PDA

View Full Version : Built Motor VS Supercharged VS Twin Turbos

slitherv10
12-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Ok, so, what's the verdict guys/gals. What is the best bang for your buck.

This is putting into perspective a few notions.

You are looking for 650-750RWHP

Keeping in mind...

Reliability

Maintenance costs and intervals

Power on demand principles

resale values

and anything else you guys can think of to make the comparison viable.

BlknBlu
12-14-2013, 07:27 PM
If you are tracking the vehicle a built motor will not get as much heat soak.

Bruce

Martyb
12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
I think NA is more reliable, but more costly to get big numbers. I would love to have a stroker NA engine, maybe someday.

slitherv10
12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
If you are tracking the vehicle a built motor will not get as much heat soak.

Bruce

If your tracking, wouldn't stock be the better way engine wise. The track can be utilized better with braking and suspension upgrades no ?

ICPREY
12-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Track,drag, or street car?

FLATOUT
12-14-2013, 08:39 PM
When you use the term "built motor" what exactly do you mean?

Heads & Cam hydraulic or solid roller
Stroker motor
Forged internals/Stock internals

Or are you using the term "built motor" as a general term for an NA build?

Red Snake
12-14-2013, 09:00 PM
650-750 rwhp?

Gotta be Supercharged.

Way less $$$$ than TT or N/A to get to this power level. Its not even close IMHO.

ICPREY
12-14-2013, 09:14 PM
650-750 rwhp?

Gotta be Supercharged.

Way less $$$$ than TT or N/A to get to this power level. Its not even close IMHO.

What he said. The year of the Viper will also play a role.

BigBadViper
12-14-2013, 09:15 PM
What are you using the Viper for, drag racing, or road racing, or just street driving?

slitherv10
12-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I have been going through this debate for a while now and can't seem to get my head around it.

go the cheaper route and sell my car and get a car that has the set up's already? How were they built and how was the car used and abused? Is the savings worth the headaches if they come up?

Talked to Will at RS! a while ago regarding getting a TT set up and he gave me an unbelievable deal with many extras but, I couldn't stand the thought of having no one here to take care of any problems that may arise in the future.

I,m leaning towards TT but I need a dealer to step up to the plate and offer some peace of mind and most importantly, I need an honest one that will deliver the goods and not give me a headache as some have had with a few in the past. The forums are great for getting the word out. I don't want to end up being one of those guys that get told " I told you so".

I also don't want to go through with one of these routes and find out I cant drive and cruise with my Viper anymore worried about what may go wrong. Overheat, something breaks or something is acting up. Reliability is key here !!

XSnake
12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
What are you going to be using the car for mainly?

plumcrazy
12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
gen 1, 2,3 or 4 ?

what ya gonna use it for mainly ? built motors can be boosted later on......... :)

Taylor
12-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Did you ask for resale value on a modded car? There is not much!

Never look for your money back, I know a lot of people, myself included who pass on highly modded cars.

I bought my viper about 2 months ago now, one thing I was for sure about, it had to be stock, and I was willing to pay more money just for that reason.

Smoky
12-15-2013, 12:16 PM
After owning and selling a TT Gallardo I can tell you that you will have a very difficult time with resale. The TT market is very small.

Supercharger should get you the gains you are looking for and still leave yourself room for resale later. You will also be able to develop a more well-rounded package around a supercharger. In my experience (based on supercharged F-bodies and Corvettes) you still have a lot of the NA usability of the powerband whereas with a TT you will find yourself more often than not in "arrest me" territory.

However, and take this next bit with a grain of salt as I am still getting caught up on the history and learnings in this regard...doesn't FI of any kind on a Viper require some level of engine build?

Ninjakris
12-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I know where you are coming from. I had a very clean mostly stock 03' and was toying around options for building the motor/FI. I ended up selling it for basically what I paid for it because most people want original cars. Then I did my homework and found a Paxton coupe that had all receipts and history from day one until my purchase. That car was the same price as a clean car with nothing done to it. Some might say there is more risk buying a built car, but really with a viper, there's risk in buying any of them used. Good luck with your decision.

Troublemaker
12-15-2013, 03:41 PM
After owning and selling a TT Gallardo I can tell you that you will have a very difficult time with resale. The TT market is very small.

Supercharger should get you the gains you are looking for and still leave yourself room for resale later. You will also be able to develop a more well-rounded package around a supercharger. In my experience (based on supercharged F-bodies and Corvettes) you still have a lot of the NA usability of the powerband whereas with a TT you will find yourself more often than not in "arrest me" territory.

However, and take this next bit with a grain of salt as I am still getting caught up on the history and learnings in this regard...doesn't FI of any kind on a Viper require some level of engine build?

It really depends on how much air you want to force into it. The 96-99s are the reigning kings of stock boosted motors, but they still have a relatively low ceiling. I have seen plenty of FI Gen3s, but knowing its limits and having the proper tune are very important. The way I see it, a built short block really isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of the entire build. But at that point you might as well throw a FI cam in there and then have some head work done. Then the drivetrain become the weak link, it's a viscous downward spiral so have you plan and budget laid out first, then leave a lot of room in the budget for "might as wells",

Red Snake
12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You boys are like a bunch of scared girls, lol.

When i bought my car i wasnt buying anything UNLESS It was modded to the hilt. ;)

XSnake
12-15-2013, 07:59 PM
You boys are like a bunch of scared girls, lol.

When i bought my car i wasnt buying anything UNLESS It was modded to the hilt. ;)

Yep, no sense in spending thousands when someone else already has. Let them take the hit

slitherv10
12-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Firstly to answer a few of the questions..

I have a 96 B/W and an 08 venom Red convertible.

Im looking at doing this to the 96.

Other debate is whether to keep the 08 and sell the 96. Ill have the 600Hp without the money invested and lost in the 96 build to get me there. Problem is, I love the 96 and the Gen 2 styling more and would hate to part with it. Don't really want to keep both at this point as I only drive one and hate to finick over which to drive. To be honest I am not much of a convertible guy.
I will be using the car 85% street, 10% drag and 5% track.

If I go with either the Super charger or TT, which one would need the least amount of extra mods to make it run right..eg..clutch, halfshafts,rad,etc...anything that should be done right away with the build or can things wait as they break? Im sure I would need a clutch in the near future but, how about the other stuff, can they wait or do they need to be done at the same time as the builds?

plumcrazy
12-16-2013, 05:27 AM
depends on how much power you want now... 650, 700, 750, 800 or more ?

No hemi
12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
From what i ve heard and read, and for what i think you want , i think going SC in your car will be the best option, you won't spend too much , you'll safely can achieve 650 rwhp, and if you decide to change route or to change to TT for BIG hp, later you can sell the sc kit and buy the TT kit, for any of those you'll need halfshafts, and better tires as well as other "upgrades anyway, the big difference will be in the type of FI you decide to go with, with heads and cam you Won't get to those numbers from a '96, maybe about 540 ish rwhp but i think that's about it w heads and cam (i am being optimist). good luck!! :-)

Red Snake
12-16-2013, 08:05 PM
My 97 has 660rwhp on stock engine, stock trans, stock clutch, stock half shafts. 10 pounds of boost and w/m.

Pick up a used Roe, take it to a good tuner and LET IT EAT. ;)

99RT10
12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
What he said. The year of the Viper will also play a role.

Off topic, what did you get out of the 2.8 Roe with the GG heads?

slitherv10
12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
depends on how much power you want now... 650, 700, 750, 800 or more ?

of course I would want what the car can handle stock...I believe I was told that the 96 can handle up to 800HP at the crank safely. So I would be shooting for that if possible. I realize TT is the only way at that Hp level.

