PDA

View Full Version : Huge help.. Oil pressure sensor location.. check this story out..

qnitro
09-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Im in a full panic, my Oil sensor is not right!!!!started the car, drove it and put on the SRT gauge pack and it showed 0 pressure, as I would expect with a bad sensor, but when I hit the brakes, I would get 19-25lbs of pressure.. I was immediately OHHH SHIT. Update, SRT did me a solid, they took car for 3 weeks, ran it through there battery of test(sent oil to corp head quarters, replaced just about every sensor) but, My first mistake was taking it to a dealership that wasn't Viper certified, they claimed to be but they had just "had training"..... Dodge fixed it and gave me an extended warranty... 10/100k, Now I know its a problem all over the Viper production, i dont feel so panic'd..

01sapphirebob
09-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Could an engine run for 500 miles without oil in it??

qnitro
09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Hell if I know :)... all I know it didnt have any oil....Not like a new engine with no oil.. It had some.. but when you pull the dipstick and do the check.. it would show nothing.. so thats my measure..

7TH_SIGN
09-26-2015, 09:52 PM
So the dealership drained the engine oil and failed to put new oil in it? If the car was driven for 500 miles with low to zero oil, more than likely there is motor damage.

viper_eddie
09-26-2015, 10:14 PM
More astonishing is the fact that this is your wife's daily driver :)

So much for the Dodge dealer network (yes there are some good ones but the vast majority are....)

qnitro
09-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Yeah I have a 2006 Coupe Viper, and she would drive that one over her Z06 and loved the attention, than said hell Im buying one too.. so we sold her Z06 and bought her a 2013 Viper.. Ive had mine since 2008(new) and love it.. I will be buried in it :)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab237/qnitro/2CA88F76-087C-423E-938F-FAED96896AB0-790-000000BEFAC8E3DB_zpsk8yqx4j0.jpg (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/qnitro/media/2CA88F76-087C-423E-938F-FAED96896AB0-790-000000BEFAC8E3DB_zpsk8yqx4j0.jpg.html)

More astonishing is the fact that this is your wife's daily driver :)

So much for the Dodge dealer network (yes there are some good ones but the vast majority are....)

Jack B
09-26-2015, 11:46 PM
no oil on the dipstick, does not mean no oil, it just means the oil is low and it is dangerous to start the engine. The sensor is not in the pan, therefore, you will not lose all the oil.

qnitro
09-26-2015, 11:59 PM
thanks.. that makes me feel better...

Darius
09-27-2015, 12:50 AM
My oil sensor also went out a couple weeks after I got my TA. It was replaced and has been good every since.

ellowviper
09-27-2015, 03:29 AM
Hell if I know :)... all I know it didnt have any oil....Not like a new engine with no oil.. It had some.. but when you pull the dipstick and do the check.. it would show nothing.. so thats my measure..

The question yet to be asked is "How much oil did you put back in?" ...when you say it didn't have any oil.... Don't say 10 quarts.....please.

swexlin
09-27-2015, 08:46 AM
The question yet to be asked is "How much oil did you put back in?" ...when you say it didn't have any oil.... Don't say 10 quarts.....please.

Also, what was the mileage interval since your last oil change? At 15k on the motor, it probably shouldn't be using much if any oil.

WDW MKR
09-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Love the photo with two black Vipers and a GN... definitely a dream garage.

As others mentioned, a lot depends on how much oil you had to add and exactly how the car was driven during the period of low oil. 500 miles is a long way to go, and I'm assuming several engine starts, on low oil.

qnitro
09-27-2015, 11:13 AM
I added 7 1/2 quarts...and we drove 500 miles total...

Jack B
09-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Excellent ?

AZTVR
09-27-2015, 11:21 AM
I drove it and put on the SRT gauge pack and it showed 0 pressure, as I would expect with a bad sensor, but when I hit the brakes, I would get 19-25lbs of pressure.. I was immediately OHHH SHIT.

I think that your reaction is spot on. Running a car with 0 PSI oil pressure is NOT GOOD. It sounds to me that the oil was so low as to not reach the oil pick up in some case, like maybe acceleration; but did reach it on braking.

Since you say that you checked the oil level before going to the first dealer, I would push for them to check bearings, or at least ensure that all of this is well documented in writing to Dodge so that if you have an engine failure, you are on record about this. It is possible, if you had only intermittently low oil pressure, that you are OK if you weren't doing lengthy high RPM driving. Just my shadetree mechanic opinion, though.

edit: Just saw the "added 7.5 quarts" post. OH SHIT, is right on.

Jack B
09-27-2015, 11:22 AM
You have engine damage, that looks like the dealer is at least partially to blame.

If the sensor is at or on the filter adapter you could have lost some oil, but, 7.5 qts?

