PDA

View Full Version : Chipped windshield

Bleed viper
10-09-2015, 06:27 PM
So just under 1000 miles and just over one month of owning my new viper and the car in front of me flips up a rock and puts a dime sized chip in the windshield. Should I treat it like any other car and maybe call safe lite and get it repaired? Or should I treat it differently because of it being a new viper? What would you all do? Thanks for the opinions. I've finally stopped screaming curse words now!

Venomus
10-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I called Safelite and had a great experience with them. I did request two people to put the windshield in and not use the pivoting arm they advertise that is attached to the driver side window. My installer was top notch.

cashcorn
10-09-2015, 06:45 PM
count your blessings!! it could have been across your hood. call safe lite, just a normal windshield.

CarolinaViper
10-09-2015, 06:49 PM
I watch the guy who replace the windshield in my Tahoe easy....but he removed the trim piece and then inserted his cutting tool to cut the adhesive from around the glass and lifted the glass out. Viper has no trim piece and more than likely lays flat on the carbon fiber or some other support. The gap from the glass to roof and "A" pillars is really close. Other wards make sure whoever does has great insurance. Keep us informed. I live in a small town and neither of the two glass repair guys would replace my rear glass on my Gen V. They said the risk of damaging the CF is not worth the rewards of removing the glass.

ViperSmith
10-09-2015, 07:04 PM
i've had great success in other cars with having them sealed

AZTVR
10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
I would just have it repaired with epoxy if it isn't in your line of sight. My luck with replacing windshields is that I just get another chip within a few months. Arizona is hard on windshields, though, for some reason.

Also, I like a smaller locally owned windshield shop rather than a Safelite type deal. I'm sure that you can get just as good of a tech at Safelite; but, then again, a small business is more likely in position to choose and keep better techs.

Bleed viper
10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
You all are saying replace, would you not attempt their repair since it's so small? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

BJG32
10-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Repair it and give it 2 months. Replace if it bothers you after that. I find more times than not small imperfections don't bother me with time. Also i hear removing windshields can effect stability and body roll. Probably something 99% of owners wouldn't notice, but that might bug me more then a nearly invisible repair.

s2kmunpo
10-09-2015, 08:52 PM
I had a very small chip with two small cracks coming off it. I had Safelite repair it and they did a great job. It helped that the guy took his time and spent nearly 45 mins on it. Unfortunately there has been some separation on the crack portion of the repair, but I would definitely give the repair a shot before replacing.

Bleed viper
10-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll contact safelite and see what we can get done. Appreciate the help.

7TH_SIGN
10-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Repair it and give it 2 months. Replace if it bothers you after that.

I think this is the best course of action.

Venomus
10-10-2015, 07:27 AM
I tried the repair method and it never looked right. Safelite used the wire method to cut the old windshield out. Very slick process. If you're anal about your car like I am then replace it. Just my 2cents.

Herrsss
10-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I used Safelite to replace my '08's windshield and they did a great job. I have a small chip in my Medusa that I'm going to try the repair route first and see how that goes.

Zybane
10-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Definitely watch them when they remove the old windshield. I had a daily driver that had a windshield replaced and the tools they used to cut the sealant all around the windshield put serious nicks in the paint. Your typical crappy ass "service" you get these days.

darbgnik
10-11-2015, 12:42 AM
The sooner you try to repair it, the less of a chance there are contaminants in there, to interfere with the repair. It's a cheap roll of the dice to try to repair it. I'm in a high windshield damage area too, most insurance companies here don't even offer glass coverage, or if they do it's big money.

SADVIPER
10-12-2015, 09:03 AM
I hate that small rock I got, I'm gonna repair it and apply a protection with future protection replacement cycle!

Bleed viper
10-14-2015, 09:44 AM
They came here yesterday morning only took about 25 minutes or so. They guy knew a good bit about Vipers and we talk more than we probably should have, but he had never repaired one, which made me nervous. But he did a good job, you can still see a tiny spot but only if you look hard and if you didn't know where to look you'd probably think it was a bug splat or something. Overall I'm happy and as long as it doesn't spread for some strange reason then I'm glad I went the repair route.

FrgMstr
10-14-2015, 09:46 AM
I always take mine in to Safelite. Talk to them. My local Safelite has two techs familiar with Vipers and do great work.