From what i ve heard and read, and for what i think you want , i think going SC in your car will be the best option, you won't spend too much , you'll safely can achieve 650 rwhp, and if you decide to change route or to change to TT for BIG hp, later you can sell the sc kit and buy the TT kit, for any of those you'll need halfshafts, and better tires as well as other "upgrades anyway, the big difference will be in the type of FI you decide to go with, with heads and cam you Won't get to those numbers from a '96, maybe about 540 ish rwhp but i think that's about it w heads and cam (i am being optimist). good luck!! :-)

According to what you say, if I can only get to 550RW, then it would be stupid for me to spend 10K for 100HP with a supercharger. I might as well get an entry level TT and set it at low boost (650RWHP) and have future capabilities open to me. As things break, just replace them. I can't go any higher than 800Hp anyway without beefing up many parts on the car.
Ii think it looks like TT hands down, as my future goals of more than 600HP, falls in the lap of TT territory.

ICPREY
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
According to what you say, if I can only get to 550RW, then it would be stupid for me to spend 10K for 100HP with a supercharger. I might as well get an entry level TT and set it at low boost (650RWHP) and have future capabilities open to me. As things break, just replace them. I can't go any higher than 800Hp anyway without beefing up many parts on the car.
Ii think it looks like TT hands down, as my future goals of more than 600HP, falls in the lap of TT territory.

Your "best bang for buck" is gonna be a S/C. What entry level TT kit are you looking at? I would budget at least 20K for a TT kit unless you plan on doing the work yourself. I would keep it simple and go S/C.

ICPREY
12-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Off topic, what did you get out of the 2.8 Roe with the GG heads?

672RWHP/655TQ on a conservative tune (timing) with high flow cats. It uses the 8lb pulley from the 2.4L so the IATs should be lower. It had a lot of back to back dyno pulls (15 plus) in Florida July heat with no loss of power. I have a feeling it has a lot more in it, but I just wanted the car back after having it at a shop for a tune for five months. I had a build thread on the VCA about it.

KRATEDISEASE
12-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Agreed, Tator told me that my car could be returned to stock very easily and sold without my ROE supercharger should I choose....BUT Roe Racing told me that they will be doing Turbos in the future since there is greater power output will less Top end limitations should you want to go closer to 1000HP.

v10addiction
12-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Super Chargers are easy to install, and make great power and torque until they heat soak, but they will not last with regular track use.
Back to back pulls with a super charger on our dyno showed how bad heat soak kills the power after just two pulls.
This why S/C guys carry ice to the dyno to cool the intake and superchargers.
Even water to air inter-coolers can't cut it.
Just look at the ZR1, after one pull it's down 130hp.

Twin turbos are complex to route or fit, and at a nightmare to keep the oil moving back to the pan on a Viper.
Every oil pump on the market short of a dry sump fails rather quickly.
When the turbo oil pump stops, turbos die!
Dry sumps run $10k and up.

Plus turbo have lag issues and require very specialized tuning to be safe, and become a serious potential fire hazard due to the tight fit.
You are unlikely to get a good turbo setup to fit a viper without cutting a lot of the car, especially around the foot wells and front nose for the inter-cooler.

A well built N/A motor, making power and torque over 650 will cost a lot to build and will need exotic fuel to live there.
An average 600+ N/A build will cost $20k+, in most cases $30k.
Valve train alone could set you back $5k without heads.
They are bad ass, but to make that power, it will be unlikely you would drive it very far with the noise level associated with the bigger open exhaust required.

We have built them all, and the king power adder is Nitrous hands down!
Motor stays stock, runs at the track, only makes big power when you need it.
Down side, the bottles do run empty sooner or later.

We use nitrous, even on road race cars for passing.
Nitrous is cheap and easy to install, done properly will not hurt anything, even cleans pistons and valves.

Many companies make the parts, and you can easily hide the nitrous install on a Viper.

If you know anything about electronics, you can build multistage setups with their own fuel supply, allowing you to run 91-93 octane in the tank and supply race gas only during the nitrous shot.

With proper octane and plugs, no timing retarding or retuning is necessary.
Gen I and Gen II's can be tricked to enrich the fuel for use with dry shots up to 140hp.

The hit of the nitrous can be controlled by the design of the lines, so you can get out of the hole with the shot on.
You can also control it with window switches, O2 safety, and TPS detection.
There are some rules you have to follow, but no S/C, TT, or N/A car of equal power can beat a Nitrous car, properly set up and driven.

In short, it can be made idiot proof!

A well set up nitrous system can be built for around $1000.
A nice two stage system for $2000.
Power levels can range from 50hp-300hp+ on a stock Gen I or Gen II, 50hp-200hp on stock Gen 3-4's.

I ran a stock Gen I Rt/10 on a two stage 265hp system for years without any issues.
The car ran high 10's on drag radials.
We pulled the heads last year to put in cometic head gaskets (thinner) for more compression, and were stunned see the rings and cylinder walls were perfect at 67k miles, on all that racing.
The factory cross hatching was still perfect!

I know many who hide nitrous in their Viper, and smoke the newer cars at events, leaving owners shaking theirs heads.
Nothing hits faster and gets you moving quicker then nitrous.

Unlike a Super charger, TT, or N/A motor, whatever power level of Nitrous you run hits with that power no matter what rpm.
Super chargers suffer on the high end, TT's build huge intake heat at big power and lag on the bottom, negating much of the gains.
N/A motors need RPM to make the power, so you end up having to shift it perfectly to see the benefits plus pay through the nose for high octane fuel.

We own them all, and they all have there place.

But a street driven reliable Viper with mean power is easier and cheaper built on Nitrous.
On gen 3-4 Vipers, there are some other safety measures to consider, but we run Nitrous on our gen IV's as well.

If you want a dyno queen, S/C make torque, TT's make horsepower, and N/A make noise, and nitrous can match any of them.
You can even tune nitrous to produce torque over horsepower by simply running a richer shot.

Nitrous power gains do not require you to rev the motor anymore than stock (but will if you want), and shut down instantly for braking.
The same is not easily said for any other build.

PM me if you want details on how to put nitrous on a Viper.

J TNT
12-24-2013, 06:32 AM
^^^^^ Well said , I have had positive outcomes using Nitrous Oxide going as far back as 30 years ago . :drive:

Smoky
12-24-2013, 07:35 AM
I have also liked the "idea" of nitrous but my experience from my V8 days (as it relates to the OP's questions) were that it will eventually kill your motor unless your motor is built to take nitrous (heads, rings, cam, etc) you will eventually destroy the motor. And the sense was always that one would kill resale if the buyer becomes aware that nitrous was run on the motor.

I find your post and evidence interesting and would like to know more/hear from others with experience running nitrous for long periods on the Viper... You are suggesting that the Viper motor takes to nitrous well in stock form. Is that the common experience? Would love to hear the answer is "yes" but I've had it so beaten into me that it's "bad for the motor" that I find it hard to believe. What is the common consensus on "how much nitrous" and "how often is it used" to be considered a "safe and reliable power adder"?

How often during that two year period were you racing/running on nitrous? Was ECU tuning or piggyback chip involved? What type of setup? Direct or fogger? Would love to see the details become part of the thread rather than via PM alone.

Troublemaker
12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
When you really think about it, especially for the earlier Gens which aren't good breathers or revvers, a big shot of Oxygen seems like a logical step.

Red Snake
12-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah, nitrous is great.

