PDA

View Full Version : Gen V price tag doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

ViperSmith
12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
BMW releases pricing for M235i Racing 333hp, $82,000

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/17/bmw-m235i-racing-official-details/

http://i.imgur.com/8VU1QVK.jpg

We were suitably excited when BMW first announced the imminent arrival of the M235i Racing. After all, what's not to like about a factory-prepared racecar with 333 horsepower you can pick up for just eighty grand? Now BMW has released the full details on the latest addition to its racing portfolio, where it joins the M3 DTM, M3 GT4, Z4 GTE/GT3 and 320 TC in a growing family of competition machinery prepared by BMW Motorsport.

Based on the new 2 Series coupe, the M235i Racing is the first M Performance model for the track, and boasts the line's most powerful engine: the 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight six has been optimized to 333 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. A mechanical limited-slip differential helps transfer the power to the track surface, along with race-tuned ABS, DSC and traction control.

Four-pot calipers up front and two-pot calipers in the rear shave off speed for the corner and are packed inside the 18-inch alloys, with KW dampers and H&R suspension components. Inside there's a six-point racing harness and Recaro bucket surrounded by an FIA-certified roll cage, and customers can even have an extra seat installed to take passengers for ride-alongs. All of which can be yours for €59,500.00 – equivalent to $82k at today's rates, before taxes.

At that price, BMW says it has already received 30 pre-orders for the M235i Racing, which will take part in the BMW Sports Trophy as a more accessible alternative to the aforementioned Z4 GT3. BMW has been running the series for over 50 years now, but we can also expect to see the M235i tackling the Nordschleife in the VLN series and Nürburgring 24-hour race.
Show full PR textTHE NEW BMW M235i RACING.

INTRODUCTION.

BMW Motorsport is expanding its range of cars within the BMW Sports Trophy Customer Racing programme: from 2014, privateer BMW teams and drivers will have the opportunity to line up at events with the new BMW M235i Racing. With a price of 59,500.00 Euros (excl. VAT) and impressive performance figures, the production-based coupé meets all the basic requirements of a successful entry-level racing car.

The plan is initially for the car to be used in series and events such as the VLN Endurance Championship and the Nürburgring 24 Hours on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife. Looking ahead, the BMW M235i Racing should also be successful on international stages for BMW Sports Trophy drivers.

BACKGROUND.

The motorsport genes are also easily recognisable in the production version of the BMW M235i Coupé, courtesy of the aerodynamically optimised body design. It is propelled by the most powerful petrol engine developed so far for a BMW M Performance Automobile: a six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology. With a capacity of 2,979ccm, the racing version is capable of generating 333hp (245kW).

Motorsport-specific driving aids such as ABS, DSC and traction control ensure that the motorsport newcomers can also handle the BMW M235i Racing surely and safely. The car also comes with mechanical limited-slip differential, which is also available for the BMW M235i Coupé in the Original BMW Parts range. The racing car is also fitted with features such as the FIA-certified safety cell and the modern safety tank. On top of this come components from the BMW M Performance Parts range, such as the rear and front spoilers, diffusor and carbon wing mirrors.

WHAT THE BMW MOTORSPORT DIRECTOR SAYS...

"The basis our engineers had to start with when developing the racing version of the BMW M235i Coupé was exceptionally good.

The production models from the BMW M Performance Automobiles range are already incredibly sporty. Because of this, we did not have to make many modifications in order to get the BMW M235i Coupé up and running as a racing car. BMW Motorsport can look back on a long tradition of allowing ambitious teams and drivers an affordable way into motor racing – and of offering them an absolutely competitive car. While the BMW Z4 GT3 spearheads our range, the new BMW M235i Racing means we are now also excellently positioned for the coming years in the field of production-based racing cars."

Heavy price tag for a stripped BMW

XSnake
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
It's got a full cage. Is it even street legal?

Troublemaker
12-18-2013, 10:36 AM
It's the way the Gen5 should be offered.

ACRucrazy
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Seems like a sweet car! I wouldn't mind having one. Price doesn't seem too crazy to me. ACR-X was 50% more $$

Fatboy 18
12-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Not a fan of BMWs, they can keep that thing.

Bitten
12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I like my American muscle. Easier to work on :)

KRATEDISEASE
12-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Not a fan of BMWs, they can keep that thing.

BMW .... short for Big Money Waste

Anonymous
12-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Carapp!!

MI Viper
12-23-2013, 11:12 PM
good point, vs what you can get a Gen V 2013 for right now......

Viktimize
12-24-2013, 01:49 AM
BMW .... short for Big Money Waste

I thought it was Bring My Wallet? They definitely do suck a bit to own outside of warranty, but no big deal if you do your own work. The 3-series is one of the best drivers cars of all time. I am on my 4th one right now. The 335i is a very fun enjoyable car, and if I really wanted to have fun with it I could do some bolt ons and probably give my Viper a run for it's money. Guys are making over 700hp on the stock block and head. Although I have heard the newer 3 series don't quite have the feel of the older ones, and it looks like the build quality has really taken a dump in the past few years. Pretty sure my 4th will be my last BMW.

