PDA

View Full Version : Viper For Track Days? Need Advice

sqidd
10-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Howdy all. New to the world of Vipers.

I’m in the market for a track day car. I roadraced motorcycle’s for 10yrs but I’m too old to be bouncing down the track on my head. So cars it is.

I did a few track days these past two seasons in my 2007 Mustang. Which is set up pretty well. But it has a huge blower, makes way too much power, it’s over complicated, runs hot, bla, bla, bla. Not a great track car. I’m looking at Z06’s, GT350R’s and Vipers now. I’ve found a 2009 ACR that is all stock with low miles.

What are the pitfalls of this car? Does it overheat? Does it eat differentials? Eat front hubs? Eat motors?

Because of my motorcycle racing I’m very comfortable in cars. And I don’t pussy foot around. I’m not looking to beat the guts out of what I get, but it will be driven hard.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? What to get? What not to get? Etc? I don’t know anything about Vipers aside from them being really cool and I drove one about 1000yrs ago on the street.

Thanks

str5010
10-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Don't have firsthand experience myself yet as I'm also trying to pick up a gen IV ACR, but factory guidance says that track sessions longer than 25 minutes drive a recommendation for an external differential cooler. I believe the factory supply of replacement rear diffs has been exhausted also.

sqidd
10-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Don't have firsthand experience myself yet as I'm also trying to pick up a gen IV ACR, but factory guidance says that track sessions longer than 25 minutes drive a recommendation for an external differential cooler. I believe the factory supply of replacement rear diffs has been exhausted also.

Putting a cooler on is no big deal. I even have two brand new pumps and coolers on the shelf. The "no more diffs" thing is a little scary though.

Thanks

Viper vince
10-27-2015, 11:45 AM
The Gen 4 Acr is a great choice for what you want to do . They got it right with the Gen 4 car compared to the Gen 3 . You and push this car and it won't let you down .

sqidd
10-27-2015, 11:48 AM
The Gen 4 Acr is a great choice for what you want to do . They got it right with the Gen 4 car compared to the Gen 3 . You and push this car and it won't let you down .

Can you help me out with the gen thing? I did a google search this morning and got conflicting results. What Gen's are what years? I was under the impression the 2009 was the Gen III. Then Gen IV starts in 2011???

Thanks

str5010
10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
1: 1992-1995, 2: 1996-2002, 3: 2003-2006, 4: 2008-2010, 5: 2013-current.

str5010
10-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Of the gen 4 ACRs, 2008-2009 are basically the same and in 2010 they got a revised rear wing for more efficient aero and 5th gear ratio went from something like .74:1 up to .86:1. Numbers are from memory so they may be off slightly. Get a new 2016 ACR if you can because I don't need anyone driving up the price of gen 4 cars haha.

sqidd
10-27-2015, 12:26 PM
1: 1992-1995, 2: 1996-2002, 3: 2003-2006, 4: 2008-2010, 5: 2013-current.

Of the gen 4 ACRs, 2008-2009 are basically the same and in 2010 they got a revised rear wing for more efficient aero and 5th gear ratio went from something like .74:1 up to .86:1. Numbers are from memory so they may be off slightly. Get a new 2016 ACR if you can because I don't need anyone driving up the price of gen 4 cars haha.

Perfect. It sounds like I landed on the right Gen then.

Thanks

XSnake
10-27-2015, 02:51 PM
There are no pitfalls to the G4 ACR's. Add some 15-50 oil and some good brake fluid and you're good to go at the track. Keep up on general maintenance stuff and you will be fine for a long time. There are some very good cars available right now as well. VE has a Gray/Sil car that already has some very nice mods on it if you are going to be adding some. Buying something already done will save you $$$ in the long run. http://www.viperexchange.com/vehicle-details/2009-dodge-viper-srt10-acr-tx-id-9638005

ACR08
10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
I have a 2008 Gen IV ACR and love it. It's a blast to drive and holds or held a lot of records on different tracks which means even a good driver will enjoy the car for a long time as they try to live up to its potential. Plus the car looks awesome. Most HPDE sessions only last 25 minutes, so unless you're doing some serious racing or endurance events you won't need the rear diff cooler. Gen IV ACRs also seem to be holding their price very well. So while they are expensive to get into, you don't feel like you just threw money away.

If you can afford a Gen V ACR, I would probably go that way. One advantage the Gen IV has over the Gen V is that it's a known entity and has proven itself to be bullet proof. After reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like the Gen V has some minor issues that are still being worked out. The Gen IV is also cheaper to maintain and track since it doesn't have Carbon ceramic brakes. CCB's are awesome but very expensive to replace.