Till it runs out, lol. Superchargers dont run out. And i have NEVER lost 100 hp on dyno pulls (w/m) with my car.
No way i would want to keep refilling bottles, or run out after a couple of runs.

Clearly everyone has their own preferences. To each his own, i guess.

slitherv10
12-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Super Chargers are easy to install, and make great power and torque until they heat soak, but they will not last with regular track use.
Back to back pulls with a super charger on our dyno showed how bad heat soak kills the power after just two pulls.
This why S/C guys carry ice to the dyno to cool the intake and superchargers.
Even water to air inter-coolers can't cut it.
Just look at the ZR1, after one pull it's down 130hp.

Twin turbos are complex to route or fit, and at a nightmare to keep the oil moving back to the pan on a Viper.
Every oil pump on the market short of a dry sump fails rather quickly.
When the turbo oil pump stops, turbos die!
Dry sumps run $10k and up.

Plus turbo have lag issues and require very specialized tuning to be safe, and become a serious potential fire hazard due to the tight fit.
You are unlikely to get a good turbo setup to fit a viper without cutting a lot of the car, especially around the foot wells and front nose for the inter-cooler.

A well built N/A motor, making power and torque over 650 will cost a lot to build and will need exotic fuel to live there.
An average 600+ N/A build will cost $20k+, in most cases $30k.
Valve train alone could set you back $5k without heads.
They are bad ass, but to make that power, it will be unlikely you would drive it very far with the noise level associated with the bigger open exhaust required.

We have built them all, and the king power adder is Nitrous hands down!
Motor stays stock, runs at the track, only makes big power when you need it.
Down side, the bottles do run empty sooner or later.

We use nitrous, even on road race cars for passing.
Nitrous is cheap and easy to install, done properly will not hurt anything, even cleans pistons and valves.

Many companies make the parts, and you can easily hide the nitrous install on a Viper.

If you know anything about electronics, you can build multistage setups with their own fuel supply, allowing you to run 91-93 octane in the tank and supply race gas only during the nitrous shot.

With proper octane and plugs, no timing retarding or retuning is necessary.
Gen I and Gen II's can be tricked to enrich the fuel for use with dry shots up to 140hp.

The hit of the nitrous can be controlled by the design of the lines, so you can get out of the hole with the shot on.
You can also control it with window switches, O2 safety, and TPS detection.
There are some rules you have to follow, but no S/C, TT, or N/A car of equal power can beat a Nitrous car, properly set up and driven.

In short, it can be made idiot proof!

A well set up nitrous system can be built for around $1000.
A nice two stage system for $2000.
Power levels can range from 50hp-300hp+ on a stock Gen I or Gen II, 50hp-200hp on stock Gen 3-4's.

I ran a stock Gen I Rt/10 on a two stage 265hp system for years without any issues.
The car ran high 10's on drag radials.
We pulled the heads last year to put in cometic head gaskets (thinner) for more compression, and were stunned see the rings and cylinder walls were perfect at 67k miles, on all that racing.
The factory cross hatching was still perfect!

I know many who hide nitrous in their Viper, and smoke the newer cars at events, leaving owners shaking theirs heads.
Nothing hits faster and gets you moving quicker then nitrous.

Unlike a Super charger, TT, or N/A motor, whatever power level of Nitrous you run hits with that power no matter what rpm.
Super chargers suffer on the high end, TT's build huge intake heat at big power and lag on the bottom, negating much of the gains.
N/A motors need RPM to make the power, so you end up having to shift it perfectly to see the benefits plus pay through the nose for high octane fuel.

We own them all, and they all have there place.

But a street driven reliable Viper with mean power is easier and cheaper built on Nitrous.
On gen 3-4 Vipers, there are some other safety measures to consider, but we run Nitrous on our gen IV's as well.

If you want a dyno queen, S/C make torque, TT's make horsepower, and N/A make noise, and nitrous can match any of them.
You can even tune nitrous to produce torque over horsepower by simply running a richer shot.

Nitrous power gains do not require you to rev the motor anymore than stock (but will if you want), and shut down instantly for braking.
The same is not easily said for any other build.

PM me if you want details on how to put nitrous on a Viper.

Now this is an interesting post. Definitely caught my attention. Would love to know more. You asked to Pm you but you are not excepting PM's...lol.

Pm me and leave me a number to get a hold of you. Thanks

plumcrazy
12-24-2013, 01:21 PM
nitrous was crazy fun on my old gen2. i ran over 100 bottles thru it in about 2 1/2 years. stuff is just fun but bottles running out is a PIA. the built motor with paxton was just as much fun with no worry about bottles. I always wanted to add a small shot (37) to the paxton. a boosted car takes very well to nitrous and its effect is worth 4 times as much cause of the cooling. I never got around to hooking it up, wish i did....

NI-KA
12-24-2013, 02:01 PM
What happened to reliability as a feature?

It seems that NA would be "ultimately" reliable if the build utilized factory stock GEN 4 heads on the '96.

The '96 has forged internals and I believe the desirable 708 CAM. So not much to be done on the bottom as long as it is running reliably now.

I am a little biased since the current build on my '97 is utilizing the GEN 4 heads.

v10addiction
12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
What happened to reliability as a feature?

It seems that NA would be "ultimately" reliable if the build utilized factory stock GEN 4 heads on the '96.

The '96 has forged internals and I believe the desirable 708 CAM. So not much to be done on the bottom as long as it is running reliably now.

I am a little biased since the current build on my '97 is utilizing the GEN 4 heads.

I have found over the decades, that most people believe a motor has to built for nitrous and somehow nitrous shortens the life of a motor.
The truth is, most Super Charges are installed on stock motors, and the power limitations imposed on the boost is due to the engine builds.

Most people who spend the money on turbo's will build the motor as well.
But the same is not normally the case to SC cars.

Ring gap is the issue in most cases, but the pistons themselves can also be a problem.
Hence the low power output numbers from factory kits.

Allow me to elaborate a bit:

Standard ring gap (the measurement of the separation in the ring ends of each ring at its tightest point in the cyclinder) is set for pollution requirements.
So "tight" is the standard, this permits as little escaping unburned fuel to pass by the rings to the inside of the block as possible, especially during cold running periods.

As the motor heats up, the ring gap closes.
Under heavy power conditions the rings swell from the heat and finish closing the gap.

When you add boost to a stock motor, the ring gap is too tight to add much more heat, as such it limits the amount of boost you can add.
A lot of Viper guys can tell you what happens when the ring gap swells to fully closed and tries to push beyond.
The rings seize into the cylinder wall and it all goes boom!

The best SC package on the market can't compensate for the ring gap, so the science dictates you have a low ceiling before heat is an issue.

The reason intake temps are so critical, is the air density and transferring cooling capability of the air allows for more heat to be absorbed.
This is why 8-lbs of boost on a after-cooled screw drive is not the same power as 8-lbs on an inter-cooled turbo setup.

During combustion, the piston and rings are surrounded in flame and extreme heat, thus swelling and closing the gap.
During exhaust they are beginning to cool, but are red hot (but have stopped swelling at least).
During intake they are cooled and shrink, opening slightly again.
Envisioning the manufacturer was trying to meet pollution requirements, you can see they weren't designing it for more power by leaving extra gap for you.

We are talking thousandths of an inch, but they are cast iron rings, and trapped in the ring landing, so they become brake pads to the cylinder walls until something gives and finally the motor is done.

Colder intake air means more power can be put through the cylinder.

