PDA

View Full Version : New Camera I used last week on the Tail of the Dragon

Luisv
10-13-2015, 07:26 PM
I recently picked up a Garmin VIRB XE camera. I've had a few GoPros over the years and still have a pair. I wanted to get a camera that could give me some GPS data such as speed and map rather than just being a regular camera with no ability to overlay. I looked at a few options and decided to go with the Garmin because it also gave me the ability to connect other sensors via bluetooth. For example, I could get a heart rate monitor or and OBDII port reader. I took the camera on a trip to NC & TN I just made and here's a video.

Here's one pass at Tail of the Dragon. I made a couple but this one was clean in that we had no police or slower traffic for a reasonable time. I Slowed up once through there to relax a bit and give the engine a break. I was not out to break any records but I had a good time going up and got up there relatively quickly. The distance was a bit over 9 miles when I got to the truck and it took about 13 and a half minutes. So average MPH was a bit more than 40.

GPS loses signal once or twice. You'll see it show 5 or 6 MPH but you'll see we are moving faster. Other than that I love it. I have to try and connect the OBDII sensor now to capture RPM. They tell me that the Viper OBD rate is not the fastest, but we'll see. Everything here is from the video camera, G's, Speed, elevation, ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kt3Yjq0qg

Patentlaw
10-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Neat stuff.....thanks. Very professional.

A C R
10-14-2015, 08:46 PM
thanks for posting....looks like fun

viper04blk
01-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Thats really cool. Did it produce that real-time map in the bottom right corner?

Stretch
01-31-2016, 02:14 PM
That's really nice video. Do you have any pictures of how the camera is mounted?

Luisv
01-31-2016, 02:41 PM
Thats really cool. Did it produce that real-time map in the bottom right corner?

Yes and no. The camera has a GPS and an accelerometer built in. The camera stores the data on the video and then with an editor I can add any number of overlays. Speedometer, G forces and the Maps. I can even setup to record real time data from the OBD port via bluetooth but I have not set that up yet.

Luisv
01-31-2016, 02:55 PM
That's really nice video. Do you have any pictures of how the camera is mounted?

I made a bracket to mount on the front of the car on the bolts where you'd mount the tow hook. Here are a couple of shots. I then put the GoPro bases on top and bottom. I added a safety line to the thing to let me attach the cameras to in the event the pads come loose somehow.

I think there may be a shot of it mounted to the car someplace... but here is the bracket. It is rock solid so you have next to no vibration.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Misc%20Viper%20Shots/023d7a46a721692fce5ffe36c70b7aea_zpsq2mlu4re.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Misc%20Viper%20Shots/618e4383376286ff49b529396b8a963e_zps4cuilapv.jpg

Luisv
01-31-2016, 02:58 PM
I thought it would be harder to find the shot... I had one from a recent trip. It has a GoPro on there....

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Misc%20Viper%20Shots/PBL_140615485039-Edit_zpstl3v9umu.jpg

J TNT
01-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Nice video !
The tail of the Dragon is a lot of Fun, especially on 2 wheels and Gravity Cavity :)

viper04blk
01-31-2016, 07:08 PM
that map at the bottom corner is the most impressive feature. hahaha thats awesome

Joel
01-31-2016, 08:58 PM
I recently picked up a Garmin VIRB XE camera. I've had a few GoPros over the years and still have a pair. I wanted to get a camera that could give me some GPS data such as speed and map rather than just being a regular camera with no ability to overlay. I looked at a few options and decided to go with the Garmin because it also gave me the ability to connect other sensors via bluetooth. For example, I could get a heart rate monitor or and OBDII port reader. I took the camera on a trip to NC & TN I just made and here's a video.

Here's one pass at Tail of the Dragon. I made a couple but this one was clean in that we had no police or slower traffic for a reasonable time. I Slowed up once through there to relax a bit and give the engine a break. I was not out to break any records but I had a good time going up and got up there relatively quickly. The distance was a bit over 9 miles when I got to the truck and it took about 13 and a half minutes. So average MPH was a bit more than 40.

GPS loses signal once or twice. You'll see it show 5 or 6 MPH but you'll see we are moving faster. Other than that I love it. I have to try and connect the OBDII sensor now to capture RPM. They tell me that the Viper OBD rate is not the fastest, but we'll see. Everything here is from the video camera, G's, Speed, elevation, ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kt3Yjq0qg

You just made the best advert for our Tail of the Dragon event! Of course we don't recommend anyone speed on the Dragon or the Skyway! Be safe and never drive over your limits. Remember June 2-5 2016. Registration site up soon!

SlateEd
01-31-2016, 09:09 PM
That is cool footage! I've done the GPS overlay of data right on the iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer and it's super accurate, but the mounting options for a phone when you also want it to record the video are pretty limited.... not going to hang my phone off the front of the car haha.

Your GoPro mounting bracket is really trick - love that!

keep us posted if you get some OBD data overlays.

pony23
02-01-2016, 07:43 PM
That seems like a great go-pro alternative. Great video. Now I want to go drive my car.

Vprbite
02-09-2016, 02:00 AM
The auto racing bundle seems pretty sweet. Also, pretty comparable price point with GoPro and it comes with the OBD II reader. May give this a go.