PDA

View Full Version : getting this code on my gen 5 viper

amk
10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Ok so here is the thing, my car was running great with GG ported heads and nitrous. However, about 2 months ago the car starts acting weird and by that I mean in low rpm's the car feels as if there is something holding it and from 4000 rpm it wakes up again. We checked the actual and desired angle it is doing what its supposed to do from 4000 rpm but down the bottom its not. The code that its giving us is (P0014) there seems nothing wrong with oil pressure nor temp. This is what I found out on another thread I just wish there is a solution and not tearing down the engine again and testing every single thing. I mean the car ran great .. if it was an issue with spring pressure wouldn't it show in the beginning?.

Your help is highly appreciated guys. thanks

test procedure :

Requested Information

THEORY OF OPERATION

Variable Cam Timing (VCT) allows the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to monitor and adjust the position of the camshaft, based on desired torque levels and engine operating conditions. The camshaft design allows for the exhaust lobes to be adjusted while the intake lobes are not adjustable all on one camshaft. The PCM controls a solenoid operated control valve, that is used to direct oil pressure to a hydraulic actuator mounted between the camshaft and its drive sprocket. The oil pressure alters the angular position or phasing of the camshaft relative to crankshaft rotation. A sensor is used to monitor the position of the camshaft.

SET CONDITION

This DTC indicates the prevailing camshaft phase was over-advanced. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

WHEN MONITORED

When the P000B or P0017 DTC become active, with no active Crank Sensor or Cam Sensor circuit faults active, the Cam Phase tracking error monitor will run to determine if the Camshaft Phaser timing is over advanced or over retarded from the commanded position.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Possible Causes

CAMSHAFT POSITION SLOW RESPONSE (TRACKING ERROR) WITH CAM OVER-ADVANCED
CRANKSHAFT-CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT WITH CAM OVER-ADVANCED
EXCESSIVE ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
EXCESSIVE ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. Refer to STANDARD PROCEDURE .

DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1. ACTIVE DTC
NOTE:
This DTC is reported along with either P000B-BANK 1 CAMSHAFT 2 POSITION SLOW RESPONSE or P0017-CRANKSHAFT-CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT-BANK 1 SENSOR 2 to indicate the prevailing direction of the phase error. If either of those DTCs are present, diagnose and repair them before continuing with this test.

NOTE:
If P0014 set without either P000B or P0017, this indicates a "System Performance" fault, where engine conditions did not support VVT operation as expected. Only continue with the P0014 diagnostic procedure if it is present without either P000B or P0017.

NOTE:
Diagnose and repair any camshaft position slow response DTCs before continuing with this test.
1.Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Hold engine speed greater than 1, 000 rpm for at least one minute. The DTC will not be set unless cam phasing becomes active, which may not occur if speed never leaves idle.
WARNING:
When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result possible serious or fatal injury.

2.With the scan tool, record the related Freeze Frame Data and clear DTCs in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
3.Test drive the vehicle under the conditions in which the DTC is monitored, as outlined above.
4.With the scan tool, select View DTCs.
Is the DTC Active or Pending at this time?

Yes
1.Go To 2

No
1.Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. Refer to STANDARD PROCEDURE .

2. CHECK THE ENGINE OIL 1.Check the engine for the following:1.LOW ENGINE OIL
2.INCORRECT OIL FILTER THAT DOES NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
3.OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
4.CORRECT VISCOSITY AND WEIGHT
5.ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Is oil level, type, condition, and filter correct?

Yes
1.Go To 3

No
1.Correct level/change engine oil and filter as required, consult the service information for correct type and grade of engine oil and repeat test.
2.Perform the PCM VERIFICATION TEST. Refer to STANDARD PROCEDURE .

3. ENGINE OIL PRESSURE 1.Turn the ignition off.
2.Check the engine oil pressure in accordance with the service information. Refer to LUBRICATION, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING .
3.Using the scan tool, compare the engine oil pressure reading you get off of a gauge and compare that reading to what the scan tool displays with the engine running. If the pressure reading on the scan tool is not close to what the gauge displays, perform the diagnostic procedure for P0521-ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE .
Is the engine oil pressure within the specifications outlined in the service information?

Yes
1.Go To 4

No
1.Inspect and repair the cause of the oil pressure being out of specifications.

4. ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE READING TOO HIGH 1.Turn the ignition on.
2.Using a scan tool monitor the engine oil temperature and compare the engine oil temperature to the engine coolant temperature value.
Does the engine oil temperature seem excessively high as compared to the engine coolant temperature?

Yes
1.Refer to the diagnostic procedure P0196-ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE for further assistance.

No
1.Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. Refer to STANDARD PROCEDURE

Rare Snake
10-06-2015, 02:10 PM
I had this code and posted about it a while back. Turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit.

amk
10-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I had this code and posted about it a while back. Turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit.

Was ur car sleepy till around 3800 rpm ??

Rare Snake
10-07-2015, 09:18 AM
It could've been just in my head, but I noticed it was driving a bit funny a couple of days before the light came on. In city traffic on cruise night it just didn't seem to idle properly at low speed in 1st and 2nd. I started to wonder if something was up so I babied it the rest of the evening, and the next time I drove it I wasn't really surprised to see the light when it came on.