Reliability comes in many forms, but if you are actually going to race a car long enough to empty a Nitrous bottle, consider how much power and how often you need it and build accordingly.

None of the world record holding mile cars, did it with just a Super charger, as the heat soak kills them on the top end.
Twin charged cars don't get there either for the same reason.

Turbos work great on the top end, but require a true engine build to get the real advantages.

Back to Nitrous.

So what happens when we dump huge power into a cylinder with a tight ring gap and nitrous?

Look at the science.

Any gas released from higher pressure to a lower pressure atmosphere cools on expansion.
Nitrous happens to drop the air temp -200f+

N2O is bound to one part pure oxygen.
This is way more power then any air you can squeeze in with boost.

Once released during combustion with the heat sucking cooling effect, the piston is actually cooled and the ring gap opens slightly.

Since it takes extreme heat to release the oxygen molecule, the combustion is actually extremely rich and very wet.
When this mixture hits the piston and rings, they vaporize it, and the corresponding vapor expands taking heat energy with it.
This happens while the valves are already closed, so the expansion alone adds power by moving the piston for lack of space.
The rings shrink and the gap opens and we can now add even more heat in the form of power.

The end result is you can get more power in the motor and in less time and safer with nitrous done properly.

Now for reliability.

If you invested the same amount of money in a proper nitrous setup, as you do in a SC kit, you would have a system so bad ass it would almost drive the car for you.
Nitrous costs dramatically less, period!

A nitrous system is only on when you program it to be, so your not stressing the engine or drive-line when it's off.

Many have tried to tune SC engines to keep the extreme power hit under control, but I have yet to see one actually do it well.
Most SC guys will tell you, if they hit is wrong they spin and loose.
Not even the mighty ZR1 has a grip on this, so basically they just kill the timing and power falls to get you under control.

Turbo's use boost controllers, but as most with a turbo (or twins) will tell you, once they hit your just along for the ride.
Pretty smoke usually follows.

I have seen more turbo and SC Viper's wrecked from this alone, then any else.
On the upside though, we all need their spare parts contribution.

So what can you do when you car gets a SC or Turbo installed for tuning?
If its a Gen IV/5 your screwed.
If its a gen I/II/III, the now out of production VEC's or AEM.
If its a Gen II/II the ever disappointing out of production SCT.
Lets not forget the dangerous but still around Split Second box, allowing you to put two fuel pumps under your hood next to your exhaust to catch fire in a collision.
Ask a few Viper guys about that.

Now when you decide on how you will tune your boosted motor, you have to decide if you will spend the countless hours to master tuning, or be at the mercy of a shop who can screw you anytime, purposely or not, and blame your stock motor, or some other parts you had no control of.

The fact is, a SC and turbo car will need tuning several times per year, as the average temperature changes.

Most won't get the tuning done, so they run lean when its cool and rich when its hot and dramatically shorten the life the engine.

If you build a bass ass N/A build, you fall in to the same issues and will be tuning all the time.
Your motor will be tougher and take more of a beating, but without regular re-tunes, it goes the same route.

It was originally asked in this thread about reliability.

I give you nitrous once again.

Nitrous is independent of your engines tuning.
The PCM does not care about it, properly installed the PCM will do nothing to interfere. (No re-tuning required)

The power is only there when you want it.
No extra wear and tear on the motor when it not being used.
You can't say the same for SC or Turbo cars.

Now lets say you want to race a SC and Turbo car with your nitrous car.

Picture your favorite stretch of straightaway.
You line up against an SC guy and a turbo guy.

The three honks take place and you all launch.
For the sake of bad driving skills, we will do this from 40mph.

The gate closes on the SC car and his full boost hits and he pulls on the turbo car instantly to 100mph
The gate closes on the turbo car, but he needs time to spool, so he falls behind a little and is only at 85mph.
Both cars have to worry about traction as the power hit is out of their control.

For sake of equality, we are assuming all car make 700hp to the wheels.

The nitrous car launches on base motor and 1 second in the nitrous begins to pulse in a small amount of power by wheel speed.
Only enough to reach the edge of traction.

Now you will say why don't the others do the same?

Because boost is not some small amount of air we can turn on and off so easily.
They try to do it with waste gates and blow-off valves, but they fall short, due to the strain on the impellers and slow reaction times of the valves.

So the nitrous car pulls right beside the SC car.

1/8 mile passes:

The turbo car spools fully, but at every gear shift, he drops boost and an average of 7mph and looses .6 seconds to get back to full boost.

The SC car does not loose so much between shifts, but begins to heat soak and the intake temps rise displacing oxygen thus loosing power.
Black smoke begins to dump from the SC cars exhaust.
A great tune here (most are not) will try and bring the fuel back to compensate for less oxygen, most do not.
As the heat rises, the SC motor begins to run richer and make extreme heat in the exhaust (fire risk goes up exponentially here).
The SC driver will also be dealing with every shift possibly breaking traction.
During each shift, the valve closes on the SC and recirculates the the same air multiple passes through the SC and heats up even more.
Once the throttle goes back full, the super heated air hits the cylinders (hence the need to run cooler plugs and less timing, all for this brief moment).

The nitrous car will be at full power and every shift the nitrous shuts off automatically by throttle position, until he is fully back in the next gear.
No time lost between shifts, and the nitrous controller can dial back the power just after gear engagement, to reduce the chances of wheel spin again.

1/4 Mile passes.

The SC car begins to fall behind and you can imagine his disappointment.
The turbo car is pulling his ass off, but every shift the nitrous car walks on him a little more.

End result the nitrous guy will win until the bottle goes empty.
How long that takes, depends on how much of a shot.

A 15 lbs bottle with a 150hp shot, will last a full 3 mile run. (granted, the bottle temp will drop and the shot will go richer as time goes by, but he will be way ahead)
So if your favorite racing stretch is over three miles, mount two bottles. :)

We use nitrous to help re-spool turbos after a shift, but the truth is, a turbo motor needs a clutch-less up-shift sequential gear box to really shine, with our without nitrous.

SC cars are fun to run around on the street, but as I stated above, they need regular tuning and suck in heat and traffic.

Turbo cars are a blast and great dyno number cars, but again will require regular tuning, huge modifications to the car, and high costs.

Nitrous cars require you to change the bottle from time to time.

To handle filling your own bottles (reducing costs), you simple go to a gas supply company and lease a N2O bottle (sometimes called nitrous plus, $10 a month).
Ask for one with a siphon tube installed.
Buy an extra bottle fitting and a line to go between your cars bottle and the leased bottle (at lest 6ft long).

With your cars bottle emptied, set in on a scale and get it's empty weight, record this on the bottle.

To fill your empty bottle, keep the leased bottle in someplace out of the way (room temp) and store your cars bottle in a deep freezer over night.

Connect the lines to both bottles (quickly as your bottle is now removed from the freezer and is warming).
Set your bottle on the scale and open the valves allowing warmer nitrous from the leased bottle to flow to the colder empty bottle.
Watch the weight as your bottle gets heavier and reaches the weight of amount of nitrous the bottle is designed for. (nitrous weight)
If the bottle does not fill, simply put it back in the freezer and cool it again and try the process again until you get your total weight.

Beside price savings, you can top off your bottle instead of pay for a full bottle every time.
Just log your bottles empty weight the first time, and from there on you can top it off when you want.

Yes you can squeeze more in, but the science of nitrous dictates that, as the bottle warms, pressure will rise, so higher pressures cause leaner run conditions.
800-1100 psi is the range you want the bottle to be at for great power and reliability when you fire the shot, and liquid N2O is what you want spraying into the motor.
So I would recommend you not exceed 18lbs of nitrous in a 15lbs bottle, and keep it away from extreme heat.
If you are mounting it under the rear deck of a GTS or Coupe, stay conservative and stick to the bottle rating due to sunlight heating up under the glass.