Schen
12-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Except, you can't compare it to a Gen V.

The closest thing this compares to is a 458 Challenge since both cars are designed to get their most hardcore buyers to buy a race car to go racing in a model spec race series.

--RS

Nine Ball
12-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Only Americans are fooled into thinking BMW's are some prestigious brand label. I bought a brand new X5 for my wife, it lasted 3 days before the engine blew. Made the dealership buy it back. Over in Europe, just about every taxi cab is a BMW. Yeah, prestigious brand right there. Maybe we should get revenge by marketing the Chevy Malibu as a high end car in England? :)

MtnBiker
12-24-2013, 11:52 AM
^^^. Plus my ex owns two of them. I will never buy a BMW.

ACRucrazy
12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Except, you can't compare it to a Gen V.

The closest thing this compares to is a 458 Challenge since both cars are designed to get their most hardcore buyers to buy a race car to go racing in a model spec race series.

--RS

At least someone gets it.

NI-KA
12-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I know of a used 1,500 mile Gen V available for $86,000.

schulmann
12-26-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't think this type of BMW hurts Viper sales. It is primarily intended for wealthy BMW club members and Porsche owners who lap their cars. Those two type of car owner will never buy a Viper (unless the Viper losses 500lb).

But new Gen5 Viper got too expensive compared to competition. Cheaper Corvettes, Boss 302, Camaros and some 911's lure away more Viper owners than you think.

Viktimize
12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't think this type of BMW hurts Viper sales. It is primarily intended for wealthy BMW club members and Porsche owners who lap their cars. Those two type of car owner will never buy a Viper (unless the Viper losses 500lb).

But new Gen5 Viper got too expensive compared to competition. Cheaper Corvettes, Boss 302, Camaros and some 911's lure away more Viper owners than you think.

I don't think there is many people cross shopping Camaros and Mustangs with a Viper? Corvette is not cheaper by much at all, a fully loaded ZR1 was running in the 130's wasn't it? My buddy just picked up his slightly used one for 115k. 911 models comparable to a Viper are nowhere near Viper pricing new, you would have to be buying a well used one to be in the ballpark.

It seems there just isn't a lot of people with a 100k+ budget to spend on a toy. And a lot of the people that can afford that kind of money for a toy, can also afford a lot more, so lots of them are getting into Lambos and the like. Being that it's still a Dodge, it won't appeal to many rich guys that want to have something to show off to their friends. It's main appeal is to the working class man that wants a good value, and a lot of those guys are just buying Vettes because of the slight price savings.

ViperSmith
12-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Too expensive? Have you priced a 911 recently?

randd
12-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Too expensive? Have you priced a 911 recently?

Yes. I went to a Porsche dealership couple of weeks back. My girlfriend is pushing me towards the 911. I will be ready for a new car in about one month and she likes the back seats (if you can call them that) of the 911. At least we could put the two dogs in the back and go ride. I have as yet not seen a Gen V, which I must do before making a final decision. It's either a Gen V base (maybe one with a few hundred miles on it or so) or a 2010 911 turbo. Alas my local Dodge dealer, which is awesome by the way, is not an SRT viper dealer which complicates the decision.

hawk02
12-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I'll take a V-10 M5 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Policy Limits
12-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Beamers sink in value something awful.

New Gen V price point is same as new Maserati, new Lotus Evora, new Porsche 991, new GT-R Black edition. Competition has never been stiffer and there's a wide range of choices from English to German, Japanese to Italian.

And that's just the new consumer market. Preowned exotics with extended warranty for $130k: Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, which is a whole other consumer option that reinforces the challenge the dealer has now to grab your wallet

dadstoy
12-29-2013, 01:24 PM
333hp? looks like my grandmothers Toyota.

not a fan of beaners.

Viktimize
12-29-2013, 03:00 PM
333hp? looks like my grandmothers Toyota.

not a fan of beaners.

It's made in Europe not Mexico. lol

And btw, it's Bimmer not Beamer. We aren't talking about motorcycles here.

hawk02
12-29-2013, 03:12 PM
I guess someone will need to meet one on a track and see if it's worth it, it may surprise many!!!!!!! Now a 1M is another story...............

hawk02
12-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Here you go for under $100,000, not by much though. Good luck racing this one.........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-GT-R-1K-WHP-MUST-SEE-1K-WHP-The-real-deal-Skyline-R33-GT-R-V-Spec-JDM-/331085618504?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d163d9d48&item=331085618504&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Detroit Muscle
02-26-2014, 08:53 PM
100K, and no factory warranty? no thanks.

Policy Limits
02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
U can get a gen V under 100k with three year warranty standard

ACRucrazy
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
The ACR-X was over 100k no title no warranty. This is a race car people.

Slaughterj
02-27-2014, 11:35 AM
I know of a used 1,500 mile Gen V available for $86,000.

Share!