PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Gen 1?

Racerjim
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
I need to pull the heads off my car this winter and was wondering what i should do to get a bit more power while i do it?
Better headers? port the heads? performance heads?

Looking for some decent priced used parts if possible.

Thanks
Jimmy

99RT10
12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Hi Jimmy,
It all depends on your objective. 550RWHP? 600RWHP? A set of well done heads will set you back about $3000-3500. Talked to Greg Good, his will flow the best. I think Dan Cragin has a set of heads for $3500 too. If you're going to do heads, might as well do the camshaft. I personally like the 708 camshaft. It has great drive-ability, and provides good power. Coupled with 1.7 RR, you achieve .575 lift and a nice idle. If you go aftermarket, most make the mistake of buying a comp cam with smaller duration/lift than the stock cam. Greg can help you with that too.

Headers can range from $1350(M&M) to $2800. Just depends on the maker. port matching the intake is always good for a few HP, bu tyou can do that in your garage so the cost is minimal.

Newport Viper
12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
I put in an aluminum fly wheel, Roe exhuast/ high flow cats and 3:55 unitrax gears. I miss that car! (1995)

Viper67wife
12-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Ported and polished the heads on mine, and swapped cam shafts. Replaced the gasket, of course. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Good luck,
Diane

99RT10
12-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Check your PMs. I will shoot you Greg's number.

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Jim, You said 'a bit more power'.................
You also mantioned seeking used parts if possible.....

Finding used Gen 1 performance parts will be VERY difficult.

But as noted, M+M headers are a "best value" power adder, as well as the obvious KNs and smoothe tubes. As is hi-flow exhaust muflers and cats. You MIGHT find those 2 used.......

Headwork adds HP, but will NOT be in the realm of 'used parts prices' you mention

But the BEST performance bang-for-buck is the aformentioned Ring-Pinion swap. After a header install, the 3.73 ratio will "Feel Like' you added 95HP......... and a 3:55 will 'feel' like you added 70HP. The car slows down faster, too. About $700+7hrs labor. You will gain a functional 6-speed, suck more gas, and top-out at about 140-150 mph. But get there a LOT faster!

An AL flywheel does about 15% of that too, under $500, but wait til you need a clutch anyway so the labor is included.

Good Luck Jim

Dan Cragin
12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
If you choose the heads, cam, headers option we have a great calibration you can use with the later Gen 2 injectors. Really compliments the Mods.

Racerjim
12-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips, i have the smoth tubes and K&N filters with a belanger exhaust system that has no cats. It runs great but i have a bad valve so i need to pull off the heads, thus the porting while they are off. I've heard that headers would be good as well since they will be easy to change at the time. I am going to get an alum. flywheel as well because i need a new clutch right now too.

PS i am an auto mechanic, so i plan to do all the work myself over this winter.

95Viper
12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Need a Clutch...... You need to contact Toddy Gomez at Bad Boyyz Garage,,, He has several clutch set ups that are to die for. Single disc, dual disc, aluminum flywheels, Custom HRB's, pedal height setting adjusters,,, he has some great stuff..... and I only say that cause I have his stuff in my car,,, smooth ez pedal, works fantastic and handles HP. I just moved up from a stage 1 to a stage 3... making more HP.... absolutely beautiful stuff that actually works AND you won't find anyone better than Toddy when it comes to customer service,,, he's a double thumbs up as well as big toes up... best clutches out there. Thats the end of this commercial, lololol.....

TexasTonka
12-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I need to pull the heads off my car this winter and was wondering what i should do to get a bit more power while i do it?
Better headers? port the heads? performance heads?

Looking for some decent priced used parts if possible.

Thanks
Jimmy

Jimmy! I have a brand new set of Bellenger side exhaust for the Gen 1 with new stainless tips etc. Still brand new in the box- was going to convert my Gen 2 to side exit but never got around to it. Also have a Fidanza Flywheel brand new in the box as well if your interested. Both would be great additions to get that engine breathing easier and quicker revs! PM me if interested.

99RT10
12-25-2013, 05:58 PM
I also have a set of Borla Headers along with the Gen I heads I cna send off to Greg for you. Even have a clutch (Holds 900 HP) and aluminum flywheel:

http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=6756&title=aluminum-flywheel-gen-1or-gen-2-2c-brand-new&cat=47

http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=7031&title=spec-3clutch&cat=47

cgalli09
05-31-2018, 01:26 PM
with all that motor work will it need a computer modification or fuel mod?

SNKEBIT
06-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Gimmie a call. I'll make you a smokin deal on a set of headers!!!