PDA

View Full Version : Seems GM is finding the issues in it's Z06,

Coloviper
10-20-2015, 08:51 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/21/chevrolet-finds-cause-and-solution-for-corvette-z06-engine-problem/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_661640

Then again it is Fox News. Maybe they source some internal components from same place as Viper. Shavings issues causing catastrophic "boom", just like some Vipers unfortunately. Guess just a sign of the times as no manufacturer seems to be immune these days.

swexlin
10-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Yes, all have issues. Interesting thought the GM makes the national news, but not the Viper. Of course, in this case, perhaps that's a good thing. Although these issues for any manufacturer, especially those of us that own these cars, is never a good thing. Ever do any reading over at Rennlist? P-cars have many issues as well, unfortunately, no one is immune, and shit happens.

Dman
10-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Interesting. It is amazing to me to have machining or assembly issues in this day & age on cars, excluding electronics. These failures are the result of basic engine work. I could probably understand it if there was a ghost in the machine issue with a harness or PCM/sensor.

Also interesting how harsh the comments are, man some peeps hating on the Corvette. I thought people only called the viper junk, apparently the vette is "junk" too, with it's over priced low-tech engine. Who are these people?

Regardless how you 'feel' about the vette, or the govt bailout, a car person has to respect the vette performance, without assembly issues ... it can flog the top exotics on a road course, and it's 'merican. It's like a viper, well it's like the vipers ugly sister who's got a 'butter' face, but is world class in the sack.

ViperSmith
10-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Eh, they'll all have issues. As long as the manufacture stands behind their vehicles that is all that matters.

lochnessmonster
10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
At first they said it was the filters themselves. Now they are saying that it's metal shavings left behind during the machining process. That's fine, I can accept that with respect to the catastrophic failures, but it still doesn't address the multitude of problems that have been plaguing the Z06 from the outset. You've got cracking tires, peeling paint, orange peel paint, paint runs, ripping interiors, overheating, engine implosions, horrible customer service experiences, on and on and on................................... Saying, "Hey, we found the reason why our engines are imploding", is great, but that car has so many more problems, and GM doesn't seem to be addressing them at all. I'm so glad I did my research before making my purchase. I couldn't be happier.

lochnessmonster
10-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Eh, they'll all have issues. As long as the manufacture stands behind their vehicles that is all that matters.

Yeah, not so much, read this. BTW, this type of experience is very consistent with others I have read:

"My Z06 blown engine and poor GM customer Service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been holding off and trying to be civil about my recent issue with my Z06.

to make it short, my engine blew up in my brand new 2015 3LT Z06 w/ z07 pkg with only 28X miles on the odometer on June 24th, 2015.

car was bought from CA and was shipped to CO where I drove it for a total of 120miles in about ~3 months then shipped it Dubai for few weeks and probably drove it ~60miles then to Doha, Qatar where its currently located and drove it the rest of the miles before the incident.

before someone asks,,,, I own multiple properties in different countries around the world, thus the reason why some of my cars fly a lot...

back to the topic. Car was towed next day to the dealer. I was busy and couldn't go to drop the keys off and talk to them the next day so had to go after the weekend (since they were closed). first thing in the morning I show up and received the worst customer service from the dealer (Aljaidah Chevrolet in Doha, Qatar) and really mean the worst customer service.

They looked at the car and figured its an issue in the short block (they don't know exactly what it is) and told me the only way they will fix the car if I am welling to pay for it myself since the warranty is voided due to the car being purchased from a different dealer. I told them i need to understand why they voided my warranty and based on what. since the warranty book with the car says that I can get service and warranty done if I am touring a different country and or have permanently moved to any foreign country other than the United States, Canada, or Mexico that have a Chevrolet dealer and or a dealer that sells GM cars!! Simple easy to understand and was one of my concerns a year ago before I sent one of my vettes to Europe and same this year with this Z06 (I did actually read the warranty book and figured I should be good to go)

Figured you know, this is just a dealer, and I cant blame GM about controlling the behavior of every individual dealer.

