PDA

View Full Version : PSA - Amazon Prime - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 tampering

kaamacat
09-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Just a PSA for you folks. I received my order for two cases of PUP 0W-40 plus the SRT filter
thru Amazon Prime. One of the cases, each container had been tampered with, and the oil
replaced with water. (The initial seal did not appear to be broken).

My guess is someone did a return, got the free oil, and the box was never checked. Could
have been catastrophic failure had this gone to someone for a quick change and just opened
and poured.

** At first I did not notice, dipping a q-tip in their for a dab to smear around the oil filter
seal. Then pouring into the filter thinking "man that is super thin, and clear oil". Then poured
the total bottle (plus 4 others) into a large measuring cup. Same results..... H20 **

I notified Amazon by phone as-well.

XSnake
09-23-2015, 08:55 AM
That's crazy! Glad you caught it

Chipster
09-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Wow!

Whoever did that should be shot. Possibly kill an engine over a $10 thing of oil. Glad you caught it

Scott Mannny
09-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Great catch!!!!!!!!!! We all need to make sure and look at all of the seals, before we add anything to our engines.

genVer
09-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the warning; that's just nuts! I have two cases from Amazon sitting in my garage so you can be sure I'll be extra careful using it.

rlhay2
09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Some people are just begging Karma to make their lives miserable.

kaamacat
09-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Amazon is making good and sending out a total new order (2Cases plus filter) with 1-day shipping (free for all)
to be here tomorrow.

The scary thing for some would be... where the oil/filter is bought, then taken to the dealer for them to change.
Had that been the case it would have been game-over. Whomever did this, put the caps on super tight so it had
the feel of a new bottle, then you still hear the tab parts clicking as-if a new bottle.

mblgjr
09-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Aaaand Amazon stops taking oil returns in 3...2....1...

serpent
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Damn thats crazy, I hope they catch the cheap fucker that did that. What total BS.

Sub Driver
09-23-2015, 05:25 PM
That's interesting because I bought a filter and not only did the box look tampered with (tape that wasn't original holding it shut) but the oil filter had small amounts of visible oil on it like it was used and then someone tried to clean it. Needless to say I sent it back and got another one.

kaamacat
09-23-2015, 05:57 PM
That's interesting because I bought a filter and not only did the box look tampered with (tape that wasn't original holding it shut) but the oil filter had small amounts of visible oil on it like it was used and then someone tried to clean it. Needless to say I sent it back and got another one.

On the filter... It was in a box (normal SRT filter box) but also had a plastic cap on the filter itself and AND was then in a vacuum sealed kinda
baggie thing. So that was 100% ok.....well until the H2Oil was applied. For the return I took blue painters tape on both oil cases and
the filter with **WARNING** written on them and a description of the problem then taped over that with the clear postal tape. (No way
is that coming off w/o making a mess of the box)

Amazon tracking shows a total replacement coming tomorrow, then I will send all the bad stuff back to them.

1ststrike
09-23-2015, 07:35 PM
WOW!!! you are so lucky to catch that

allans
09-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Bob, That is so amazing! Glad you caught it. For those that don't know, Bob is a very meticulous owner and this could have been a tragedy for someone less inclined. Best, Allan

wrh3
09-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Yes, Bob IS meticulous- still sounds crazy but glad you caught it before dumping it into the motor.

I ordered the same oil and filter from Amazon for my first change and everything was great, but it is a new world out there......I'll be paying closer attention in the future.

Zybane
09-23-2015, 09:11 PM
That's crazy. There must be some cheap bastards out there to use the oil, fill the bottles up with water and then send it back. Hopefully they can trace that idiots return and ban him.

Although, it would be pretty evident that you are not pouring oil in your engine within the first few seconds. But I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time removing water from my engine.

ACRucrazy
09-23-2015, 09:14 PM
I bought 6 filters from the dealer and will only buy oil locally. No need to deal with this BS.

Glad you caught that!

LmeaViper
09-26-2015, 09:58 AM
What the hell is with people.

On a side bar, we used to do that with my buddy's Dad's rum..but his Dad wasn't putting that in his car.