PDA

View Full Version : Help! Newbie here and can't decide between base Gen V SRT, GT, GTS, or TA!

Destrukt
09-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Ok guys,

I need your help. I am looking at picking up a Gen V Viper but I can't decide which model I should get. It will be a garage queen and only come out every once in awhile. I only plan to do 1/4 mile runs and rolls. I do not plan to track it around. I am looking for the lightest in weight and the best ratios for the 1320. I plan on getting the Stage 2 straight out of the dealership here in Tomball at ViperExchange ( http://www.viperexchange.com/viperexchange-exclusive-performance-products-for-gen-v-vipers-3 ). I have noticed some differences such as brakes are better in the higher models along with better interior. I am not concerned with extra interior options, but I am concerned about the brakes. How good are the brakes on the standard SRT?

The upside to going with the base model is that it is only around $80K for new 2015's that are on the lot. That would leave me with extra $20k to mod it. If I do with the GT or GTS I am easily in the $100k mark without mods. Suggestions?

zee
09-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I think the base model with the track package is the lightest of the bunch.

swexlin
09-06-2015, 05:53 PM
I think the base model with the track package is the lightest of the bunch.

As the owner of a Track Pack car, this is correct. However, these were 2013 only. I think the OP should pick up a GT with the StopTechs and Sidewinder 2s and call it a day.

Rapidrezults
09-06-2015, 05:57 PM
SRT with Big Brake Kit from VE might be an option for you. If you want a nice supple ride spring for the Active Suspension and you will have yourself one amazing car that will meet all of your needs.

darbgnik
09-06-2015, 07:04 PM
If you don't plan on tracking the car, then the TA brakes are overkill for your needs. Pick up an SRT with Sidewinder 2s and order the 2 piece Stoptech aero rotors from Partsrack and call it a day. This will net you the lightest version of the car, which would be best for your interests. These are the same rotors on the Gen 4 ACR, and will be sufficient for most 20 minute sessions if you do change your mind about lapping however. The TAs brakes are better for longer sessions, and high speed tracks, but their performance comes at a price of higher weight.

Adding the VE active suspension will improve ride and handling, with the additional benefit of shedding even more weight.

Seems like you have already answered your own question.

CarolinaViper
09-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Ok guys,

I need your help. I am looking at picking up a Gen V Viper but I can't decide which model I should get. It will be a garage queen and only come out every once in awhile. I only plan to do 1/4 mile runs and rolls. I do not plan to track it around. I am looking for the lightest in weight and the best ratios for the 1320. I plan on getting the Stage 2 straight out of the dealership here in Tomball at ViperExchange ( http://www.viperexchange.com/viperexchange-exclusive-performance-products-for-gen-v-vipers-3 ). I have noticed some differences such as brakes are better in the higher models along with better interior. I am not concerned with extra interior options, but I am concerned about the brakes. How good are the brakes on the standard SRT?

The upside to going with the base model is that it is only around $80K for new 2015's that are on the lot. That would leave me with extra $20k to mod it. If I do with the GT or GTS I am easily in the $100k mark without mods. Suggestions?

Depends on what your expectations are: If all you are going to do is 1/4 runs roll-runs w/the Stage II from Tomball, and not to particular on the upgraded interior, I would go with the base SRT w/Sidewinders II wheels. As for the brakes, the base model are more than adequate for multiple 1/4 stops. Save the money (approx $10K) for an upgrade to a GT, more if you get a GTS and you will have paid for 1/2 of you Stage II upgrade (I think not sure of that price). Wouldn't worry about the upgrade suspension as you said you will not be tracking it. Now I'm the type of guy who wants to save money, if money is not an issue go the GTC way and build it how you would like it to be with all the extra bells and whistles.

