PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Gen IV PCM (off road) programming tool question

TCurtner
11-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know for sure if this device/tool is what is needed to do the GEN IV off road PCM install? This is what is advertised as coming with the unit:

The microPOD II is Chrysler's new interface for CAN vehicles. It works with the wiTECH software on all CAN Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Fiat vehicles. the microPOD II connects to a laptop using the provided USB cable or wirelessly over a WiFi network.

The microPOD II Diagnostic Package includes:
• microPOD II Interface
• 1 Year Software License
• 1 year Subscription to TechAuthority

If i got this (tain't cheap) i would want to be able to do the install for some others in the Viper community...anyone need this service?? I'm not so much interested in doing this for profit, would like to just get some help paying for it - IF IT IS THE CORRECT THING...

mjorgensen
11-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know for sure if this device/tool is what is needed to do the GEN IV off road PCM install? This is what is advertised as coming with the unit:

If i got this (tain't cheap) i would want to be able to do the install for some others in the Viper community...anyone need this service?? I'm not so much interested in doing this for profit, would like to just get some help paying for it - IF IT IS THE CORRECT THING...

Even if you have the tools, you have to have a monthly subscription that dealers pay for which is probably more than the cost of the tool...

TCurtner
11-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Will the latest tool (mentioned above) that the dealers are now using do the same thing as the star scan (which is the one mentioned in the instructions)? Does the tech need to be Viper certified at the dealer? Are there any Gotchas with this mating of the car to the race controller that I or a mechanic at a Dodge dealership should know about?

mjorgensen
11-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Will the latest tool (mentioned above) that the dealers are now using do the same thing as the star scan (which is the one mentioned in the instructions)? Does the tech need to be Viper certified at the dealer? Are there any Gotchas with this mating of the car to the race controller that I or a mechanic at a Dodge dealership should know about?

Start scan will not work, any Tech that can read and follow instructions sent with PCM should be able to do it really, they have to do similar replacing any PCM.

TCurtner
11-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Start scan will not work, any Tech that can read and follow instructions sent with PCM should be able to do it really, they have to do similar replacing any PCM.
DONE!!!!
OK, Knoxville area GenIV Viper owners - Secret City in Oak Ridge TN ( http://www.secretcitychryslerdodgejeepram.com/ ) has some car guys there that are serious about service and getting the job done for you. Josh Surgenor is the service manager there, and he was quick not only to call me back (after an internet inquiry - one of those 'fill out the form and we will contact you' deals ) but was almost anxious to do the PCM work (and gave me his personal cell # to boot). Dave was one of the master techs there - and they actually put him and another on the task. Just over an hour later, i was test driving with Dave, and the final checks were done. In my opinion outstanding communications with me and they did a perfect job. Maybe this programming is an easy task, but finding someone around this area that will do it while you wait, and letting YOU drive for the appropriate steps is not easy. I am very happy and would - at least for this task - recommend them.

While we were doing the test drive, Dave told me about them having recently completed a blower setup (i am thinking the Paxton or similar) on a viper (probably a Gen III??), so apparently they are capable of much more...

I'm telling you the difference with just my Gen V manifold swap - contrary to what i read on most of the threads here - is UNREAL...Now second gear when on-the-cam is scary on the street. It breaks away at about 4700rpm even uphill! Maybe something was wrong with the stock setup and putting this mopar controller in fixed an unrealized problem that i had, but i'll just say i'm content. I can hardly wait to put on my headers/cats/corsa combination next....(hmmm maybe i should have asked Josh to price it out???)

:drive: