PDA

View Full Version : How are Viper sales

Darth Menace
09-03-2015, 11:28 PM
I don't see anyone posting monthly figures anymore. How have sales looked recently? I need numbers

Rapidrezults
09-03-2015, 11:41 PM
You can look up all the sales figures here:

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=16809&mid=

June:
Viper
62 Current Y
36 Previous Y
72%

July:
Viper
37%

As of July 2015:

Current YTD: 414
Previous YTD: 400

Up a whopping 3% on the year.

johniew398
09-03-2015, 11:53 PM
800 units per year doesn't sound very profitable. I know the Viper is valuable for Dodge marketing but I wonder how much that is worth.

Darth Menace
09-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Doesn't sound good. And the $15k drop took place at the beginning of last year (i believe) to give a little bump so I would doubt the 2015 year end sales ends up any higher than the 2014

J TNT
09-04-2015, 06:18 AM
If your thinking of buying a Viper , then there isn't a better time then now !
I Would do it sooner than later , because once production stops in 2 to 4 years then I can see values start to go up .
71 Hemi Cuda recently sold for 3.5 million ! fwiw

Voice of Reason
09-04-2015, 06:18 AM
The YTD numbers year over year are disheartening. September and October were big months last year due to the price drop. This fall we will have a rush of ACR deliveries but then what? How many non ACRs are in the build pipeline right now? I bet not many.

ViperSmith
09-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Keep in mind it has been over a decade since the Viper sold more than 400-500 a year :)

Dodge is making gobs of money. As long as it does the low volume viper is safe.

ACRucrazy
09-04-2015, 07:40 AM
I found this interesting.

Challenger + 41% over last year, up nearly 11k vehicles so far. A nice interior and all the hellcat coverage probably helped.

Also :

Alpha 4C 320 sales this year compared to the Viper 351

ViperSmith
09-04-2015, 08:17 AM
The car really needs an dct and that's about it.

The C7Z is flying off the shelves (but for how long) and 80-85% of them are autos.

I think there would be a 2-3x boost in sales with a dct. People are lazy.

Voice of Reason
09-04-2015, 08:32 AM
The car really needs an dct and that's about it.

The C7Z is flying off the shelves (but for how long) and 80-85% of them are autos.

I think there would be a 2-3x boost in sales with a dct. People are lazy.

I completely agree. The average person who can afford these can't or doesn't want to drive a manual. It's this easy. The answer is not a convertible it's an auto.

XSnake
09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
I found this interesting.

Challenger + 41% over last year, up nearly 11k vehicles so far. A nice interior and all the hellcat coverage probably helped.

The whole Challenger lineup rode the coat tails of the Hellcat mayhem. They went over this at the dealer meeting in Vegas last week. The #'s were crazy. People went into dealerships looking for hellcats but ended up settling for lower lvl cars. They are hoping for a similar scenario for the Dart RT and GLH release.

Simms
09-04-2015, 09:03 AM
The Viper has never sold a lot of units per year.

Voice of Reason
09-04-2015, 09:10 AM

And it's been discontinued once already. If it takes a break again there's no coming back. I'd rather not see that happen.

Rapidrezults
09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
When the engine cert is up for renewal, (2017?) if it's not easily renewable...sadly, I doubt we will see another Viper built after that.

Rare Snake
09-04-2015, 09:32 AM
I would rather see it get discontinued again than turn into a turbo V6 auto. I love the cars as much as anyone, but if they make those changes, it's not a Viper anymore and should have a different name IMO.

Bruce H.
09-04-2015, 09:37 AM
It seems to me that SRT designed and built the Viper that they wanted to build, and under the limitations that go along with that. Naturally they'd like to sell more, but they never intended or expected it to sell in anything but small numbers. We're afraid the Viper might disappear, but that won't happen unless Dodge chooses to let it go. Maybe they're planning to design a Gen VI that appeals to a wider audience, or maybe they'll once again choose to design another one that's destined to be ultra rare again.

ViperSmith
09-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Since Chrysler is doing well financially, I'd assume they are planning a Gen VI, and that Gen VI would (I assume) be more "approachable" meaning having nice features like some type of automatic transmission - simply to make a better business case for the car.

With emission standards tightening, I don't see how the 8.4L engine will be there. They aren't going to retire the "Viper" name just because a few people think a Viper should fit certain criteria.

"Corvettes should always have round tail lights and pop up headlights!"

ACR Steve
09-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Everyone says DSC/Paddles etc. but have you seen what the last of the 6 speed cars are doing in all the performance marques - Long Live the Stick :) (sadly its an endangered species )

ACRucrazy
09-04-2015, 09:59 AM

Yep. 1994 was the only year Viper has produced more than 3,000 @ 3,083. Nearly were made for outside of the US market.

Totals?
-92 = 285
-93 =1043
-94 = 3083
-95 = 1577
-96 = 1887
-97 = 1762
-98 = 1204
-99 = 1463
-00 = 1789
-01 = 1751
-02 = 1463

Note the only years the coupe (GTS) sold over 1,000 units was both 1996 & 1997. Otherwise it was less than 1,000 coupes per year. Which is all that is sold now..