I love both Vipers and Mustangs so the new GT350R sounds like a very tempting offer too. You might be able to get into a brand new GT350R with the track package cheaper than you can get into an ACR. I've read nothing but good reviews about the GT350 and you'll have the most recent technology. Those carbon wheels are sweet and the Voodoo engine is suppose to be amazing. However, I don't thing the GT350 will be as fast as the GenIV ACR. Also if you want to be able to tune/adjust your car the ACR is the way to go. It truly is a race car built to go on the street. Not a street car built for the track.

Dodge really did create something very special with the the Gen IV ACR. It still holds the record at many tracks and those tracks where it lost the record, it is still near the top often in front of cars much younger and much more expensive than it. Other cars from its same year (i.e. Corvettes and Porsches) have slid much further down the rankings. I'm sure the Gen V ACR is going to pickup where the Gen IV left off. All hail the Viper ACR, king of the track.

Tom Sessions
10-27-2015, 03:16 PM
if you are looking for a dedicated track car don't forget about a comp coupe. There are some out there right now that have good prices on them. And they are much safer then a street car.

sqidd
10-27-2015, 04:06 PM
I have a 2008 Gen IV ACR and love it. It's a blast to drive and holds or held a lot of records on different tracks which means even a good driver will enjoy the car for a long time as they try to live up to its potential.
That's what I want. I want something challenging. The bikes kinda ruined me for most cars. If it isn't trying to kill you, it isn't fun!!!:D

Plus the car looks awesome.
This. I was texting with a friend earlier about the car and his first reply was "All I heard was bla, bla, bla....VIPER!!!". That pretty much sums that up.

If you can afford a Gen V ACR, I would probably go that way.
Unfortunately that won't happen. This is at the outer edge of what I can justify.

I love both Vipers and Mustangs so the new GT350R sounds like a very tempting offer too. You might be able to get into a brand new GT350R with the track package cheaper than you can get into an ACR. I've read nothing but good reviews about the GT350 and you'll have the most recent technology. Those carbon wheels are sweet and the Voodoo engine is suppose to be amazing. However, I don't thing the GT350 will be as fast as the GenIV ACR. Also if you want to be able to tune/adjust your car the ACR is the way to go. It truly is a race car built to go on the street. Not a street car built for the track.
The GT350R is bad mother. My best friend is for lack of a better definition the "Performance Team Manager" for the product. I have been around them all year this year. Great car right out of the box. fantastic lap times for something without wings and massive tires. I'm not the only one who has some question marks about the motor though. And it really doesn't make THAT much power. $70 at the tires is strong. But it's not 550 at the tires. And I can't touch one for under $10K over. I have hard time paying over retail for anything.

Dodge really did create something very special with the the Gen IV ACR. It still holds the record at many tracks and those tracks where it lost the record, it is still near the top often in front of cars much younger and much more expensive than it. Other cars from its same year (i.e. Corvettes and Porsches) have slid much further down the rankings. I'm sure the Gen V ACR is going to pickup where the Gen IV left off. All hail the Viper ACR, king of the track.
I've been poking around and seems to be the consensus. A bad, bad ride for sure.

if you are looking for a dedicated track car don't forget about a comp coupe. There are some out there right now that have good prices on them. And they are much safer then a street car.

It will put in most of its miles at the track. What is a Comp Coupe? Any links to ones for sale?

Thanks everyone for their input!

AZTVR
10-27-2015, 05:21 PM
What is a Comp Coupe? Any links to ones for sale?

Non-streetable, full out race car ! http://www.drivesrt.com/racing/heritage/viper-competition-coupe/

http://driveviper.com/classifieds/comp-coupe-2f-acr-x-2f-gts-r/p1156-007-comp-coupe-for-sale.html

http://www.cindilux.com/lux-performance-group/for-sale/viper-competition-coupe

sqidd
10-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Non-streetable, full out race car ! http://www.drivesrt.com/racing/heritage/viper-competition-coupe/

http://driveviper.com/classifieds/comp-coupe-2f-acr-x-2f-gts-r/p1156-007-comp-coupe-for-sale.html

http://www.cindilux.com/lux-performance-group/for-sale/viper-competition-coupe

Sweeeeetttttt!!!!

I need to have a car I can drive on the street though. I won't drive it much, but it needs to be an option.

DLA
11-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Don't buy the Z06, unless it's C5. C6 & C7 both are garbage.
GT350...let a others buy and report before really considering.
I just bought my first Viper (2016 ACR). It's the real deal. Been tracking since new. Zero issues. 170 track miles on it. 50 street miles; most of those are dealership to the track.

