PDA

View Full Version : Post a pic of your air filter

Voice of Reason
09-13-2015, 04:20 PM
The thread with the filter that's 1/4 covered in oil made me check mine today. So if you're inclined please pull your filter out and post a pic, especially if you're done any kind of racing with your car.

Here's mine:
http://i57.tinypic.com/30t1dhz.jpg
Details:
6,500 miles total in exactly 1 year
2 road races
3 auto x
I'm not very competitive at road racing yet since these are the first two I've done. But auto X I've done well at this year placing towards the top at each event. Take that into consideration.

It's getting enough oil on it that I want a catch can but not enough to make me panic...yet.

v10enomous
09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
The owner that I posted for in the other thread with the oil fouled air cleaner has done some roll racing and air field stuff and I watched him pull a GTR and a few other cars so he uses the car the way it was meant to be used. He's also signed up for our NJ drag race event in early October. I'm going to pull my air cleaner out when I get the car down off the lift this week although I don't drive my car nearly as hard.

Destrukt
09-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Where do you guys usually buy your replacement filters from?

Rapidrezults
09-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Got some oil on mine too....hmmmm. Looks to be in the same exact location as yours.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/rapidrezults/FC4275AB-0C8D-48E1-A6E3-8734C45E3004_zpsrvvija8i.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/rapidrezults/51B97ABB-4B92-450F-BDF2-54F24F90E75E_zpstqodv4nj.jpg

FLATOUT
09-14-2015, 05:55 AM
Guys this isn't a catch can problem it's a high rpm right hand high g load problem. Oil is getting past the baffle in the drivers valve cover into the vent line and into the airbox. The 2016's have a different drivers valve cover, top side exit location, and topside hose routing to the airbox. I would look into updating to the 2016 pieces if you track the car.

Andy

Dman
09-14-2015, 07:10 AM
Mine is spotless, 2700 miles, 3 trackdays, I've checked it after each trackday, perhaps a testament to my gentle driving technique, lol.

Simms
09-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Guys this isn't a catch can problem it's a high rpm right hand high g load problem. Oil is getting past the baffle in the drivers valve cover into the vent line and into the airbox. The 2016's have a different drivers valve cover, top side exit location, and topside hose routing to the airbox. I would look into updating to the 2016 pieces if you track the car.

Andy

Andy, are you saying we need to buy a 2016 drivers side valve cover or just retrofit the fix our 2013-2015 cars?

FLATOUT
09-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Andy, are you saying we need to buy a 2016 drivers side valve cover or just retrofit the fix our 2013-2015 cars?

You'll have to buy the 2016 drivers side valve cover, line from valve cover to airbox and they have a new drivers side plastic Viper coil pack cover.

You should only experience this problem on in very specific on track situations. I will be doing this on my car.

v10enomous
09-14-2015, 08:23 AM
So what's the approximate cost for parts and labor to do the upgrade ?

7TH_SIGN
09-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Damn that's not good.

Simms
09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
You'll have to buy the 2016 drivers side valve cover, line from valve cover to airbox and they have a new drivers side plastic Viper coil pack cover.

You should only experience this problem on in very specific on track situations. I will be doing this on my car.

Thanks! So my fancy CF coil cover would be no good?!

Is there room to just tap our existing valve cover?

rlhay2
09-14-2015, 09:57 AM

This is the solution for the owner that demands a 100% Dodge/SRT resolution.

For those that just want the issue resolved, doesn't a properly designed catch can perform the same function? At a reduced expense and easier install?

SRT_BluByU
09-14-2015, 10:49 PM
4000miles and perfectly clean.... 2014

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-image_da9c564abc9f45705beec57474a8ed2a499f689c.jpg

Dan Cragin
09-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Andy,
Thanks for the information. All the new performance car manufacturers are frequently upgrading crankcase ventilation systems, oil pull through has been a big issue. With zero weight oils and lower tension rings (to reduce friction) oil
consumption is becoming an issue. Suburu, Ferrari and Mercedes Benz are claiming that 1 quart per 750 miles is normal for some engines.

I use the Mopar Penzoil 5w40 (not 0w40) in the Gen 5's that see track use. That seems to help. The issue I have seen with those who run real hard, is that the oil pushed up into the air box coats the MAF sensors and often puts the car into limp mode.

