PDA

View Full Version : SRT Driving Experience ,San Jose, CA

Solid Red 98
12-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok, so I finally got to drive the Gen 5 Viper. At what looked like a Viper club event set up in the SAP stadium parking lot, I rolled up to a parade of Gen 5's lined up and ready to drive. Occupying the lot was a full array of Gen 2, 3,and 4 cars driven to the event for a direct comparison by their owners. The SRT staff proceeded to preach to the choir and a few others about the features and capabilities of the newest iteration of Viperdom. I could have jumped right in and gotten my twenty-minute test drive over with, but I wanted to stay behind and observe the reactions of the returning drivers. I saw a variety of expressions, all of which could be considered positive by SRT. Comments ranged from "holy crap"," to man these are nice cars"; smiles and, "now what am I going to have to sell?" expressions.

Mine is a 1998 GTS, now I love my car, and it has been modded to suit me so far, though the job is never really done. Here are my initial impressions of the 2013 GTS edition after twenty minutes of seat time in and around San Jose California:

First off, the '98 is easier to get in and out of, and feels more more roomy and "airy" to me. It is brighter, as there is more glass, and forward upward visibility is better. The top of the Gen 5's windshield is really quite low, and I am a mere 5'9". Rearward visibility is pretty much limited to the mirrors, which are Viper small. A quick turn of the head in traffic brings little joy, or additional info, so that is something to get used to. The brake and accelerator are pretty close together, so big feet beware. The seats are extremely comfortable, and since I had driven 60 miles to the event, comparison was easy. No break-in required. The feel was firm, yet supple and supportive. The steering wheel shape is excellent, coupled with the larger diameter, for less hand fatigue. The clutch is a revelation in terms of its ease and smoothness. Shifting felt precise, with a nice short throw. The engine response to accelerator inputs was nice and linear, in that, it gives you pretty much what you ask for. Compared to my Gen 2 with 3:55 gears and a "proper" cable tied to the throttle plates, the 5 felt a tad muted, and almost sluggish from a standing start; similar to a stock diff ratio and oversized tires. A fair amount of gas is needed to get her moving without a stall--which some testers did. There is not as much low rpm torque off idle as in other generations. Blipping the throttle seemed somewhat disconnected; drive by wire, I guess. Naturally you would get used to it, but i am referring to an instant comparison between gens. I could definitely feel the taller 1st and 2nd gears; 5th and 6th are closer relation.

The 98 feels lighter and scrappier than the decidedly more refined 5--lively in a word...you decide whether thats good or bad. The ride of the new Viper is phenomenal. It is composed over the uneven California roads, and its body rigidity is immediately apparent. It tracks like its on rails, and truly feels more confidence inspiring and ready for very high speeds. We didn't get to really mash on them too much, as SRT set up an urban course that included the types of driving that we normally do; traffic, sprints, lights etc. There were two freeway interchanges with merges that tend to reward Viper drivers as well as a two mile sprint on good pavement--a good demo. From the driver's seat, you are constantly reminded that you are driving something very special. Seeing the other 5's on the road really shows of how truly exotic the cars are--nothing new, of course if you are already driving any generation of Viper, and no they don't look NOTHIN like a Corvette in motion. Multiple Gen 5's were quite the spectacle, even on exotic jaded Silicon Valley roads. The brakes are very immediate and powerful for the street. The compartment had no squeaks, creeks, or rattles. The fit and finish of all that leather and alcantara is first rate.

I literally felt like I was driving a grown up version of my car. SRT did an excellent job of taking the Gen 2 and refining what need to be refined, and preserving what needed to be preserved. The new car has all the feel of the older models, but it is muted just enough, with the exception of the exhaust--it is delightfully loud. It pops and snorts, as a performance car should. There is drone at certain rpms, which was surprising, but some would say, that is what the gear selector and accelerator are for. The instrumentation took the most getting used to. Classical Vipers have it all right there to see, so it took me a moment or three to get oriented. As a new owner, you would have to play with all that stuff to truly settle in, you know, display screens and the like. I have to admit that all the power assists available in the GTS were really nice and quite welcome to the party. It was remarkable to me how quick I actually got used to the new version, in terms of the overall experience. Now I want one.

When I sat in my car for the voyage home, it was almost like being awakened from a daydream. All of the little niggling things endemic to the 1998 that I attributed to being "raw" and "visceral" sports car traits are still valid, but they also might be considered an acquired taste, or maybe even slightly irksome. The first thing I literally bumped into, was effort involved in pressing my clutch--and I do mean effort, comparatively speaking. My shifter was almost agricultural in its throw, and my steering wheel seemed very small to my hands. Oh yes, there were also the minor issues of my now late feeling brakes, and a keyed ignition. Strangely, It felt like a smaller car--like an AC Cobra or something slightly...historical. All the inputs were so direct, so last century, quite endearing, actually, and I love it!

Yes, the Gen 5 is a more refined, grown up world class Viper that you don't have to make excuses for. The way it is set up I doubt that you would even have to worry about the valet putting it into a wall. Its a Gen 2 Viper touched by an angel, named Ralph. Anyone hating on the car either hasn't driven one, or just doesn't like Vipers. The car is a Gem, plain and simple. It is not a Vette, It is not a Porsche, and it really should't be directly compared to most other marks. It is VIPER. It is a spirited and unique machine like no other, that has truly come of age. I'm gonna get me one--sooner rather than later.

ViperSmith
12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Great write up man.

Anyone hating on the car either hasn't driven one, or just doesn't like Vipers.

Have to agree. I have no reference point with past Vipers, but you can't drive it and not love it.

12-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I got to drive one yesterday also. They've done an amazing job in lightening the 2013 -- they let us lift the hood and the hatch. I feel like I have better rear visibility in Gen II's also, I'm not sure they should have an extra disc just for the emergency brake. Gorgeous -- the bottom-side of the hood you can see her carbon fiber panties niiice.

Space Truckin
12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Nice ass in the seat review, "refining what need to be refined, and preserving what needed to be preserved" as with any new generation of any car there will always be haters. As said, once you drive it, you can't help but love it. :drive:

Smog Dog
12-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Very nice review....a pleasure to read your impressions!

Bill

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
12-19-2013, 10:09 AM
SRT as usual was a "Class Act".. I choose the Track Pack for my demo.. Ran great, but really needs a set of our BBG GTS-R Shorty Headers and our new BBG G5 Competition Clutch Kit to wake up the Beast..!!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:United_States:

ViperTony
12-19-2013, 10:40 AM
SRT as usual was a "Class Act".. I choose the Track Pack for my demo.. Ran great, but really needs a set of our BBG GTS-R Shorty Headers and our new BBG G5 Competition Clutch Kit to wake up the Beast..!!

You're just a tad biased aren't you? ;)

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
12-19-2013, 11:06 AM
:D
You're just a tad biased aren't you? ;)

Yes Sir!! BTW I never post photos of myself but the Track Pack looked pretty sweet.. :lol2:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
Toddy