PDA

View Full Version : So who was fast at COTA?

Rapidrezults
09-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Just curious what the cars were running in terms of lap times at the event. I've seen mentions of 2:24's and such...if so, what were most of you running out there in what setups? What is considered a lightning fast lap time at COTA?

Hope it was a safe event with minimal incidents.

FLATOUT
09-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Anything for a Viper under 2:30 is really, really moving. I think the ACRX's on either slicks or R7's were in the 2:31 range. Last year Ben was running low 2:30's in his TA on street tires, boltons, and our big brake kit. The fastest laps in our intermediate group with point by passing (you would have to pull up and wait for the pass so difficult to get a full clean lap) was in the 2:37 range. I was running in that 2:37-39 range with a passenger and waiting for point bys on Pirellis street tires. I think GenVr ran a 2:37 in his Gen V with Aero controller and Hoosier R7's.

Another point of reference, Ben qualified last year in his Race Viper at 2:09.

venomous08
09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Fastest for me was 2:30:2 in the red group. I took dads X for a 2:26:.. Have to go to the race keeper for the seconds.

I know Matt was sub 2:24's

FLATOUT
09-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Fastest for me was 2:30:2 in the red group. I took dads X for a 2:26:.. Have to go to the race keeper for the seconds.

I know Matt was sub 2:24's

Very nice, you guys were having a blast, and I just saw matt said he ran a 2:23

XSnake
09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Fastest I have data on is 2:23.1. There's potential for faster but I hit some traffic. I'm pretty confident I can get into the teens with better weather and more time at cota. I posted videos in my thread on the event

Nine Ball
09-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Sub 2:40's is still very respectable, and takes some confidence and a little bit of fearless driving to achieve. Sub 2:30s is just hauling ass, period.

genVer
09-11-2015, 01:58 AM
Mine is a '13 track pack GTS with the Arrow controller, TA 1.0 aero running Hoosier R7s. My fastest lap of the weekend came in the fourth session at 2:34.04 but I was getting consistent 2:35.xx once I moved up to the red group.

Nine Ball
09-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Mine is a '13 track pack GTS with the Arrow controller, TA 1.0 aero running Hoosier R7s. My fastest lap of the weekend came in the fourth session at 2:34.04 but I was getting consistent 2:35.xx once I moved up to the red group.

Very nice. What were your impressions of the R7 tires? Do they last a full session without fading in grip?

genVer
09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Very nice. What were your impressions of the R7 tires? Do they last a full session without fading in grip?

I've run them for twenty 25 minute sessions so far and haven't noticed any loss of grip with they yet. The track was pretty slick by the end of the first day due to all the rubber chunks but I never lost faith in the tires. I love these things!

stuntman
09-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Fastest I have data on is 2:23.1. There's potential for faster but I hit some traffic. I'm pretty confident I can get into the teens with better weather and more time at cota. I posted videos in my thread on the event
Nice time! What tires do you run?

ACR
09-14-2015, 10:35 PM
How do these times compare to competitor vehicles

stuntman
09-14-2015, 10:48 PM
IMSA qualifying times:

GTD: 2:08.5 (Aston Martin Vantage)
GS: 2:22.5 (Mustang Boss 302R)
St: 2:29.9 (Cayman)

ACR
09-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Based on the above it seems a 2:30 is not that great, perhaps I am missing something

FLATOUT
09-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Based on the above it seems a 2:30 is not that great, perhaps I am missing something

You're comparing IMSA race cars to street cars.

XSnake
09-15-2015, 08:08 AM
You're comparing IMSA race cars to street cars.

You're also comparing Pro drivers vs. the avg. or below average Joe.

My car should be about 8-10 sec slower than an GT3-R which is why I know I can go faster

venomous08
09-15-2015, 01:00 PM
You're also comparing Pro drivers vs. the avg. or below average Joe.

My car should be about 8-10 sec slower than an GT3-R which is why I know I can go faster

Yeah, and I should be sub 2:30 lol.. I just have to get the confidence there and I also don't want to pay for any mistakes. Its expensive to off track it there.

TooBlue
09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah, and I should be sub 2:30 lol.. I just have to get the confidence there and I also don't want to pay for any mistakes. Its expensive to off track it there.

2:30 is rollin'.

Slicks will give you 2-3 seconds. Hard to compare DOT tire times to slick tire times.

XSnake
09-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Nice time! What tires do you run?

Pirelli DH

XSnake
09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
You just need to have more confidence in your brakes. You're braking like you're in a Gen 2 w/o ABS. :p

venomous08
09-17-2015, 02:48 PM
You just need to have more confidence in your brakes. You're braking like you're in a Gen 2 w/o ABS. :p

I don't think I was driving dads car though. Kinda got a little airborn at the nice bump going into 10.

What were you seeing for IAT's since we were going to compare to see if the DSE shield helped?

FLATOUT
09-17-2015, 02:54 PM

My biggest area in need of improvement.