So I contacted Kaylee D., Chevrolet Customer Care, username on the forum: Chevy Cust Svc on June 29th to tell her my story and get me on contact with the right person. She responded back the next day and told me she sent all the info to the internal team. Sure enough the next day a lady at GM executive office leaves me a VM with her contact info so that I can call her and discuss the story. after multiple failed attempts to get ahold of her (left with multiple VMs), I finally did after couple days around July 2nd (in which I had to call btw, she didn’t return any of my calls)

she asked me bunch of questions and I told her the complete story about the incident and everything. So she said she will be in contact with me to let me know. few days later I call her back since I didn’t hear back from her and she tells me my case was transferred to another lady and she gave me her extension and phone number. I was like ok. (this is the week of July 6th)

after multiple failed attempts to get a hold of the other lady, she finally calls me back after couple days which was Wed the 8th. I had to repeat the whole story again to her, and she says she will need to contact a different department being the car not in the US. and she will call me back no later than Friday the same week. She was very nice and really made me feel good about the situation and she thanked me for being a loyal customer (since she looked me up and saw that I have owned many chevy cars/trucks)…etc

Friday comes and I waited all day for her call and nothing. So I call her back Monday the 13th and it goes to her VM and it says she will be out of her office and she will not be back till Monday the 20th. In that case I of course didn’t want to wait any longer so I call the main number and leave a voice message so that someone can get a hold of me due to the nature of the situation and that I need immediate assistance.

Couple days later I get a call from a guy on the 15th. of course had to repeat the whole thing again since he doesn’t know my situation. and same thing, he said he needs to get a hold of his supervisor and see how to go about this situation. He told me he will call me no later than friday the same week. I was being funny and just joking around and said thats what the last lady said and she took the whole week off and never called me back. He said oh no I will make sure to follow up with you. I said ok.

sure enough friday comes and he doesn’t call me. at this point I am starting to get really really frustrated. its Friday the 17th, over 3 weeks after the incident and I didn’t get anywhere.

I call him back on monday the 20th, He apologized and said he was waiting on his supervisor who also was waiting on someone else to tell me what to do. He said the way he sees this, is that, it will be handled one of two ways, either they get a hold of the dealership in Qatar and have them fix the car under the warranty, or the worst option is, I will have to pay to fix the car, and will get reimbursed for all the repairs. I said I am fine either way. He advised to wait though till Wed the 22nd and that he should have the final answer to how to go around this situation.

I wait all day Wed, again no calls, I call him late in the afternoon and no response. started to get upset. I call him the next morning, he doesn’t pick up. leave him a message to call me back… all day Thursday and nothing. tried again friday couple times and left a message too, nothing. call him again Monday the 27th (over a month now!!) he doesn’t pick up and doesn’t return my calls. I called him almost every day since and leave him VM nothing he doesn’t call me back or anything. Finally on Friday the 31st I get a hold of him later in the afternoon and was like whats going on!!!!!!

I tell him you said you will call me Wed the 22nd and you never did. I said I called you almost every day after that and didn’t receive a single call back. He tells me, his supervisor advised him not to call me or contact me. and that someone from GM will get a hold of me!!!!!! He goes on saying, GM decided that I need to send the car back to the states and take it to any dealer but has to be the USA!!!!!

I was so pissed off, I told him your supervisor told you not to call me?? not to even at least tell me that I should be waiting on someone else to call me other than him and tell me what he found out??? he said yes. I said ok get me your supervisor that told you that I would like to talk to him to see why would he advise you not to talk to me or call me back at least just to tell me whats going on. he said ok. he puts me on hold. and then a supervisor (a different one) talks me and she starts by apologizing about this whole situation and she said how sorry a loyal customer like me is going through this, but its out of her hand … etc etc. I said you know, what I am really pissed of is the way I am getting treated, and how I call the guy a dozen of times and leave him many messages, and he never calls me back!!! even the last time I got a hold of him, I was the one that actually called him. She admitted that wasnt acceptable and she will definitaly take some action toward that (dont remeber that exact wording, but same meaning) they probably wouldnt even say anything but it made me feel better haha.

she says she will have someone get a hold of me by Wed this week. I said really??? after all this wait and going through all this BS I still have to wait till Wed. She says yea I guess you are right, I will put a note to have someone contact you as soon as possible which will probably be Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Yea heard that before.. and sure enough up till this second no one called me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a simple issue is turning into a major problem due to poor customer service both from the dealer and GM. at first I thought the dealer I was dealing with had a poor customer service, only to receive even worse treatment from GM!!! Good job!

now they want me to send the car back to the US to get it fixed!!!! really!!??