How you plumb the nitrous lines dictates how hard or soft it hits before reaching full power.

Example: Direct port injected nitrous kits hit softer because the metal tubing to each cylinder port heat soaks and expands the nitrous before it reaches the cylinder.
The longer the metal tube, the softer the hit.
12 inches of metal tubing to the jet gives you about 1/2 second of delay to full hit.

This why some systems have coiled tubing on the lines, to slow the hit mechanically.
Of course, after that delay is overcome by cold, its instant.

So in summary, and well designed Nitrous system is far more reliable and easier to drive then anything but stock.

As for the guy who claimed he never saw a loss on the dyno on his Supercharger.
That black cloud of smoke shooting out of your exhaust when the boost is full, is not a sign of your amazing engine power.
It is unburned fuel resulting from your combustion process going rich from your boost heating up (heat soak) and thinning the air.
Translation, power loss.
I have thousands of dyno logs from 7 years of almost exclusively Viper dyno pulls on every kind of build to back my story.
Take it from someone who knows, you don't have the ONE supercharger that does not loose power from heat soak.

If you build your motor for nitrous you can do even more.

I have built several 12+/1 compression N/A motors, and I always add extra ring gap for nitrous, just in case.
Most builders I know do the same.
N/A is bad ass and sounds wicked when it starts and runs, but nobody tears an engine apart to bring it back in a new mean form and not support at least Nitrous.

Most of the SC cars (especially the centrifugal ones) couldn't beat a stock mustang out of the hole.
If your into all around performance (not racing from 60 like the guys who can get out of the hole do) you want power everywhere.
Lets face it, what Viper isn't already a handful out of the hole stock?

The cooling effect of nitrous is so profound, it actually adds base power to the motor due to the cooling of the intake charge.
This is why many turbo guys use it down stream after the inter-cooler to spool the motor faster.

So if you want some shop to bolt on a super charger so you can brag you have one, go for it.
If you want to kick their ass and keep it a secret, while keeping every other aspect of reliability in the car you had before hand, I give you NITROUS.

By the way, I fixed the private message issue I believe, so people can PM me.

If anyone is interested, I will post part numbers and build specs to do this yourself.
I am retired from building them for others, and simple build mine and my kids Vipers for our racing these days.
But I love to consult and am glad to lend a hand to fellow Viper lovers.

All you SC and Turbo guys should not take offense, the ultimate combination is dependent on your personal preference, the question was reliability.

Me, I own one of everything and race everything I own.

I road race a N/A 700rwhp Viper with an extra 250hp single stage nitrous shot.
I drag race a Supercharged 900rwhp Viper with an extra 300hp two stage nitrous shot.
I mile race a twin turbo Viper 1800rwhp+, soon to have 600hp nitrous three stage shot.

I cruise them on the street all!
Some more cautiously than others.

Ninjakris
12-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Thank You, that was well throughout and you broke it down enough for someone like myself who doesn't quite understand the science behind nitrous. here's a question for you. I have a Paxton car with the basic kit. With your explanation of ring gaps, and how nitrous actually helps out the situation, would you see any reason not to do a small shot for 1/2 mile or mile events? I would only run 50-100 if I did it. My old school though would be its too much for the car, but according to what I think I read, it will take it just fine. obviously I would do all the tuning and fuel needed, but I have done a couple nitrous kits on otherwise N/A cars before and the process isn't that difficult. Plus it will look bad ass to have a big bottle under my hatch glass.

Also, for what its worth, I'm a huge fan of NOS. I have been around lots of cars with it and as long as the tuning is done right, they have always done well.

slitherv10
01-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Wow, this write-up was not all Greek to me as many tend to usually. I totally agree with the above post^^^

Great job. Now I hate you! You've just turned my whole line of thought into a complete 180 degree. I will be looking at this option as it looks like, when properly installed, it can have a lot more benefits from the others and for a lot less money.
Reliability is foremost for me and this seems to hit it right on the nail. For me anyways.

v10addiction
01-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank You, that was well throughout and you broke it down enough for someone like myself who doesn't quite understand the science behind nitrous. here's a question for you. I have a Paxton car with the basic kit. With your explanation of ring gaps, and how nitrous actually helps out the situation, would you see any reason not to do a small shot for 1/2 mile or mile events? I would only run 50-100 if I did it. My old school though would be its too much for the car, but according to what I think I read, it will take it just fine. obviously I would do all the tuning and fuel needed, but I have done a couple nitrous kits on otherwise N/A cars before and the process isn't that difficult. Plus it will look bad ass to have a big bottle under my hatch glass.

Also, for what its worth, I'm a huge fan of NOS. I have been around lots of cars with it and as long as the tuning is done right, they have always done well.

Actually, pairing a Paxton and nitrous is fairly simple and can be done safely.

The trick here it to get the nitrous out of the way when you get the desired power level of the Paxton achieved.
To do this, you build the nitrous system with a few electronics to make it failure proof.

1. Use a RPM window switch to restrict the nitrous to a specific RPM range.
(say 3500-5500) Several factors are involved, but in short, we do not want nitrous spraying before you have grip, and we want to ensure no over revving, in the event you snap the wheels loose or break the drive-line, both of which your Paxton could do alone. As you tune the shot, you can adjust this up of down, my range is a starting point for most.

2. Use a TPS gate switch(Throttle position sensor switch) The biggest problem with the setup is that you will be spraying nitrous in the front end of the intake, or even outside of the throttle body.
This ensures you can not fire the nitrous unless you are at wide open throttle, thus preventing any backfire potential.

3. O2 sensor gate switch (02 sensor measure voltage to ensure if for any reason your motor goes lean during the nitrous shot, the nitrous shuts off)

4. Optional PSI pressure switch (this allows you to shut down the nitrous when the desired boost is achieved and return again when boost fades on the top end).

All of this engineered properly sounds complex, but is really just a some wiring and plumbing to give you a safe and brainless nitrous hit.

Since each of these electronics can prevent the shot, they also function as (when all are in proper range) to turn it back on or off as parameters are meet.

For example, when you shift in a race, you often break the tires loose.
The TPS switch would see the throttle close and stop the nitrous until it returned to full.

As you top out a gear, the RPM gate would drop the nitrous.

As your boost begins to fade from back to back pulls resulting in heat soak, the nitrous

The net gain of a 50hp shot on your first dyno pull would equate to 50hp, plus approximately 1hp for every 20 degrees the air temp drops.
When your motor and paxton were on back to back pulls, the diastolic loss would be offset by the cooling resulting in little if any loss from the paxton.

What missing in the power equation is power under the curve.

Power in a Viper is very broad. Peak power is only usable at peak.
What you Paxton does not do is give you that massive power gain down low like a screw drive would.

Nitrous is independent of you engines power band and slaps that power everywhere.

So lets put that to use in an example.

Like most paxton kits, the power comes on at 4500+.
So until then you are working on base engine power minus the loss incurred by the drag of the super charger plus the restrict air path the intake will suffer.

So at 1500rpm say, you have 150hp and 200tq base.
Now add 50hp and 50tq from nitrous and you have 33% more power out of the box and 25% torque, plus you spun the super charger up quicker to it's power band.
In addition, the cooling effect of the minimal 50hp shot gained another 12-25hp on the motor on the bottom end, and none of this gain required a motor build or re-tune.

