this article was lemon, and should not be used to judge the whole line.

ViperJon
12-01-2015, 07:59 AM

I don't think you would want to compare the engine failure percentage on C7's to Gen V's. That's a losing argument.

v10enomous
12-01-2015, 11:48 AM
So all of these high performance cars will have some engine failures and other problems but the take away here is that with all of the ridiculous hype over the C7 it has underachieved time and time again despite getting the benefit of the doubt from all the automotive press that fawned over it.

ViperTony
12-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I read that article the other day. At the risk of sounding like an apologist for Corvette. clearly that car was an aberration. The vast majority of the C7, base cars have been pretty reliable. There have been some issues of overheating on the track (as we have all heard) with the new Z06. I did drive a 2016 Z06 last week. It's a heck of a car.

It's easy to pile on the C7's misfortune. Engine failures happen. What matters is how the manufacturer makes it right. Seems like GM made it right and replaced the engine in two weeks.

TrackAire
12-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Obviously this car was a lemon. The quote that had me worried was "In sub-zero temps, the LT1 V-8 could take up to 12 seconds of cranking before firing, which surely contributed to the starter motor dying at 21,000 miles."

12 seconds of cranking?, crap, I don't think I've ever cranked an engine over that long on anything I've every owned. It is obvious that GM is still the company to avoid on first production run models and I have stated this multiple times. The only GM's I buy now are the last year of the production run. The C7 Corvette to buy is the year just before the C8 Corvette hits the market....by then GM has most glitches worked out and they tend to be good cars.

James430
12-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Made a long run on my 2015 Z06 to Bar Harbor Main and over to Omaha Neb not long ago and ran it kinda hard on I-95..it has the automatic tranny and I didn't have issues at all....Maybe I just got lucky and all the other ones are lemons??.....Just paid $1900.00 to get an overheating problem taken care of on my Viper.....New custom radiator,water pump and 160 deg thermostat but did get a great deal for the labor at the Dodge dealer here in West Palm....

Austin
12-01-2015, 01:36 PM
You're comparing your 14 year old Viper to a 2015 Z06?

Made a long run on my 2015 Z06 to Bar Harbor Main and over to Omaha Neb not long ago and ran it kinda hard on I-95..it has the automatic tranny and I didn't have issues at all....Maybe I just got lucky and all the other ones are lemons??.....Just paid $1900.00 to get an overheating problem taken care of on my Viper.....New custom radiator,water pump and 160 deg thermostat but did get a great deal for the labor at the Dodge dealer here in West Palm....

Camfab
12-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't think you would want to compare the engine failure percentage on C7's to Gen V's. That's a losing argument.

Are you sure? Where are you getting your data from? How many C7's have been sold vs how many failures? Clearly there is a problem but as a percentage?
Remember bad news travels faster than good news. I will say this, the C7 Z06 is probably one of GM's worst marketing disasters. Never has a car been so hyped for its track prowess.

Boba Fett
12-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Had I not cancelled my order on a new Z06, my ACR wouldn't be on its way. Lets just say Im glad I did what I did. Still may get one, one day, but for now Im happy with my C6Z06 and the Viper (whenever it gets here).

- - - Updated - - -

:lol2:

mikesax
12-01-2015, 06:49 PM
The new Corvette is an amazing car-obviously they tested a "finicky" one!! Had a friend with an engine problem-dealer fixed in a timely manner!! Percentage wise failures are probably similar-most problems you never hear of anyway-and with all the corvettes sold only GM knows for sure!! If there were no Viper a good many of us would be in a Z06-I probably would-it's just that there is a Viper-so the point is for now mute!!

Coloviper
12-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Good, bad or indifferent, all I know is the new Vette is right up there with the ugliest car I have ever seen. Then again my Dad in his latter-60s is in love with it and hankering to order a Vette vert. He came with me to VE1. No Viper vert is what instantaneously turned him off the brand. A bad back and getting in and out of the coupe was a no go. Hope 2017 has a factory Viper vert in the line. In the meantime, I will have my paper bag to put over my head if I ride with him in that abomination of a car, if he picks up a Vette.

James430
12-02-2015, 02:26 AM

Not at all..... The Viper has been great and trouble free,considering the mods.....Just Venting 😃

ViperJon
12-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Good, bad or indifferent, all I know is the new Vette is right up there with the ugliest car I have ever seen. Then again my Dad in his latter-60s is in love with it and hankering to order a Vette vert. He came with me to VE1. No Viper vert is what instantaneously turned him off the brand. A bad back and getting in and out of the coupe was a no go. Hope 2017 has a factory Viper vert in the line. In the meantime, I will have my paper bag to put over my head if I ride with him in that abomination of a car, if he picks up a Vette.