Something is missing, no dealer would replace the sensor without checking the oil. Do you see any oil under the car in the garage.

qnitro
09-27-2015, 11:31 AM
thanks guys.. were gonna see the dealer tomorrow.. and drop off car...

swexlin
09-27-2015, 11:54 AM

So the car went through 7.5 quarts in 500 miles? No leaks? Something very wrong. Smoke out the exhaust, anything?

Atlas
09-27-2015, 12:17 PM

If you are not familiar with my story, my 14 TA ate 4 quarts in 1500 miles unbeknownst to me and it caused engine damaged. Most likely rod bearings. In your case you had something like 3.5 quarts!? I don't know your car but I would bet you have some serious damage. If not right this second then soon. I would absolutely not think you would have issue blaming the dealer for negligence. I wouldn't be using them to replace it! May I suggest Woodhouse, haha. I only laugh because that's where I shipped mine too. You need it done right.

Good luck.

qnitro
09-27-2015, 01:12 PM
No Leaks no burning oil...Its crazy...

So the car went through 7.5 quarts in 500 miles? No leaks? Something very wrong. Smoke out the exhaust, anything?

Steve-Indy
03-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Update??

darbgnik
03-28-2016, 12:38 AM
FYI, I replaced my oil pressure sender with an engine full of oil, no need to drop it.......

sadil
03-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Id ship the car to the dealer at their expense and have them change filter oil and drop ththe pan. Send the oil for analysis, inspect filter element and check the pan for debris. Your car can survive on a lot less oil than you think. If you come up clean on all three you likely didnt do any damage to the engine. I would sort this out and then look for the leak. Car is also pretty much covered at the bottom so you will get a better idea if you take some of those panels out and inspect. Burning that much oil and would have been noticeable, especially with the side exhaust.

Viktimize
03-28-2016, 06:35 PM
FYI, I replaced my oil pressure sender with an engine full of oil, no need to drop it.......

Mine failed and was replaced under warranty. Dealer said they changed oil since they lost some doing the swap. I haven't crawled under to see where the thing is even located. Unless there is some sort of diaphragm in the block where the sensor mounts, it seems weird you would not lose any oil doing the swap. Unless you are saying you're just really fast? lol

darbgnik
03-29-2016, 01:33 AM
Mine failed and was replaced under warranty. Dealer said they changed oil since they lost some doing the swap. I haven't crawled under to see where the thing is even located. Unless there is some sort of diaphragm in the block where the sensor mounts, it seems weird you would not lose any oil doing the swap. Unless you are saying you're just really fast? lol

Nope, it's above the oil full line, but I left my car cold overnight, before I did mine, so there was nothing left to drain down. It's on the passenger side of the block, near the front. You can see it from the top of the engine. It looks as though it's easy to reach, but it is not. I cursed a few times.......

Snakebit10
03-29-2016, 06:55 AM
I had a similar problem with my old 05 350Z. Brand new and on my first oil change from dealer the car had no oil in it. I drove about 400 miles before that oil change. I wanted it changed early because just like the some G5 engines those earlier 350z engines had oil consumption issues. I know it had extremely low to no oil in it because I saw when they mechanic unscrewed the plug to drain the oil and nothing came out. We both looked at each other puzzled. Ended up having to have the engine replaced under warranty. Up to that point the car never missed a beat or made sounds indicating it had low to no oil condition. It sounds like its the same deal with you but if it is at least its will be covered. Hope it all goes well.

lochnessmonster
03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
I check my oil every time I put gas in the car. My Dad taught me to do this when I got my first car, and I've passed that information on to my son. We bought him a Subaru WRX last month, and the first thing I taught him to do was put gas in the car and check his oil. My Dad used to say, "It's cheap insurance." He was right.

ViperGeorge
03-29-2016, 01:35 PM
How did you check the oil level? I know, sounds like a stupid question but checking oil levels on a Gen 5 is a pain in the a$$. According to some SRT engineers I know, run engine, shut down engine, check oil level after 5 minutes on level ground. If you check after engine has been shut down for some time (like overnight) oil reading will be higher than it really is. That means that if the dealer checked oil level with the engine cold it might show in the safe zone but once started and let sit for 5 minutes it would actually be low. Readings could be very different. If I leave my TA sit overnight and then check oil level it shows almost 2 inches high on the dip stick. So if you put in 7.5 quarts and checked oil level without following procedure above you might still not have enough oil in it. I may have been completely empty.

Viktimize
03-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Nope, it's above the oil full line, but I left my car cold overnight, before I did mine, so there was nothing left to drain down. It's on the passenger side of the block, near the front. You can see it from the top of the engine. It looks as though it's easy to reach, but it is not. I cursed a few times.......

Yeah that makes sense. If you leave it long enough that there is no oil left in the galleries then there won't be leakage. I'm guessing the dealer I used didn't want it sitting in a bay on a hoist for that many hours, so they were bound to lose a bit of oil.