So in short, you can do this no problem, and its not difficult to do.

Many companies have come out with the electronics I mentioned, and some bundle them now to allow you to even re-tune the shot on the fly based on what is going on.
With that, you can have 100 or 200 shot become a 50 in the end and double your bottom end only briefly until the Paxton takes over.

Imagine, having the bottom end power of your Paxton but never stressing the motor of the total Paxton power addition.

v10addiction
01-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Wow, this write-up was not all Greek to me as many tend to usually. I totally agree with the above post^^^

Great job. Now I hate you! You've just turned my whole line of thought into a complete 180 degree. I will be looking at this option as it looks like, when properly installed, it can have a lot more benefits from the others and for a lot less money.
Reliability is foremost for me and this seems to hit it right on the nail. For me anyways.

Well I am glad to expand your thinking somewhat.

Nitrous is not a final solution for most, due to the bottles capacity, but I was raised in the world of big horsepower.
The law has always been "you run what you bring".
If your going with just a super charger or turbo, you will get beat when someone like me shows up with nitrous on top on of the same setup.

So even if you never fire the shot, it looks bad ass and its there when you want it!

What is so amazing about nitrous is how easily you can control the shot and hence the power gain, electronically.
With careful study on your launch, you can launch on nitrous and increase the power as your traction permits.

There are nitrous cars knocking on the door in terms of power and speed, of top fuel dragsters.

Most do not know any of the history of nitrous, but it has been around in strange engines for almost a century.
The Germans used it to dominate air space and out climb their enemies for most of WWII.

In fact the turbine was developed from research knowledge gained from the use of Nitrous on prop planes.
German dive bombers carried two 60lb nitrous bottles on every run, effectively doubling there power in thinning air above where the enemies could even fly.

It does the same for your engine, effectively putting usable oxygen where no more would fit.

Nine Ball
01-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I like N2O + Paxton. It has served me pretty well :)

LittleCobra
01-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Most do not know any of the history of nitrous, but it has been around in strange engines for almost a century.
The Germans used it to dominate air space and out climb their enemies for most of WWII.

This is interesting because I always thought they added superchargers for this purpose. I do faintly recall the use of water/meth but was previously unaware of the nitrous use.

Ninjakris
01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for breaking it down for me with the Paxton/NOS relationship. I am going to have my wife read this so she doesn't think I'm crazy when I start buying nitrous components. Lol.

ACRucrazy
01-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Has anyone successfully put a big shot on a Gen IV? I have "heard' people have, I have seen pics of a bottle or two installed, I have yet to see dyno, video, or any real proof of how its been done.

Great read however, thanks for giving me something to turn the gears.

v10addiction
01-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Has anyone successfully put a big shot on a Gen IV? I have "heard' people have, I have seen pics of a bottle or two installed, I have yet to see dyno, video, or any real proof of how its been done.

Great read however, thanks for giving me something to turn the gears.

We ran a 2008 ACR with a 150 shot for several races without any issues.
To the tune of about 40 15lb bottles of nitrous.
This particular car had 20k miles on it already.

The pistons are not ideal for this, so anymore would be pushing your luck in my opinion.

We tore the same motor down to swap pistons to the ACR-X forged, and found no signs of wear or any issues at all.
After measuring the ring gap, I would say the pistons are the limiting factor not the rings.

With forged pistons, the motor is good to 1000hp.
With stock pistons, 800hp at the flywheel before the heat causes the pistons to start to swell into the cylinder walls.
The stock clutch is only good to about 800hp to the wheels before we have seen them start coming apart.

If you are going to do this on a stock Gen IV, make sure you have great cats.
The factory cats will not like the extra heat for very long.

We run two ACR-X's with 250hp shots all the time, and these motors live at 6000rpm for 30-45 minute races.
Sometimes we run two bottles for the 90 minutes races.
Nothing says "excuse me but I am passing now" like a nitrous shot!

If you can take the time when you build the nitrous system, add a small fuel cell (2 quarts) and separate fuel pump to run race fuel (unleaded only) for a wet shot.
This will give you the extra octane only when you need it, but most importantly, it will insure you do not lean out if the PCM decides to cut fuel pressure for any number of normal reasons (rev limit, throttle error, etc...).

I only mention this becuase many people will tap the fuel for the nitrous off the factory rail, and the PCM controls the rail pressure.

The only real danger with nitrous is a very lean shot can create a backfire.

As for dyno numbers, It wont matter what you put nitrous on, the dyno will show the power unless the drive-line gives up.

You can tune the shot for horsepower or torque by adding fuel for torque or taking it away (slightly) for horsepower.
Often people mistake acceleration out of the hole for horsepower.

To error on the rich fuel mixture side is safest and simply adds smoke to the exhaust.

We also have data that when we run the ACR-X's nitrous bottle empty (no more N20 to spray) if we continue to spray the fuel anyway, the motor makes an extra 40-60hp.
We backed that up on dyno tests and found they all run very lean on the top end, so the extra fuel just wakes it up.

dadstoy
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
kind of curious as to why the OP wants the big HP numbers. I think he said 85% street, 10% strip and 5% track. Are you looking for numbers for Bragging rights? I do not mean that in a bad way, we know men love big numbers. I am just curious as to why. We all want the biggest, baddest motor but he kept saying reliable is number 1. I had a built Trans Am and reliability goes out the window when you want big power. Be prepared to pay to play.

Mbccenter
03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
You can just trade in your 96' on my 97' B/W that is a fully built A.R.T. Twin Turbo. Everything done and ready to go :)

slitherv10
03-03-2014, 06:32 PM
You can just trade in your 96' on my 97' B/W that is a fully built A.R.T. Twin Turbo. Everything done and ready to go :)

Update from my original post......

In doing some research and talking with a few past and present TT owners, I have come to terms with the fact that as a strictly cruising car it would not be the correct choice as well as servicing issues since there is no one up my way that could keep this car tuned and running properly during my ownership. TT cars from what I have been told need a lot of attention to detail as far as tuning and keeping the car up to par so It can run right with no problems or issues. Lastly, as Dadstoy mentioned above, I did not put to heart (and reality) for that matter, that the amount of HP that a TT has would be wasted HP on the street. Not usable and a detriment in what it represents. The drag strip is the only "real" home for those babies. That is where they shine. Where the build is truly justified. They are also very hard to sell as most feel the same as I do and use the car far less than what it was built for.
SC cars are a tad more streetable but have their own issues in regards to overheating and or tuning as well. Also with reselling issues.
Built NA motor is really a better option than the above 3 and more reliable, less tuning issues and not as much things breaking down as the others. Of course this is assuming all three versions are built correctly and HP is relevant to the build. What I mean is, if your spending the big money for a lot of HP your never really going to use, then why build it and waist the money. 1000Hp is useless on the street. 650 is ore streetable and thus a NA build to get close to that for half the money spent is more feasible.
Nothing taken away from the TT and SC builds , each to their own but, in the end, its a small market for them and thus a hard sell. Beautiful cars that are beautiful to look at and admire, but questionable when ownership comes to fruition.

I have decided to sell my 08 vert and maybe my 96 GTS and settle for an ACR and get the best of both worlds. Power and performance and reliability.

Mbccenter
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Update from my original post......