I have found that changing to a race oil with a higher viscosity and a special additive package will eliminate this issue, but it will reduce the effectiveness of the catalyst and can effect the VVT function when the oil is cold.

There are two companies out there right now that make special race oils that claim to be catalyst and VVT friendly. Pure power and Pure Oil. Expensive stuff, works well in the racing cars we build.

Sounds like Andy has the best fix to keep this from being an issue with the factory fill.

Hope this helps.

swexlin
09-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Dan, thank you, that is good information.

FLATOUT
09-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the extra info Dan!

This is less of a blow by issue and more of an improper baffling and or vent location problem (just my opinion). A catch can could work or I guess you could plug the 13-15 lower port with a block off, tap a new port on the high side and then follow the new upper path to the airbox. I'm going to price everything up for the swap when it becomes available and report back.

Simms
09-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Thanks Dan and Andy.

Why not just keep the lower port and run it to a vented catch can? Then just plug the air box hole that the vent originally ran to?

Jack B
09-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Yes - I posted pics on the current thread about a possible eng failure. I found the oil early on and added the dr side catch can.

This is the solution for the owner that demands a 100% Dodge/SRT resolution.

For those that just want the issue resolved, doesn't a properly designed catch can perform the same function? At a reduced expense and easier install?

SSGNRDZ_28
09-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks Dan and Andy.

Why not just keep the lower port and run it to a vented catch can? Then just plug the air box hole that the vent originally ran to?

I think that would be OK, maybe less than ideal but it would certainly work (Jack B has done this).

Solutions could be:

Modify the valve cover to be similar to the factory 2016 setup as Andy suggests.
Replace the valve cover and hose with 2016 OEM parts.
Do not modify valve cover but add a catch can (see below).

Some catch can options (with or without the mod):

Add a sealed catch can system on driver's and passenger side to prevent oil from entering the airbox and intake manifold.
or
Add a dual input vented can with inputs from the driver and passenger side to prevent oil from entering the airbox and intake manifold.
or
If you've modified the valve cover to 2016 specs, just add a passenger side sealed catch can to prevent oil from entering the intake manifold.

DSE will have a catch can solution available soon that covers all of these options.

mjorgensen
09-15-2015, 08:41 AM
16' valve cover 5038579AF $319 list price, not available
16' vent hose 5038617AD $28.25 list price, not available
16' coil cover left 5038587AD $244 list price, available now

Voice of Reason
09-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Needing a coil cover is kind of a kick in the pants. How different are they on the underside? I'm wondering how easy it would be to trim the underside where the new tube needs to run.

FLATOUT
09-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Needing a coil cover is kind of a kick in the pants. How different are they on the underside? I'm wondering how easy it would be to trim the underside where the new tube needs to run.

Underside is exactly the same it has a small area that you need to remove at the very front closest to the intake manifold to allow clearance for the new hose. You could alsways find a creative way to do this is you don't want to buy the new coil cover.

As soon as these part numbers become available you can pick them up from me here at ViperExchange.

Andy

FLATOUT
09-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks Dan and Andy.

Because this is more of a problem with larger amounts of oil literally dumping out the side of the valve cover. If it was just vapors or standard blow by I would run a can, but when a larger amount of oil is sloshing out of that port I want to fix the baffeling/port issue first. That's just my take on it though.

Snakebit10
09-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Shouldn't this be a free factory fix since it seems its a engineering problem and not any fault of the owners? Either way glad there is a fix both factory and aftermarket with the catch can.

Simms
09-15-2015, 02:58 PM
I think that would be OK, maybe less than ideal but it would certainly work (Jack B has done this).

Solutions could be:

Modify the valve cover to be similar to the factory 2016 setup as Andy suggests.
Replace the valve cover and hose with 2016 OEM parts.
Do not modify valve cover but add a catch can (see below).

Some catch can options (with or without the mod):

Add a sealed catch can system on driver's and passenger side to prevent oil from entering the airbox and intake manifold.
or
Add a dual input vented can with inputs from the driver and passenger side to prevent oil from entering the airbox and intake manifold.
or
If you've modified the valve cover to 2016 specs, just add a passenger side sealed catch can to prevent oil from entering the intake manifold.

DSE will have a catch can solution available soon that covers all of these options.

Looking forward to your setup. Which option from above to you feel is the best for track use?