You've said this a hundred times in a hundred posts, and obviously by the sales numbers the vast majority of people disagree.
Most people think the C7 is a very nice modern revision of the corvette and the sales figures are healthy.
I'm sure a lot of people think a Gen 2 looks like a hundred year old relic kit car. Doesn't make them right either.

Austin
12-02-2015, 08:00 AM
:cool: Gotcha.

Not at all..... The Viper has been great and trouble free,considering the mods.....Just Venting ��

Coloviper
12-02-2015, 10:42 AM
You've said this a hundred times in a hundred posts, and obviously by the sales numbers the vast majority of people disagree.
Most people think the C7 is a very nice modern revision of the corvette and the sales figures are healthy.
I'm sure a lot of people think a Gen 2 looks like a hundred year old relic kit car. Doesn't make them right either.

Don't think I said anything about my Dad wanting a new vette vert as he just mentioned that to me last week. In the end, if you want to be in the majority of the public view on that car, go ahead it is a free country. I could care less if they sell 1M of them in a year, it won't change my stance on it. I will say it 1000 times if it helps Dodge to NOT go that way with a GEN VI rework if one is on the works. I can say what I want about a vert as that is a very true statement. My opinion is it would be a mistake to not have a final year vert and a mistake if they try following the vette on styling with the next GEN. I love pretty much all cars and brands but that new vette does nothing for me except hopes and wishes the car hobby does not go that direction or I will just be buying pre-owned past cars on my wish list.

Last time I checked, this was an open form and seeing as I am a paid member since inception, I think I am still entitled to voice my opinion. As I said this is a free country, you can say what you want. Pay up and support the club with a membership, I may take your dribble a little more seriously. Until then, it is obvious you have an issue with me based upon past posts. Truthfully, I am not enamored with you either. So we will just leave it at that.

AZTVR
12-03-2015, 11:00 AM
from the article: ...... A connecting-rod bearing had failed, sending debris through the LT1’s belly and chewing up more internals. In related news, GM acknowledged that the engine manufacturing plant had experienced some difficulty ridding the inside of the block of machining burrs

Boy, that somehow sounds familiar....

Vprbite
12-03-2015, 12:06 PM
The New Vette has never turned me on, looks wise. Obviously looks are a personal thing. Eye of the beholder and what not. But I do find it kinda funny how the rags were ready to crown this thing king of the streets and king of the track before they had ever even seen one. And anyone who liked corvettes or american cars somehow seemed to get the memo. I was told by somebody who isn't really a car guy but notices cara that "when that new vette comes out your Viper won't hang with it at all" and it will be faster than million dollar cars. The hype was insane for amcar that no one had seen. So I think what gets people grinning about this is not only have we seen that not to be the case "overheat issues and such" but that they are having problems keeping engines together. That is a far cry from being the greatest car ever made as it seemed like it was promised to be. Does it mean every single one has an engine that will grenade? Of course not. Is it a total garbage only slightly better than a Yugo? No of course not, either. But for those of us die hard Viper fans, I think we enjoy seeing the car getting some comeuppance. I really believe that's about the extent of this thread. Especially with the new ACR earning it's stripes with actual track records verified by clocks, not what marketing people said it would be.

Seems like this thread is ruffling some feathers so I just wanted to give my thoughts on it. I think it's more of a fun/venting thread/goofing on the supposed almighty corvette thread.

swexlin
12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
The New Vette has never turned me on, looks wise. Obviously looks are a personal thing. Eye of the beholder and what not. But I do find it kinda funny how the rags were ready to crown this thing king of the streets and king of the track before they had ever even seen one. And anyone who liked corvettes or american cars somehow seemed to get the memo. I was told by somebody who isn't really a car guy but notices cara that "when that new vette comes out your Viper won't hang with it at all" and it will be faster than million dollar cars. The hype was insane for amcar that no one had seen. So I think what gets people grinning about this is not only have we seen that not to be the case "overheat issues and such" but that they are having problems keeping engines together. That is a far cry from being the greatest car ever made as it seemed like it was promised to be. Does it mean every single one has an engine that will grenade? Of course not. Is it a total garbage only slightly better than a Yugo? No of course not, either. But for those of us die hard Viper fans, I think we enjoy seeing the car getting some comeuppance. I really believe that's about the extent of this thread. Especially with the new ACR earning it's stripes with actual track records verified by clocks, not what marketing people said it would be.

Seems like this thread is ruffling some feathers so I just wanted to give my thoughts on it. I think it's more of a fun/venting thread/goofing on the supposed almighty corvette thread.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

labtec
12-03-2015, 03:42 PM

What he said....now where's my pointy stick, hehe

serpent
12-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Lol, this is an article you will never see in General Motor Trend!

v10enomous
12-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Car and Driver Bashes C7 Corvette

http://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/car-and-driver-bashes-c7-corvette/?newsletter