In doing some research and talking with a few past and present TT owners, I have come to terms with the fact that as a strictly cruising car it would not be the correct choice as well as servicing issues since there is no one up my way that could keep this car tuned and running properly during my ownership. TT cars from what I have been told need a lot of attention to detail as far as tuning and keeping the car up to par so It can run right with no problems or issues. Lastly, as Dadstoy mentioned above, I did not put to heart (and reality) for that matter, that the amount of HP that a TT has would be wasted HP on the street. Not usable and a detriment in what it represents. The drag strip is the only "real" home for those babies. That is where they shine. Where the build is truly justified. They are also very hard to sell as most feel the same as I do and use the car far less than what it was built for.
SC cars are a tad more streetable but have their own issues in regards to overheating and or tuning as well. Also with reselling issues.
Built NA motor is really a better option than the above 3 and more reliable, less tuning issues and not as much things breaking down as the others. Of course this is assuming all three versions are built correctly and HP is relevant to the build. What I mean is, if your spending the big money for a lot of HP your never really going to use, then why build it and waist the money. 1000Hp is useless on the street. 650 is ore streetable and thus a NA build to get close to that for half the money spent is more feasible.
Nothing taken away from the TT and SC builds , each to their own but, in the end, its a small market for them and thus a hard sell. Beautiful cars that are beautiful to look at and admire, but questionable when ownership comes to fruition.

I have decided to sell my 08 vert and maybe my 96 GTS and settle for an ACR and get the best of both worlds. Power and performance and reliability.

I am sorry but you could not be more wrong in your statement. I have had them all and as with any of them it is in the quality of the build that will make the difference in the maintenance you have to put in. Also has to do with how you drive the car. I have seen issues with them all and I have seen them run well. With turbos and supercharges you are adding parts that in turn adds more stuff that can go wrong. There is more maintenance involved with the more power you run in any of the applications.

I drive 1k rwhp + Vipers on the street all the time and love it. I am not a big track guy but still love the power for the street. Some say I have issues though.

I have owned over 50 Vipers and I can sell the TT's as easy or sometimes easier than stock ones. When you have a well built car they move. When selling a car it is just a matter of a buyer looking for what you are selling. Your market is smaller but your competition is also smaller with these cars.

Now with all that said a big monster built car is not for everyone. I love them but that does not mean they are for everyone. If you stick to mods that you don't mess with the tuning or fuel system that will be your most reliable option. Like with a ACR. They can make OK power when done but still nowhere near a TT. I do have a ACR also and am starting to mod it to get it in the 600+ rwhp range. If you have 2 cars then I would build one into a monster and the other mild. But that is the guy with issues talking :)

TowDawg
03-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Addiction, posting up some part numbers and layout would be awesome!
I've run nitrous in the past, but if something went bad (it never did), the motor would have been a whole lot cheaper to fix.
I thought about putting it on the Gen III (just a 150 shot), but by the time I added all of the fail-safes to it, I was over $3k, which at that point I started leaning toward SC. If there's a way to safely put together a set-up for $1k, then I'm definitely interested. I'm especially interested in how to be able to spray without having to have a system to retard timing when spraying, or having to run around on a lower power tune all the time just in case I might spray.

Red Snake
03-04-2014, 02:02 PM
lol,this thread cracks me up. :D

Red Snake
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Heres a supercharged Viper vs a built motor, + nitrous C6 Corvette in a 1/2 mile race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ounKIkTtalU

Red Snake
03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Supercharged Viper vs TT Built motor Cobra making 800+ rwhp in a 1/2 mile race. Note that it takes the whole 1/2 mile for the big hp car to run me down. Look where the cars are when we passed the 1/4 mile markers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGHx1X6ipA

Red Snake
03-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Just a few points here as well......I dont have to take my SC car back for re-tunes, I don't have heat soak issues, I don't have "black clouds of smoke" trailing my car. My car was set up and tuned by one the best in the country and it is spot on and dead nuts reliable. Been street driving it supercharged for about 7 years without issue.

This isn't theory, or conjecture on my part. It's real world, first hand experience.;)

Nixon's SRT
03-04-2014, 02:28 PM
My TT wins all day over my Paxton. Matt is right, the quality of the build is what makes the car. Its known that my TT car exploded after I bought it, the Tuner that tuned it had no clue what they were doing. I rebuilt it better than it was, tuned properly, and im still adding stuff to make it perfect, that's part of the game. You also have to buy or build what you will enjoy.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Just a few points here as well......I dont have to take my SC car back for re-tunes, I don't have heat soak issues, I don't have "black clouds of smoke" trailing my car. My car was set up and tuned by one the best in the country and it is spot on and dead nuts reliable. Been street driving it supercharged for about 7 years without issue.

This isn't theory, or conjecture on my part. It's real world, first hand experience.;)

Who did the install and what was the key point that made it a "Better" set up than others and what brand SC and pulley size. Also, what other mods are on the car?

Dagwood
05-16-2014, 04:52 PM
I have a Gen 3 and very interested in a NOS system for my stock motor that has nothing but a cat back corsa to stock manifolds and a 355 rear. I would like to put the best heads, cam and headers for sound and power if it's really going to do much more with having a NOS shot of just safe to the motor. What would be your suggestion and do you sell a designed NOS system with a street tune that is not going to kill the car's driveabili
ty?

slitherv10
05-16-2014, 11:14 PM
I have a Gen 3 and very interested in a NOS system for my stock motor that has nothing but a cat back corsa to stock manifolds and a 355 rear. I would like to put the best heads, cam and headers for sound and power if it's really going to do much more with having a NOS shot of just safe to the motor. What would be your suggestion and do you sell a designed NOS system with a street tune that is not going to kill the car's driveabili
ty?

You might want to start your own thread on that subject as it has nothing to do with this threads question.....Supercharged, built motor or TT....

There is a few threads here that have NOS information, In fact, there is one I opened up a while ago. Look up my profile and into the threads I started section on my profile and you will find it there.

Nine Ball
05-17-2014, 06:39 AM
ty?

www.nitrousoutlet.com

They sell a Gen 3 plate kit that bolts on behind the throttle body. Best parts in the industry, in my opinion.

Vipes
05-17-2014, 09:26 AM
I think everybody should drive a car with big power before they commit. Obviously we all have different goals but in my opinion the sweet spot for a street car with the occasional track run is 600-650 rwhp. Your car is only as fast as your tire will hook. When i had a couple hundred more than that in another car it was always a challenge to get the car to hook in the first few gears even with a drag radial. Street tires were pointless since I found myself doing rolling burnouts in 4th gear. Even with 600ish rwhp in a viper you will need at least a nitto drag radial to hook the first couple gears. Just my 2 cents.

plumcrazy
05-17-2014, 12:03 PM
i disagree

99RT10
05-17-2014, 02:41 PM
ty?

I have a set of JM(Jeff Morey) heads for sale. Were just cleaned out and check. Ready to go. PM me.

Troublemaker
05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
i disagree

With which part? He said a whole bunch of things.

Dagwood
06-10-2014, 05:05 AM
Very interesting post. I would be interested in a system for my stock Gen 3 if you sell them and can recommend a safe set-up for a stock motor. I would like guess about a 100 HP for the street. How would this affect drive-ability? and what are my options on how to set it up?

plumcrazy
06-10-2014, 05:16 AM
With which part? He said a whole bunch of things.

the parts in red

I think everybody should drive a car with big power before they commit. Obviously we all have different goals but in my opinion the sweet spot for a street car with the occasional track run is 600-650 rwhp. Your car is only as fast as your tire will hook. When i had a couple hundred more than that in another car it was always a challenge to get the car to hook in the first few gears even with a drag radial. Street tires were pointless since I found myself doing rolling burnouts in 4th gear. Even with 600ish rwhp in a viper you will need at least a nitto drag radial to hook the first couple gears

Vital velocity
06-10-2014, 09:54 AM
I had a DLM Paxton supercharged GTS and recently got into a Twin Turbo 06 and there is absolutely no comparison. I enjoyed my GTS but the TT is just a different car and I have enjoyed driving it MUCH more. As others have stated it all depends how you setup and go through with the build. My TT is setup exactly how I wanted to it but building it as such can become very expensive, very quickly.