Mark1107
09-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Does someone have a break down:

1. Viper GTS: standard adjustable suspension, base price 123,000k larger brakes, better seats etc.
2. Viper TA track only suspension, rear wing, huge brakes, base price 113,000k, etc.
3. Viper GT better seats, base price 99,000k, etc.
4 viper base SRT nothing, base price 80,000k, etc.

Nine Ball
09-06-2015, 11:06 PM
If I ever get around to buying a third Gen 5 to make purely for straight-line speed, it will be another base SRT car without aero. Put some lightweight brake rotors on it, shave another 40 lbs (unless it already has the track pack rotors) and some light weight wheels. The TA aero also slows them down on the drag strip.

Destrukt
09-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Are the sidewinder 2's a major difference in weight savings between the base wheels? I love the look of those Sidewinders

Bruce H.
09-06-2015, 11:51 PM
I wonder if the SRT model may go away in the US at some point as it is no longer available in Canada for 2016.

darbgnik
09-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Are the sidewinder 2's a major difference in weight savings between the base wheels? I love the look of those Sidewinders

Huge actually, like 25 pounds of unsprung weight IIRC...... or something like that.

See link:

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/8186-Gen-V-wheel-weights?highlight=sidewinder+wheel+weight

FLATOUT
09-07-2015, 01:16 AM
As the owner of a Track Pack car, this is correct. However, these were 2013 only. I think the OP should pick up a GT with the StopTechs and Sidewinder 2s and call it a day.

Exactly this:) This is the exact same route I went when switching from my TA to my 15 GT. Go SRT or GT with the sidewinder 2's, and stoptech rotors.

Andy

Coloviper
09-07-2015, 05:33 AM
If new, choose base SRT, or GT with your desired options (stereo, interior color, carbon fiber interior, exterior items, rims (go base rim), etc.). Then add the VE or MCS coil overs, VE big brakes or ACR Carbon brakes, factory ACR rims and tires, desired cat-back exhaust, VE head and cam or Sledgehammer supercharger options, Venzano Interior if desired.

If used, pick up a nice GTS or TA if priced right as bang for the buck is very high or a cheaper base SRT in great shape as they will probably average $70k by winter for 13/14s. Leaves room for the performance and upgrade mods like above.

Not that it matters but my plan is to either get a base SRT with just the Stereo Ugrade and add upgrades over time.

swexlin
09-07-2015, 11:58 AM
I think the bottom line is, whatever you get, you can't go wrong. I just got back from a 55 mile out and back drive to my favorite lunch spot. An absolutely PERFECT day here in Chester County, PA, and this car never gets old. I take a couple of windy roads, punch it, and these Corsas just stick. My Gen 3 was a blast, but this car.....! I've had it 11 months now, and put 2600 miles on it in that time. It has almost 10,000 miles on it now, and what a joy.

7TH_SIGN
09-07-2015, 12:23 PM
I was in your position when buying. I went with a 15 SRT base model with Sidewinder II. The brakes are still awesome. If Im correct, the only difference in brakes is the rotors are not cross drilled. It stops very well.

darbgnik
09-07-2015, 04:07 PM
I was in your position when buying. I went with a 15 SRT base model with Sidewinder II. The brakes are still awesome. If Im correct, the only difference in brakes is the rotors are not cross drilled. It stops very well.

The difference with the rotors are that the Stop tech (track pack) rotors are 2 piece design,with aluminum carriers, have curved vents in the steel rotor,so it acts like a fan, rather than a vent, which aids in cooling. Plus they shed serious unsprung weight, another 28 pounds I think from the regular Brembo all steel rotors.

I'm not sure if the 15 or 16s can be ordered with a "track pack" per se, I know mine was dealer ordered with the ultra lightweight Sidewinder 2 wheels and upgraded Corsa tires, but I had to get the 2 piece stop tech rotors ordered separately, and put on the car for delivery.