XSnake
09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
What were you seeing for IAT's since we were going to compare to see if the DSE shield helped?

Session 1 started at 89 and ended at 93

Session 2 started at 91 and ended at 97

Session 3 started at 100 ended at 105

Session 4 started at 111 and ended at 107 ( I went to get gas between 3 and 4 which is why I think it started so hot)

Session 5 started at 105 and ended at 109

venomous08
09-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Session 1 started at 89 and ended at 93

Session 2 started at 91 and ended at 97

Session 3 started at 100 ended at 105

Session 4 started at 111 and ended at 107 ( I went to get gas between 3 and 4 which is why I think it started so hot)

Session 5 started at 105 and ended at 109

I will have to go back and check mine.

esm_viper
03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Last weekend was my 2nd time on the track and my best was a 2:37. I've got a 2015 GTC with Carbotech pads and Pirelli Corsas.

GTS Dean
03-22-2017, 10:15 PM
SW has run 21.2 in his ACR-E on OEM Kumhos. It has a little over 1000 miles on it, mostly at COTA.

Arizona Vipers
04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Let's revisit this, anyone who has been there in an ACR post your times. I'm trying to see how competitive an ACR will be as nasa nationals in September. Seems like a 2.21 (SW's time posted above) could win TT1 (6 to 1 power to weight ratio).
How fast is SW? I don't want to make two trips out there if I'm going to get my ass handed to me. LOL

1of1TA1.0
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
SW is an amazing driver. I would say he will be stiff competition for you, he has been racing for quite some time in multiple platforms. I couldn't tell you who would be faster as I haven't seen your driving, I have been on track with SW and he is quick!

Arizona Vipers
04-04-2018, 10:39 AM
SW is an amazing driver. I would say he will be stiff competition for you, he has been racing for quite some time in multiple platforms. I couldn't tell you who would be faster as I haven't seen your driving, I have been on track with SW and he is quick!

Yeah I didn't mean race against him, I was asking how good of a driver he is to see if I could match that 2.21 or not. If I can't I don't think the ACR could be a competitive car at cota. Too much drag. Now I see that that was also a heads/cam car. The cars I'm seeing in the teens there the most are the cup cars and vettes, cars with very little aero.
When SW chimes in here, let me know what the fastest stock acr times you have seen out there!
The local hot shoe at cota Adam Tobolowsky was 6 seconds faster in a Z06 (2.15) WITH a passenger VS an acr (2.21) without a passenger. That doesn't look good for me. LOL. I will be at least 3 seconds slower than someone of his skill level which would not be competitive at the nationals.

Arizona Vipers
04-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Check this guys videos, he's driven EVERYTHING there- https://www.youtube.com/user/SilveradoSS500/videos
he's in the teens with a LOT of cars, but 2.21 with the ACR.

1of1TA1.0
04-04-2018, 11:47 AM
I've seen a lot of his videos, he is definitely good. I would like to know if the ACR E he was driving was modded or not. The Z07 he was driving probably wasn't stock. So I wouldn't compare unless you know the variables, he did mention fuel starvation in turn 18 on his .21 lap. I would think you should just go out and see what you can do! You have no shame in any manner if you don't beat the time but everything to gain if you do! A 9L car is still quite a bit more car than a heads/cam and with your set up, you have way more potential.

Arizona Vipers
04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I've seen a lot of his videos, he is definitely good. I would like to know if the ACR E he was driving was modded or not. The Z07 he was driving probably wasn't stock. So I wouldn't compare unless you know the variables, he did mention fuel starvation in turn 18 on his .21 lap. I would think you should just go out and see what you can do! You have no shame in any manner if you don't beat the time but everything to gain if you do! A 9L car is still quite a bit more car than a heads/cam and with your set up, you have way more potential.

I don't think i'll run the 9 liter, there will be many prototypes in TTU no doorslammer can even come close. It's not fair they don't have their own class. Ginetta's, wolfs, radicals etc. They run under 2.10 lol. And yeah that vette had a bigger supercharger. But with passenger was 4000 lbs.

Arizona Vipers
05-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Well I ran a 2.21 after only 19 laps! LOL. (In the stock ACR, not the 9 liter) I broke the nasa TT1 record there, against guys that have thousands of laps there. I went home early it was just to hot and humid there.
That facility is mindblowing. I was very intimidated when I got there, when you walk out to the F1 pits and look up and see that HUGE hill you kinda shit your pants. But the track ended up being very easy to learn, no blind hills/turns.
You have to just trust the aero thru the S's and the carousel. I was still braking too early, so I know I can do 2.19 at the nationals when I have a reason to push harder. It's not a good feeling going 160mph into a hairpin.