Boba Fett
11-24-2015, 09:35 PM
ok....^^

Russ Oasis
11-25-2015, 10:55 AM

This is very good advice from a guy who knows. Buy a comp coupe.

Vprbite
11-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Also, don't forget about the ACR X. That is one bad mutha shut yo mouth. It's the hardcore ACR but trimmed down in fighting shape. No creature comforts, or street comforts if you will, to speak of. But it was faster around the ring than the ACR. I'm sure due in part to its diet. As I alluded to earlier, if the ACR is a Boxer, the ACR X is a boxer in his fighting shape 3 days before the fight. Lean and mean.

It can not be driven on streets though. So if you need to be able to drive to and from the track, it won't work for you. And neither will the comp coupe. The ACR is a best bet for a track oriented car that can be streeted. I haven't heard of any problems with the ACR. They are pretty bulletproof. As far as all the stock diffs spoken for, I think snakeoyl has a new drop in unit IF that came up. As far as I know, they are not known to do that. Also, if you got an ACR it wouldn't be tough to put in a cage. A couple different fabricators can take care of you in that department.

FrankBarba
11-26-2015, 10:02 AM
If you decide to purchase an ACR and have a Cage installed check with your DOT to make
sure that your car is cleared to be driven on the street.

ViperGeorge
11-26-2015, 12:49 PM
For a track car that is legal to drive on the street you cannot beat the Gen 4 ACR for the money. I had a 2009 ACR and it was awesome. I think for the track I actually liked it better than my 2015 TA 2.0. Put in harnesses. Add the Arrow controller. Need to change oil frequently for track use - Mobil 1 15W-50 is the way to go. Use Motul 600 or better brake fluid. Bleed the brakes often and also do the clutch. The stock fluid in the clutch gets dirty quickly and it boils and then the clutch pedal goes limp. It can still happen even with Motul 600 if you have headers but it is far less likely and bleeding the clutch regularly eliminates the issue altogether. I used Raybestos 43 racing brake pads and a slightly less aggressive Raybestos pad in the rear. I've tried them all and found the Raybestos to be easy on the rotors, they work at ambient temperature, handle high heat, and are not too noisy on the street. In fact I used them on the street all the time.

My old ACR had the Mopar controller and ARH headers with high flow cats. Also had a rollbar. Traded it for my TA. The guy that bought it added the Arrow controller and he tells me it dyno'd well, something like 700 at the crank using a 15% loss.

schulmann
11-28-2015, 05:48 AM
The 2007 Mustangs are great budget track cars that require extensive modifications and maintenance to be track ready. They are fun to drive you can push it to the limits. It has ESP.
Mustangs are very budget oriented.

The 2009 ACR is one of the most reliable track cars factory out, I would rate it bullet proof even after 20000 track miles ! It is also budget friendly, except when you hit the wall. And many drivers did.The ONLY issue with that generation is that it does not have stability control, it is a major issue for 90% of the drivers (track & street). This is why 1/3 of the Vipers end up in the junk yard :(
but If you have extensive driving experience it is very fun to drive but you can't drift it like a 2007 Mustang. It is very rewarding to drive a Viper on the track.
With the right maintenance Vipers are very reliable.

Z06 ? Favorite in many driver's hands, they are fast because they have stability control but they have reliability issues. They are fast cars but rarely finish the lapping day. (Like Subaru sti)

The newer Mustangs like the Boss302 (350R now) are much better than the older Mustangs, they are reliable, they don't require much modification to be track ready, budget friendly, easy to drive.

Vipers are definitely good all around cars (street and track). They are beautiful, rare and attract attention.
If you have the budget I advise you to go for a GEN5 Viper with stability control.

And I forgot the ACR-X : breath taking track car but you can't drive it on the street. One of the best track cars that I ever drove. Very very stable, comfortable (yes) but hot like a sauna, funny to drive, however it needs slick tires to stick it to the track. It runs on the track like if it was on rails (until you loose control). Again you need extensive track experience to enjoy the ACR-X. My dream is own one of them but I don't have the equipment to transport it to the track.

And everything depends on your driving style, personality and the track where you drive the most.

911 ? very expensive in maintenance, it is good for Doctors.

Camfab
11-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Just a guess, but my thought is that a guy who raced motorcycles for 10 yrs. isn't worried about stability control. I could be wrong.............

fuggles
11-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Just get the 2009 ACR. Awesome car. You won't be disappointed. :)