-03 1875
-04 2433
-05 2003
-06 1869
-08 1579
-09 659
-10 507
-13 1000
-14 981
-15 ??

2006 was the only year the coupe had over 1,000 made at 1,117.

I would rather see it get discontinued again than turn into a turbo V6 auto. I love the cars as much as anyone, but if they make those changes, it's not a Viper anymore and should have a different name IMO.

Agreed, but to me it looks like the Viper is selling fine considering there is no convertible-RT/10 option..

viper_eddie
09-04-2015, 10:20 AM
If Lamborghini can still produce a V10 and V12 for their line-up, then a company like Dodge should be able to either remake the current V10 or a new one that can pass emissions or whatever the issue is.

While I wouldn't want to see a Viper with a TT V6, if a smaller displacement TT V10 is the only way they can make it happen, then so be it.

serpent
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I've been saying the car needs a DCT for the longest time and a vert too. The DCT is the only thing holding it back in comparison to the other track stars. The 991 911 GT3's DCT (Porsche's PDK) helps it out tremendously, this is a NA 6 cylinder (475hp) capable of clocking 11.3 1/4 mile, and its not even a drag car!

On a serious note, I am working on getting this car. There are probably hundreds like me drooling at the opportunity to own it. And like me have enough of a down to pull the trigger but just want to save more so the monthly isnt close to $1k. I'll end up getting used so it wont really help the monthly sales, but I will drive it like I drive my current car. My current car gets a lot of compliments and its just a Mustang.
I really believe whenever a car is cleaned up with nice upgrades, that its a moving advertisement for the brand. My goal was to get a gen V in 2017, but I really cant wait any longer, it might happen as soon as spring 2016 or winter 2016 at the latest.

Till then keep living the dream guys. Hopefully I can join sooner rather than later!

ViperDC
09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
For the 1000000th time, these numbers are only sales off DEALER LOTS, they do not include customer ordered cars. Most Vipers are custom ordered these days so don't read too much into the numbers.

Just figured I'd throw that out there to stave off the usual bitching, negative nancies and doomsdayers...

Rapidrezults
09-04-2015, 12:51 PM
For the 1000000th time, these numbers are only sales off DEALER LOTS, they do not include customer ordered cars. Most Vipers are custom ordered these days so don't read too much into the numbers.

Just figured I'd throw that out there to stave off the usual bitching, negative nancies and doomsdayers...

Well that is good news. How can we get access to the numbers to include customer orders?

ViperSmith
09-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Are you sure, my understanding is that isn't true. How else would they report sales figures for the Viper to investors?

Solid Red 98
09-04-2015, 01:53 PM
A vert option, and more importantly (although sadly), a flappy paddle option, would boost sales hugely. It's as simple as that. People barely even know how to drive manuals anymore. But again, that's not what the viper is all about. I'd say it's doing ok.

steve911
09-04-2015, 02:06 PM
If your thinking of buying a Viper , then there isn't a better time then now !
I Would do it sooner than later , because once production stops in 2 to 4 years then I can see values start to go up .
71 Hemi Cuda recently sold for 3.5 million ! fwiw

Prices never really climbed up between 2010 when the Gen 4 ended, and 2013 When the Gen 5 started.

Voice of Reason
09-04-2015, 02:14 PM

This doesn't make sense. Goodcarbadcar numbers should include dealer and ordered cars. Otherwise Corvette numbers (for example) would be substantially lower since a large number of those are ordered still and not dealer spec cars.

ViperDC
09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
This doesn't make sense. Goodcarbadcar numbers should include dealer and ordered cars. Otherwise Corvette numbers (for example) would be substantially lower since a large number of those are ordered still and not dealer spec cars.

It's reporting 40 Vipers sold in August total. That doesn't make sense. Do you really think with the ACR coming out that only 40 Vipers were sold off lots/ordered in the entire month of August? I bet there were 40 ACR orders or more alone in August.

Bruce H.
09-04-2015, 02:22 PM
A vert option, and more importantly (although sadly), a flappy paddle option, would boost sales hugely. It's as simple as that. People barely even know how to drive manuals anymore. But again, that's not what the viper is all about. I'd say it's doing ok.

Well, it sort of is what it's all about. It was designed and built by performance and track rats for purchase by track rats, for their factory race program, to take the production car record, and to also appeal to those who don't track their cars but want to know they have that level of performance. You noticed they brought out an ACR before either an auto or a vert. There's packaging issues with putting an available auto or DCT into the current Gen, but they are clearly all about shaving seconds off of lap times rather than improving the cruising characteristics of the car or the feel of a stick. You can be sure they want an auto or DCT in the car (as an option at least) as much as any of us. And if they wanted a vert they'd have done it already...a relative easy process given they designed the car's structure to be a convertible in the future.