Simms
09-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Because this is more of a problem with larger amounts of oil literally dumping out the side of the valve cover. If it was just vapors or standard blow by I would run a can, but when a larger amount of oil is sloshing out of that port I want to fix the baffeling/port issue first. That's just my take on it though.

Ah I see, makes sense.

SSGNRDZ_28
09-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Looking forward to your setup. Which option from above to you feel is the best for track use?

Ultimate track car: 2 input vented (disadvantage to the vented is oil fumes / residue for a track only car this doesn't matter)

If the 2016 fix is good enough, a sealed passenger side can might be good enough for those who don't prefer the vented setup, on the Gen IV this seems to be sufficient as oil into the filter isn't an issue. Otherwise a sealed Gen V system will require a seperate can on each side.

cashcorn
09-15-2015, 06:51 PM
No oil here after 3k miles. If you are seeing oil, why not just change the air filter when you change the oil(if your tracking).

1ststrike
09-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Sounds like an oil change to 15 / 50 might be a quick fix.

Jack B
09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
I have been running the dual catch cans since i bought the car in 2013, there is nothing special about the G5. Summit or Jegs has any number of catch cans that work. I have posted pics multiple times, just get the smallest possible and they will fit on the outside of the wheelwell liner on both sides. These are filtered/vented catch cans. The drivers side valve cover throws small drops of oil into the airbox, not just a mist. If you do not race, it probably is not an issue. Everyone talks about the fumes, since this is mostly particles of oil, there are no fumes, that is the case in my car.

Personally, I do not think the drivers side is an engine issue at all. It is a baffling and gravity problem. When you go from wot to hard braking (or hard right turn) the oil in the drivers side valve cover is forced forward into the airbox through the vent tube. In my case the vent tube now runs a little to the rear (versus forward) and I get very little oil into the catch can.

I am traveling and do not have my car, but, I believe the drivers side vent tube enters into the airbox on the engine side of the filter, therefore, changing the $60 filter is meaningless. If I am wrong, i stand corrected. Lastly,I am surprised that more cars have not had issues/codes with the MAF sensors.

Simms
09-15-2015, 09:18 PM
I have been running the dual catch cans since i bought the car in 2013, there is nothing special about the G5. Summit or Jegs has any number of catch cans that work. I have posted pics multiple times, just get the smallest possible and they will fit on the outside of the wheelwell liner on both sides. These are filtered/vented catch cans. The drivers side valve cover throws small drops of oil into the airbox, not just a mist. If you do not race, it probably is not an issue. Everyone talks about the fumes, since this is mostly particles of oil, there are no fumes, that is the case in my car.

Personally, I do not think the drivers side is an engine issue at all. It is a baffling and gravity problem. When you go from wot to hard braking (or hard right turn) the oil in the drivers side valve cover is forced forward into the airbox through the vent tube. In my case the vent tube now runs a little to the rear (versus forward) and I get very little oil into the catch can.

I am traveling and do not have my car, but, I believe the drivers side vent tube enters into the airbox on the engine side of the filter, therefore, changing the $60 filter is meaningless. If I am wrong, i stand corrected. Lastly,I am surprised that more cars have not had issues/codes with the MAF sensors.

Thanks for your info Jack. My 2014 will be my main track car for now.

Teneck83
02-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Exactly as stated in R28/29 recall

The_Ruski_Driver
02-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't the recall R29 alleviate this problem?

SRT BILL
02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
The R29 sure sounds like the correct fix for this problem. Andy was all over this back in September, nice work Andy.

7TH_SIGN
02-11-2016, 08:42 PM
R29 address this issue.

R28 is to verify whether or not a new engine is needed due to production issues in the manufacturing stage of the motors.

TurboTA
02-15-2016, 08:32 PM
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/TurboTA1/unnamed_zpskidlhann.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/TurboTA1/media/unnamed_zpskidlhann.jpg.html)

darbgnik
02-15-2016, 11:33 PM
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/TurboTA1/unnamed_zpskidlhann.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/TurboTA1/media/unnamed_zpskidlhann.jpg.html)

Holy shit!

7TH_SIGN
02-15-2016, 11:59 PM
TurboTA, before you went turbo I assume?

TurboTA
02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
TurboTA, before you went turbo I assume?

Yes and consuming over 1.5qt per 1,000 miles.

swexlin
02-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Was this just normal street driving? That seems like a lot!