Paolo Castellano
06-18-2014, 11:47 AM
of course I would want what the car can handle stock...I believe I was told that the 96 can handle up to 800HP at the crank safely. So I would be shooting for that if possible. I realize TT is the only way at that Hp level.

Here is a video of one of my setups on a bone stock 1996. 818 RWHP and 880 RWTQ on 10.5 PSI on a Mustang dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbF59ZyvA2k

A forged 1996-1999 will hold 800 RWHP all day long.

The question is getting a setup that uses the T-4 exhaust housings and does not have an IC blocking the radiator. My side mount layout achieves this while also providing gravity drain. My setup also provides a cool air intake piping path that all the footwell setups cannot provide due to the layout.

A properly laid out TT setup can road race pretty well at the 600-650 RWHP level.

Coloviper
06-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Beauty part of NA and Supercharger builds is they are truly bolt on. A TT build will require some modifications to fit which you can not reverse. Some cutting, trimming, etc. depending on the system chosen. For those anal enough ( I am at times ) this rules out a TT kit for me even though they tend to be the most powerful hands down. They are also the most expensive but you pay to play in the HP Game.

NA builds are old school in a good way as they use trucks, trades and parts to get the most out if a NA design. Whether just heads, intake, cam, simple exhaust , electronics and fuel mods or digging deep and stroking it with all associated ancillary equipment, it requires very knowledgable advice on exactly what to do, buy and what exact combo works. Only if you have this advice at hand, will you achieve the success for all that money spent. No heat soak issues but can have heating issues and other faults if everything does not come together right.

Now supercharging has a benefit of not touching the motor internals at all so you can retain the reliability of the factory build to some extent. You bolt on the blower system with intercooler which takes care of the CAI part ( you retain all original air intake systems. You change out the exhaust by bolting on new Headers, cats and cat back (retain all original pieces) you can add a meth system which is bolt on. You can bolt on new injectors, new fuel pumps, harmonic balancer, etc. ( retain all old parts) finally you can add an SCT to tune it, all of it from electronics to fuel to meth kit, etc. (to go back to factory is a flash away). A lot less evasive.

Each has their own advantages but my opinion is if you want to play and then go back to original, then the supercharger set up has a lot of advantages. It will not make the most power of the three but it is still a very good option. For the money, it is a great option.

Heat soak is an issue if you are driving the crap out of it but most people or majority just like the odd freeway entry rush.

Honestly if you are racing it around a track, do the basic mods (exhaust, CAI, tune, Etc) then upgrade the diff to a Quaife, gears, tranny mods, brakes upgrade, and driving education classes as well as seat time. You can have the best golf clubs in the world but that does not make you a good golfer. It takes all three.

But that is just my opinion.

Vprbite
06-19-2014, 05:49 PM
I have gotten spanked at the track by people with way less horsepower, so track performance is about more than that.

Still though, all motor builds just turn me on. I can't afford it right now anyway but I just dig the reliability and the overall way an all motor build goes together. I just dig it is all. Nothing wrong with the other options at all. If I were doing it, I would go all motor, but like anything, decide what raises the flag all the way up and go with it

slitherv10
06-19-2014, 10:00 PM
The best build seems to be the most reliable one.

You could make the car more powerful than a locomotive but, at the end of the day if it does not run properly and take you where you going with no issues, then I say that is the best build.

It seems I am getting all kinds answers. SC guys are complimenting those, TT guys are saying that is the way to go and NA guys are saying that is the ultimate build.

Too confusing really. I would say go with whatever fits your pocket.

Cheapest bang for you buck seems the SC, then the NA, then the TT. Reliability seems to follow the same order, although they all depend on the builder and tune of course. Again no definite answer.

I am leaning towards a SC for the street but not ruling out NA. TT is too much for my application. Street driving.

RTTTTed
06-20-2014, 01:17 AM
I agree with Red Snake. My 98 GTS had a 8psi boost HF cats and RT exhaust with smooth tubes, K&Ns with modified airbox. 598whp/644rwtq

I bought a 10psi roe with pistons, headers, 1.7 RR, 2" intake valves, springs, no cats and corsa exh. 689RWHP Added w/m inj and got about 720whp. I've been podium finishing since 2007 with that car. Ported the heads and gained more hp. I love spanking corvettes! Never "heat soaked" because that's a Paxton issue that a few thousand will fix. I have Nitrous solenoids and never bothered to hook up the fuel or bottle. I may "push the envelope" and finish the Nitrous install, but tiny hp as I have stock connecting rods and stock aluminium main caps so my engine is at risk past 750whp.

I bought a Paxton/Nitrous 2000ACR. Never turned on the Nitrous except to make certain that the solenoids clicked. Sold it and the engine blew when the Nitrous gas failed on one side of the engine.

I own a A.R.T. 99 TT GTS. Nothing stock as the 1500+hp requires extreme driveline parts. On pump gas this car goes low 9s and hits 215mph in 3/4 mile. Shitty street tires (BFG KDW) I ran 176mph in a half mile with tires spinning at 140mph at 6,500' alt. Although I bought this as the "Fastest car in Houston" I drove it back to Vancouver and have been fixing or trailering it ever since. Even on pump gas this car is insane! I absolutely love it. I don't feel comfortable driving the car (as I do my Roe GTS) because it has insane amounts of power and stuff breaks. My GForce racing transmission didn't last long and it took a long time and $1500 to fix it. It's a $6500 tranny (probably $7,000 now). Chrome moly dshaft, Billet yokes, titanium axles ($4400), Quaife, Penske shocks, 4" exh. Mega dollar car. I am building it for Bonneville next. I am beginning to think this car is for someone that has too much money.

I enjoy the occaissions that I run my TT GTS, but I drive my Roe GTS thousands of miles, kick ass, bring home the trophies and get 20mpg enjoying myself. This car has only had a plugged fuel filter (breakdown) once!

"Built engines" are pretty reliable, but require high stress parts or they will bust. They also wear out much faster, require high octane fuel and get lousy gas mileage.

James430
07-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info....just put a nitrous outlet plate system with a 100 hp shot on my 01 RT/10 with the mods you see in my signature below. Plan on adding a Paxton SC this winter and it sounds like a small shot of NOS for cooling (around 30 hp) will be the ticket ..is that right??.... I'm guessing that with the 512 rwhp I have now the SC should put me around 650 rwhp with 7 or 8 lbs. of boost, Is that pretty close?.....If anybody knows of a Roe SC for sale for a Gen 2 please let me know,would rather have one of those than a Paxton .

Thanks

plumcrazy
07-15-2014, 05:51 PM
james, nice setup. the numbers can be much higher or lower depending on the tune. its all in the tune !

SN95SNAKE
10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Very interesting info in this thread.

repiV
06-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Great thread with lots of info. I found it because I was wondering which way to go myself on my Gen3 if I decide to mod it. Now that I've read this I now know that all I need to do is build the motor....heads, cam, maybe bottom end, then add headers, exhaust, supercharger, NOS Kit....what's that?....$25K-$35K? A GenV is looking more and more affordable! LOL

Seriously though....great info! Gives a person contemplating more hp a lot of good info and things to think about.