Courtney @ViperExchange
09-07-2015, 04:34 PM
IMHO the SRT is the perfect Viper to mod, especially if you are doing Stage 2 right out of the gate. Make sure to grab one with Sidewinder IIs! We have some with upgraded audio, which is definitely preferred for when you cruise around. Don't forget that when you buy a new Viper from ViperExchange, the install on the Stage 2 package is free, Free, FREE!!!! Looking forward to helping you pick one out :)

7TH_SIGN
09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
IMHO the SRT is the perfect Viper to mod

^This 100%.

I plan on building the motor and going TT. I didnt care for the upgraded interior and extra electronics. The base model was perfect for me since I plan on upgrading everything on the car including suspension.

Now if you don't plan on modifying the car, the GT or GTS imo would be your best bet for that $100k or below budget.

darbgnik
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
IMHO the SRT is the perfect Viper to mod

Yes, the SRT is the best value to buy new, for the same reason the GTS is the best value to buy used, or left over. Depreciation on the more expensive models is significantly higher when it comes time to sell or trade. For some reason, the used prices of the models move much closer together than the original purchase price.

The GTS interior really is a great piece of work, but surprisingly, the SRT interior is nice as well. Plus the ballistic nylon seats are a little larger, which helps some of us. And the side benefit of having the buckles on my sub belts of my harnesses chafing against the same stuff my motorcycle jackets is made of, vs the superb GTS leathers.

v10enomous
09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
I have the SRT with sidewinders and stock brakes. The stock brakes are extremely effective. I find that it's easy to wind up braking too hard and diving the nose of the car if I'm not careful. I have the leather but didn't really need it. The base car has a 12 speaker sound system, backup camera, perimeter key, Bluetooth, touch screen, Nav, performance pages etc... Lots of value. No power seats if that matters to you.

Mark1107
09-07-2015, 11:35 PM
12989. This shows the differences! And prices!

Destrukt
09-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone! I did not know the base SRT did not come with power driver seat, LOL! Right when I made up my mind too.....decisions decisions

Destrukt
09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
I wonder what the weight savings are between manual seat and power seat

darbgnik
09-08-2015, 12:52 AM
I wonder what the weight savings are between manual seat and power seat

I don't know for sure, but it's a bit. When I removed mine, it was fairly light, a buddy of mine said his in his GTS was a ton, but we're different people.

In all honesty, in my daily, where my girlfriend, whose only 5 feet tall may borrow it, power seats matter, in my car, where I set it and forget it, it doesn't matter at all. My Gallardo has the manual seat slider as well, simply because the power fore and aft seat is 2" taller, and that's a deal breaker for me..... I have the 2 1/2' seat lowering bracket in my Viper.

Now that I think about it, my seat is set permanently now, fore and aft anyway, with the seat lowering bracket. lol

swexlin
09-08-2015, 06:01 AM
The only two things on my Track Pack car that I don't have are Nav (which I don't need 99% of the time, and when I do, I have my IPhone) and the backup camera, which I AM thinking of installing.

I do have the leather seats, which are nice. As above, the manual seat is fine, because I set it and forget it. The only other person driving my car would be my Viper tech.

Nine Ball
09-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Power seats and manual seats both have the same adjustability. Up/down, forward/back, and recline. I like the simple manual seats, they adjust quicker.

v10enomous
09-08-2015, 07:29 AM
I don't miss the power seats at all but everybody has that neighbor with the leased Mercedes or BMW or Lexus that will entirely dismiss your car and dis you behind your back at the BBQ because you don't have a power seat.... ahahahaha! Oh the peer pressure:)

swexlin
09-08-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't miss the power seats at all but everybody has that neighbor with the leased Mercedes or BMW or Lexus that will entirely dismiss your car and dis you behind your back at the BBQ because you don't have a power seat.... ahahahaha! Oh the peer pressure:)

This exactly! I've had power seats on other cars, and again, once I set them, I never used it again, except to re-adjust after service.

Nine Ball
09-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Tell those fools that your car came with a power engine, and that theirs did not.

:)