Racingswh
05-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Well I ran a 2.21 after only 19 laps! LOL. (In the stock ACR, not the 9 liter) I broke the nasa TT1 record there, against guys that have thousands of laps there. I went home early it was just to hot and humid there.
That facility is mindblowing. I was very intimidated when I got there, when you walk out to the F1 pits and look up and see that HUGE hill you kinda shit your pants. But the track ended up being very easy to learn, no blind hills/turns.
You have to just trust the aero thru the S's and the carousel. I was still braking too early, so I know I can do 2.19 at the nationals when I have a reason to push harder. It's not a good feeling going 160mph into a hairpin.

Congrats! Nice job! Track records seem to fall wherever you go. That's pretty cool!!

Arizona Vipers
05-08-2018, 10:52 AM
SW has run 21.2 in his ACR-E on OEM Kumhos. It has a little over 1000 miles on it, mostly at COTA.
It's a heads/cam car. Before the nationals I want to do the same, I'll still be in TT1 class.

ACRucrazy
05-09-2018, 01:08 PM
2:21 in a stock ACR lol!!!

Man... get that '13 9.0L out there! haha

Arizona Vipers
05-09-2018, 01:56 PM
2:21 in a stock ACR lol!!!

Man... get that '13 9.0L out there! haha

Rich Marziale ran a 2.16 in his monster comp coupe. Probably the best CC in the country. Monster motor, sequential, motec and it even has full Gen 5 body work. Looks just like a Gen 5 with aero.
He was the fastest door slammer out there. TONS of prototypes out there, one Ginetta was running 2.08's.
And a 282rwhp C5 (Nasa TT3 class) ran a 2.22.9 that's nuts.

stradman
05-09-2018, 02:33 PM
I contacted Adam Toblowsky who ran the ACR at COTA in the youtube link that AZ posted. Adam replied with regards to the 2:21.."It was on old Hoosiers R7s, it actually had a bad ecu during this run and it was running super rich. Down on power... so it could go way faster."
so there you go...

Arizona Vipers
05-09-2018, 03:21 PM
I contacted Adam Toblowsky who ran the ACR at COTA in the youtube link that AZ posted. Adam replied with regards to the 2:21.."It was on old Hoosiers R7s, it actually had a bad ecu during this run and it was running super rich. Down on power... so it could go way faster."
so there you go...

Yeah Adam is a good kid with thousands of laps there. He helped me out Saturday. I have no doubt him or another pro driver can drive a stock motor Viper to 2.18 there on a cool day with new tires. He ran a 2.15 in a high hp C7Z07
Aero is definitely not your friend at this track. An active wing would shave 3+ seconds. The fastest speed I saw there was 153 which is "slow". Adam drove a P1 to 181, and a 488 to 175mph.

stradman
05-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Yeah Adam is a good kid with thousands of laps there. He helped me out Saturday. I have no doubt him or another pro driver can drive a stock motor Viper to 2.18 there on a cool day with new tires. He ran a 2.15 in a high hp C7Z07
Aero is definitely not your friend at this track. An active wing would shave 3+ seconds. The fastest speed I saw there was 153 which is "slow". Adam drove a P1 to 181, and a 488 to 175mph.

Yeah I know. Would have been great if someone could make an active wing for the ACR!...Hey you can't be great at all tracks right? Certain cars are better, or excel at certain tracks than others. Always has been, always will be I guess. Unless of course electronics changes all that, which it seems to be doing slowly. Look at the upcoming Senna. Huge wing that flaps around and changes angle according to speed,not to mention other flaps that open and close within the bodywork....
Btw any news on 5th gear ratio?

Arizona Vipers
05-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Yeah I know. Would have been great if someone could make an active wing for the ACR!...Hey you can't be great at all tracks right? Certain cars are better, or excel at certain tracks than others. Always has been, always will be I guess. Unless of course electronics changes all that, which it seems to be doing slowly. Look at the upcoming Senna. Huge wing that flaps around and changes angle according to speed,not to mention other flaps that open and close within the bodywork....

Calvo motorsports has been talking about it. I talked to these guys here- https://aeromotions.com/ they know their shit and are very responsive to emails. Nothing can compare to the beauty of our factory wing though, that's the only reason I didn't go the active wing route.

GTS Dean
05-09-2018, 08:33 PM
I've searched SW's posts and remember him posting a personal best of a 2:20.1 in the Viper last October. I think he has always run the Kumhos. Early on, he was having pronounced bead slippage under braking.

stradman
05-10-2018, 01:03 AM
I've searched SW's posts and remember him posting a personal best of a 2:20.1 in the Viper last October. I think he has always run the Kumhos. Early on, he was having pronounced bead slippage under braking.

Well then he should be tucking his beads under his shirt so they don't slip...LOL! ; )

Arizona Vipers
05-10-2018, 09:50 AM

He's running arrow heads/cam, that's what that track really needs power over aero. Are the factory ACR wheels knurled on the bead? I had my Forgeline's and Finnspeeds built that way, I've never had any slippage ever.

GTS Dean
05-10-2018, 11:39 AM
I think he had them knurled. It's a delicate balance between just enough lube to mount the tires on the rims, and so much that it causes bead slippage under braking.