Some might think the idea of a Viper, or any sports car, being offered with a DCT (or electronic aids) as sad, but it's becoming increasing necessary for the car to have them in order to stay near the top of the performance rankings as other cars continue to improve. I do hope though that they continue to offer a manual tranny for those that want that, and add a vert as well, but I think they will come second to performance advancements.

I think it's all about performance, and everyone recognizes the performance benefit of a DCT. Thankfully the car is still stupid fast with a 6 speed

Voice of Reason
09-04-2015, 02:27 PM
It's reporting 40 Vipers sold in August total. That doesn't make sense. Do you really think with the ACR coming out that only 40 Vipers were sold off lots/ordered in the entire month of August? I bet there were 40 ACR orders or more alone in August.

Those ACRs aren't sold until the new owner takes possession, that's when they're counted.

ViperDC
09-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Those ACRs aren't sold until the new owner takes possession, that's when they're counted.

Ok maybe that's where my confusion is coming from then. In that case there is about to be a big jump in sales...

In any case, the Viper is always going to be a low-volume seller. They only MAKE 3 per day for shit's sake. Not sure why people are concerned about it.

Disturbed
09-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I'd be happy with a 426ci SC'd V10, DCT and Targa Top Viper Would easily be 800hp and with a little aftermarket support 1000rwhp on 93 pump.

I was always in the 6sp or nothing camp until I picked up a E92 M3 w/DCT! I've never like the style of the 911. But a 911 Turbo S w/PDK might be my next toy.

Coloviper
09-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Love my Viper and had to drive it to work (don't like driving my toys to work) this last week while my Cayenne was in the shop. If I had to drive it day in and day out, in stop and go traffic like that again, in 90+ degree weather, I would sooner take a bullet to the head. The GEN V fixes the A/C and outside noise part but driving a manual in stop and go for 25 miles each way, it would have to have an auto anything.

RedTanRT/10
09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Keep in mind it has been over a decade since the Viper sold more than 400-500 a year :)

FCA profit comes from Jeep and Ram, cars are soft.

8/15 YTD

Jeep + 20.5%
Ram + 6.7%
Dodge - 15.7
Industry +10.3

Photog1
09-04-2015, 11:46 PM

I hope and pray you are right. Keep buying those FCA products and tell them it is because of the Viper!!!:car-smiley-003::dude3:

catwood
09-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I just bought a Jeep GC diesel Overland. I'm adding to the profit coffers.

helps the loss they took on selling me my Gen 5.

serpent
09-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Yes, if anything people are SELLING their Vipers to make room for an ACR. That means people are holding out for the next best Viper. A couple of members have already sold their TA/Vipers. Darius is one of them. Selling 40 new Vipers in a month seems highly feasible, especially when there are other cars owners can buy. Namely a Alfa 4c, GT350R, or a pricier GT3.

steve911
09-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Ok maybe that's where my confusion is coming from then. In that case there is about to be a big jump in sales...

In any case, the Viper is always going to be a low-volume seller. They only MAKE 3 per day for shit's sake. Not sure why people are concerned about it.

The bigger concern is the lot rot out there. Hundreds sitting at dealers unsold.

The other thing is that, they are only building 3 a day becasue of a lack of orders. Plant capability is much higher.

RAY W
09-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Smart buyers will only buy Vipers that are a minimum 20 years old. This will insure a minimum or no loss of value. Provided you only keep it waxed in the garage and don't drive it.

On a side note, the pool of new Viper buyers gets smaller every year. The product has been so successful and reliable over the years that replacement for most cars is not necessary. Old owners keep what they have because other than horsepower there are really no bad years. Convertibles, ACR's and automatic transmissions may sell a few more cars for a couple of years but after that sales will level off again. Demand will really only begin after they stop producing them. Then you all will be glad they only average 600 cars a year.

Darth Menace
09-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys, I am a GenII owner with no plans to get newer. The only reason I asked is because I love the Viper and everything it is, and I don't want it to disappear into something of the past.

Jdmuscle
09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Just picked up my 15 GT from a local dealership last Friday night. Still can't imagine why these cars don't sell well... Amazing looking, faster than the Z06, quality interior, cheap on insurance... Oh well.. This meant I was going to get a quality car at a cheap price... And couldn't help but hit the trigger!!

Also have a RAM 3500.... So compensated for the hit they took on selling me my gen V :)

ViperDC
09-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Just picked up my 15 GT from a local dealership last Friday night. Still can't imagine why these cars don't sell well... Amazing looking, faster than the Z06, quality interior, cheap on insurance... Oh well.. This meant I was going to get a quality car at a cheap price... And couldn't help but hit the trigger!!

Also have a RAM 3500.... So compensated for the hit they took on selling me my gen V :)

Congrats, post up some pics

Jdmuscle
09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Congrats, post up some pics

Thanks.. Will certainly do

Jimbos1980
10-24-2015, 08:14 PM
The Viper, as we know, has always been a halo car. Since the main purpose is to drive and maintain brand recognition, I've always wondered why the Viper hasn't been featured in more commercials. It's on every once in a while but not nearly enough to promote the brand the way it needs to.