PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ACR Viper VS 996 GT3 Porsche

DBushmeyer
11-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I am looking at getting a 2009 ACR Viper to replace my 996 GT3 Porsche for track use and autocross. Is there anyone on here that has driven both cars ,and that have any feedback for me. Thank you for any help.

Dax

TCurtner
11-08-2015, 07:04 PM
I wish i could!!!! :-) However, i do have some data for you. in 2010 when running an HPDE at VIR in my 08 viper (coupe, stock except for aftermarket springs, so 600/560 would have been the car's HP/TQ rating, and running in Group 3/4) an instructor, who also had his comp license for years (and did wheel to wheel racing with NASA and SCCA), and could obviously drive the crap out of the car (so he was group 4) - was going into turn 1 about 5 -8 mph faster than me (having come out of the corkscrew and last turn better than i obviously, and they clocked him). I was only about two years into HPDE and certainly not as experienced. So my best guess, if you're already a good driver, and you learn the ACR (Vipers are serious business too, and probably a bit different to learn considering the car's weight distribution, engine location, and overall balance), i'd bet you'd be faster. But i will of course defer to someone with experience in BOTH as you have requested. Just thought i'd chime in a bit.
(THOUGHT: If you can, try renting one for a few laps at your favorite track!)
If you get snake bit, you'll like the venom...

DBushmeyer
11-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the info. My experience is good. I am a PCA instructor.

TCurtner
11-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Thank you for the info. My experience is good. I am a PCA instructor.

Nice! The event i quoted above was a PCA event...i have been trying to remember his name - bet you know him. And come to think of it, it may have been 2009 (for sure one of the two).

duffman04
11-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately my experience isn't exactly what you're asking for but, I raced in the Belcar Endurance championship in a 996 GT3 Cup car and absolutely loved that thing! Are you retiring it from the track or getting rid of it? Brilliant car nonetheless. I have a Gen1 Viper and is no where near the same league as a Gen IV ACR. The torque of the V10 really is addicting though and is hard to give up once you get used to it. I don't know if you have much experience in cars with a lot of aero, but the gen IV ACR puts down quite a bit for a street car (about 1000lb's from what I've read) and can be a huge adjustment.

ACRucrazy
11-09-2015, 10:14 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/ACRucrazy/009%20SSG%20ACR/acrwing_zps3d6dc4d7.jpg

DBushmeyer
11-12-2015, 07:16 PM
thank you.

ACR Steve
12-07-2015, 01:51 PM
I just sold my 09' ACR for a 2016 and race a 996 GT3 Cup .
I love my Cup car for racing and I love my ACR for the street and occasionally track or auto-x . To me they are the best of both worlds

My choice for a best of both worlds not racing but DE/Auto-x/street in one car is the ACR hands down over a normal street 996 GT3 - Not in the same league on track I would have lapped street GT3's

PM your phone number if you want more details