PDA

View Full Version : Tire and rim damaged by a huge pothole- is the City/County liable for repairs?

Lawrenzo
08-27-2015, 12:34 PM
My wife hit a huge pothole on the 5 Freeway while driving our Audi S7, and it has caused a bulge in the sidewall and possibly damaged the wheel as well. Do I have any recourse with city/county to pay for the repairs? I've contacted State Farm and am awaiting their response as well.

Slithr
08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Our experience is ... No recourse in Texas, considered a road hazard

Lawrenzo
08-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Road hazard my ass! If something falls off a truck in front of me I'd understand, but if the County decides to ignore a freaking crater in a taxpayer funded road that's neglect in my book.

AZTVR
08-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Probably depends on who owns the road with the pot hole.

http://downtownlalaw.com/pot-hole-accident-faq-los-angeles-pothole-and-defective-roadway-lawyers/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/City-Dodges-Pothole-Payouts-226843651.html

Lawrenzo
08-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks. This gave me a good lead to seek reimbursement.

Probably depends on who owns the road with the pot hole.

http://downtownlalaw.com/pot-hole-accident-faq-los-angeles-pothole-and-defective-roadway-lawyers/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/City-Dodges-Pothole-Payouts-226843651.html

Fatboy 18
08-27-2015, 02:19 PM
You can claim in the UK, not easy as they will throw all sorts of hoops in your way but many people claim here.

Slithr
08-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Road hazard my ass!

Our exact response! Government entities are pretty good at not taking responsibility or being accountable at all levels

Uncle Paul
08-27-2015, 02:43 PM
If you file a claim, the city will be sure that it cost you more in legal fees than to just pay for the damages yourself.

Drivers are supposed to be alert, and watch out for items or holes in the road.

They will eventually pay for the damages if it is a iron clad claim, but you most likely will not come out ahead financially.

If you have lightweight alloy or aluminum rims, or low profile tires, your claim becomes much more difficult. If you bend a steel wheel on a high profile SUV, you should have a better chance of recovering.

Believe most personal auto insurance will also not wish to pay for claims like these.

uvbnbit
08-28-2015, 05:47 AM
I'm thinking in certain states, if it (road hazard, pot hole, etc) is reported, and not repaired within x hours, then there may be opportunity for compensation/reimbursement.

ViperSmith
08-28-2015, 09:00 AM
We've had a few big (like foot wide) potholes around here for over a year

After all the the DANG taxes I pay on my car, it is bullshit.

Space Truckin
08-28-2015, 10:17 AM
we've had a few big (like foot wide) potholes around here for over a year

after all the the DANG taxes i pay on my car, it is bullshit.

our exact response! Government entities are pretty good at not taking responsibility or being accountable at all levels

^^^this^^^

Vipes
08-28-2015, 10:58 AM
I hit a massive pothole years ago back when I had a Supra right after I bought a fresh set of CCW's. It bubbled 2 tires and actually bent both rims on the passenger side. I immediately pulled over and took pictures of the pothole and street for reference. I bought 2 new tires and dropped the wheels off at a wheel repair shop and they were fixable. I just mailed the pictures of the pothole, wheels and receipts to city hall of Windermere, FL. I got a check in the mail 4 weeks later for the full amount, about $850 if I remember correctly. It turns out there was construction in the area and they just pulled the money out of the construction budget even though the pothole wasn't related. I drove down the road 2 days later and the pothole was already patched so I was glad I took pics right away. Not every city/town will pay but it is worth a try.

v10enomous
08-28-2015, 11:16 AM
I didn't even think they had potholes in Southern California... Come to Jersey and we'll show you potholes.

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-28-2015, 12:58 PM
My wife hit a huge pothole on the 5 Freeway while driving our Audi S7, and it has caused a bulge in the sidewall and possibly damaged the wheel as well. Do I have any recourse with city/county to pay for the repairs? I've contacted State Farm and am awaiting their response as well.

Newer car? Believe it or not, the TIRE may be covered by AUDI OE Tire warrantee ! Pro-Rated.

Your comprehensive (less deductible) may also cover it, but she did "hit something"

Lawrenzo
08-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Newer car? Believe it or not, the TIRE may be covered by AUDI OE Tire warrantee ! Pro-Rated.

Your comprehensive (less deductible) may also cover it, but she did "hit something"

The only coverage from Pirelli that I saw was for either uneven wear or 12 month no questions asked replacement for a runflat. Insurance said no coverage since she hit a pothole. Thanks though.

Vprbite
08-29-2015, 04:12 AM
I sirance does t cover hitting a pothole? It covers hitting anything else on the road?

Out here in Arizona, I find that stuff to be very hit or miss in terms of getting the city, county, or state to pay for it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And sometimes it's such a nightmare and runaround you give up. There are roads I just dinw drive on in the Viper they are so brutal and am so worried about either that or at the very least, throwing my alignment out.

Good luck man. Beautiful car to have that happen to.

Lawrenzo
08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I filed a claim with the city of LA- so now I just sit back and wait, and wait, and wait.....

Vprbite
08-31-2015, 01:09 AM
I filed a claim with the city of LA- so now I just sit back and wait, and wait, and wait.....

As well as the city of LA and state of california are run, I can't see this taking more than a decade or so.

Sorry man, I shouldn't joke. my parents taught me a phrase called "Life Tax." This is one of those things I would consider that. I personally would fix it, submit the claim the way you are supposed to, and then consider the money gone. But if the reembursement comes, cool and think of it as a bonus. If you never see it, try and remind yourself that it's just some bent components and luckily it didn't cause a wreck that hurt you and your wife or someone else. Though, if you are documenting the wheel, I would maybe have audi check and make sure your suspension didn't take any damage.

plumcrazy
08-31-2015, 07:01 AM
it will be interesting to see how this plays out. good luck !

City
08-31-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm thinking in certain states, if it (road hazard, pot hole, etc) is reported, and not repaired within x hours, then there may be opportunity for compensation/reimbursement.

This is true, though I have to believe the laws are local and therefore, differ accordingly. Typically, the city or county must be given due notice after which time they have a certain amount of time to make repairs.