PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a couple of Gen II parts

Fatboy 18
08-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Sadly I lost the long weather strip which attaches to the black front fender (Drivers side) and forms a seal between the fender and the Hood.

I don't suppose anyone has a spare floating around? Im also looking for an old drivers door hinge, what I want to take from it is the sprung steel door opener.

Thought I would ask here as sadly I am not having much response for the Viper Salvage guys :(

Thanks Mark

AZTVR
08-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Im also looking for an old drivers door hinge, what I want to take from it is the sprung steel door opener.

There is a hinge repair kit that fixes two hinges for a bit more than a single used hinge (well, a used hinge from a commercial supplier). JonB likely can source it.

dave6666
08-30-2015, 08:19 PM
I've heard the hinge repair kit is somewhat cheesy. I'd pursue a new or used hinge that includes that part, and add a cleaning and lubrication program to extend its life going forward.

Ref the seal, that is an inexpensive item even new.

flyingskibiker
08-30-2015, 08:30 PM
I think this is where we got ours from.?.?

https://dodgepartscheap.com/1998-dodge-viper-parts/

Or maybe:
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/WEATHERSTRIP-Front-Splash-to-Hood/6636089/04709030AB.html

Fatboy 18
08-31-2015, 04:28 AM
I've heard the hinge repair kit is somewhat cheesy. I'd pursue a new or used hinge that includes that part, and add a cleaning and lubrication program to extend its life going forward.

Ref the seal, that is an inexpensive item even new.

Thanks for the info Dave, do you know of anyone who has actually fitted the Spring Kit?

Mine snapped a couple of years ago and I drilled out the rivet and have put up with just holding the door open, but now I'm getting tired of it and want to repair it. Seems nuts that for one small part you have to replace a whole hinge then sod about re-aligning the door :(

I'm wondering if to fit the replacement sprung steel door opener you have to remove the hinge anyway? Possibly putting a bolt through the rear of the drilled out rivet hole then securing with a nut and washer? If that's the case I will just get a replacement hinge and be done with it.

Cheers Mark

Wot!
08-31-2015, 06:14 AM
I think I have a pair in storage. Let me know if you are still looking and I will go check. Not sure what they are worth. Can't even remember what I paid for them.

dave6666
08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info Dave, do you know of anyone who has actually fitted the Spring Kit?

Mine snapped a couple of years ago and I drilled out the rivet and have put up with just holding the door open, but now I'm getting tired of it and want to repair it. Seems nuts that for one small part you have to replace a whole hinge then sod about re-aligning the door :(

I'm wondering if to fit the replacement sprung steel door opener you have to remove the hinge anyway? Possibly putting a bolt through the rear of the drilled out rivet hole then securing with a nut and washer? If that's the case I will just get a replacement hinge and be done with it.

Cheers Mark

It has been a few cases of beer ago since I recall anyone discussing the spring kit, so no, I don't specifically remember who. I might dig around over at the other viper site and see if I can come up with anything.

What I do remember... I think...

* the kit fixes the problem

* people were like ok, I paid how much for these dinky parts?

luc
08-31-2015, 04:01 PM
When I has the same issue I'm my gts driver side, I bought a new hinge , grinded/ removed the rivets on both hinges and put the new spring on the old hinge by drilling and taping the hole to take a bolt. Still holding after 10+ years

Fatboy 18
08-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Cool :)