I currenlty own 6 Corvettes. and have owned probably about 13 in the last 10 years not to mention other chevy cars/trucks and even the executive office were thanking me for being a Loyal customer and this is how I get treated???? I guess they really appreciate my loyalty lol me and my whole family have always bought Chevy and other GM cars. I can’t even list the number of cars total me, my dad, and my brothers have owned!!! I sure didn’t buy them all brand new, but I would say 50% of the time they were.

this will def make me think about buying another corvette, in fact probably any Chevrolet. I now really appreciate other brands that I have bought, as I have been in similar situation (the nature of my business and type of work) and never received this type of customer service. I have owned all kind of cars from normal daily drivers, to trucks, to luxury cars and was always pleased. one situation was when my Panamera engine had a problem in Dubai (which I bought in the US used by the way and had it shipped there after 9 months of owning it) they dealer took it in, and sure at first they had to contact the main Porsche to see about the warranty and sure took about 10 days, but they got approval to fix it under warranty, and car was done in about a month.

look at the compression.

used car VS new car
Both were purchased in the US and had to be fixed at a different county
one car had 12k miles the other had less than 300miles
one car was 2 years old, while the other is still brand new less than 8 months.
One car took 10 days to get the situation sorted, the other been over a month and still no response.
one car was fixed no questions or concern, the dealer even called me about a week later after recieving my car to see if there is any concern and wanted me to participate in a survey to tell them about my experiance,

the other dealer kicked me out of the dealership, had me waiting for over 2 hours, manager didn't even care to come and talk to me by person, and they didn't even bother calling me haha

Thank you GM. Still waiting on your call. seems like no one there really cares!!!!"

ViperGTS
10-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Sounds like the daily business in the U.S. of A. - nobody wants to take over responsibility anymore. Nobody. Sad. Just sad...

ViperSmith
10-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Yeah, not so much, read this. BTW, this type of experience is very consistent with others I have read:

"My Z06 blown engine and poor GM customer Service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that awhile ago. Seems the issues revolve around the export of the car more than anything and the guy got tied up in that goofy mess.

lochnessmonster
10-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Like I said, I've read many experiences on the Corvette forum that sound awfully similar to this one, and they were all domestic customers. I researched my Viper purchase for a year and a half before pulling the trigger last May. I was on FCHAT, Corvette forum, Ferrari Life, VCA, VOA, Viper Alley, Lamborghini forum.............. on and on........ I read anything and everything. I felt that I would get the most accurate information regarding my prospective cars (Gallardo, 360/430, Z06, Viper, etc.) from these forums, and I did. It became abundantly clear very early on that GM customer service absolutely sucked, and engines on the Corvettes were imploding with customers pulling their hair out trying to get the problem resolved. The Ferrari's reliability was garbage and expensive to fix, and the dealerships couldn't give a shit about their customers. The Gallardo was fine (just an Audi in Italian clothes) if you purchased one after the '04/'05 models. But there was one common theme: the forum members consistently reminisced about their Viper ownership, and wished they had never sold their car. That told me all I needed to know.

EdwardETraylorIII
10-20-2015, 12:51 PM
This info is 2 months old. The Corvetteforum has already had two mushroom clouds over this... No biggie... Our Vipers have just as many issues... I love both my C7Z and my G5V. Both are seriously bad ass (especially with each having over 950 rwhp! lol).

SinasViperTA
10-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Sounds like the daily business in the U.S. of A. - nobody wants to take over responsibility anymore. Nobody. Sad. Just sad...

This :(

Stealth
10-20-2015, 02:10 PM
There will always be some problems. This metal shavings, etc. issue does not seem widespread.

The more serious issues relate to design defects in the motor and supercharger which cause chronic oil, coolant and power steering overheating and limp mode.

donk_316
10-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Dear lochnessmonster. Remember me? Your long lost brother! Haha! I would love to scream through the desert in my viper. Wow, very cool. Did some time in Yemen once. Kinda close...

lochnessmonster
10-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Hey Donk,

Sorry for the confusion, but that letter was not written by me, just one of the many disgruntled GM customers. I'm lot's closer to you than Qatar. Not Oil Country, but Saskatchewan is pretty close :)

donk_316
10-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Well at least we have something in common. Haha! Cool.

lochnessmonster
10-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Yep :dude3: