PDA

View Full Version : Whining power steering pump

Darth Menace
09-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi my power steering pump is making the dreaded whine. Break it to me gently, how much do these cost and how hard to repair? Are there other compatible vehicles we can get a pump at a fraction of the cost?

Bugman Jeff
09-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Every major manufacturer has used this pump at some point, just in slightly different configurations. In our case the easiest source is Jeeps. Many Jeeps use the same pump as we do and it's a direct replacement. I got mine remfd from Napa for around $50. I'll see if I can dig up the actual application I asked for.

Bugman Jeff
09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Actually, upon looking back at my thread, I didn't even have to ask for a non-viper application since Napa's part number is the same. If you run into trouble, a non-viper application is a '97 Grand Cherokee or Wrangler. The only thing is that some pumps were aluminum, some were iron, and there's no way to tell which you'll get. The aluminum one is the "correct" version for the Viper, although they are visually and functionally identical except for the material. Mine is iron, and works great. If you need to have everything factory correct, you'll have to pay more for an aluminum one, and get it from someplace other than Napa(all their reman pumps are luck of the draw material wise).

thetalonguy
09-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Did you check the fluid level? When the fluid gets low, PS pumps will screech like crazy.

While you're in there replace the Hi pressure and low Pressure hoses. I think you can order them from NAPA. I got the high pressure one and a PS pump from Rock Auto and the low pressure hose from a local Napa.

Pretty straight forward job. I also changed out the stock OEM hose clamps with small ring clamps for good measure.

99RT10
09-07-2015, 06:04 PM
What year is your car? If it is a Gen 2, it could also be the pulling getting ready to fail. I have had several fail, is the steering getting harder to move in a turn?

Darth Menace
09-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys..glad to see this isn't a viper specific part. I hate the feeling of getting raped by the viper tax man.

My Viper is a 98 and steering is not hard or choppy or anything. It just whines

Tom, F&L GoR
09-08-2015, 11:36 AM
If/when you do something, consider getting GM Cold Climate power steering fluid. This formulation contains synthetic base oils, added anti-wear, lower viscosity. In some cars with stiff steering when cold (i.e. my Dodge Charger) it makes it more comfortable to steer at all temperatures. It was standard fill in some cars (Neon). There is probably a Mopar name for it, I'm familiar with the GM product because I was a small part of the development team at an oil company long ago....