PDA

View Full Version : fried the a/c at the track

fuggles
08-26-2015, 09:48 PM
The A/C was working fine before the track day. On the way home no A/C. Very hot air. I did not run the a/c on the track. :)
There was a slow leak before. I had to recharge the system once in the two months I've had the car.

Anyone have this problem? What problems should I look for?

Steve-Indy
08-27-2015, 05:30 AM
Check system with dye for obvious leaks...especially checking for damage to condenser or connections at compressor.

fuggles
08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks much. Do you know if the factory adds dye? The engine bay looks clean.

rw99
08-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Hey, Kent... were you terrorizing somebody running slicks? :D you might have picked up some FOD to that condenser. Although it's probably more likely that you just accelerated your existing slow leak...

Rich

Steve-Indy
08-27-2015, 12:51 PM
I would say no on factory fill having dye. Admittedly, when I occasionally recharge one st home, I use dye in the R-134a. Sometimes, it takes a bright UV light as well as proper goggles to see a leak. I have had better luck with dye than my sniffer.

Easiest to find and fix would be the "O" rings where the lines connect to the compressor. This area runs HOT...more so on a track day. "O" ring kit about $6. Also check your Schrader valves at high and low pressure ports...with spit...just like on a bike tire. :)

Good hunting.

Bill Pemberton
08-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Steve, since he is a racer, should he get Ken Schrader valves next time? Ha, couldn't resist, but you are always a great wealth of information and I am sure many have benefited from your wisdom.

Steve-Indy
08-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Good one Bill !! I am HOPING for a simple fix here...racers need tire money !!!

Bill Pemberton
08-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Living near Indy you definitely know your racers too!

fuggles
08-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips Steve. I'm not fond of the dye. I use bottles with out dye. Dye just makes a mess. :) Spit test on the way. lol. And more tire money is good. :)

Hi Rich. I was terrorizing an F430 for a bit. Great fun. No slicks, though I did find a glob of rubber on the condenser and a few ricochets on the hood. No damage done. :) Probably right. I will test for leaks.

Thanks.