PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for the New Forum

Patentlaw
12-09-2013, 11:26 PM
To those who know, if you could take the time to respond, I would appreciate it.

I have been around for awhile, so I am definitely not a noob. One issue (huge issue) that I had with the old site is that some of us took considerable time in posting information for the good of the community. Information that people freely gave for the good of the community was then placed in a specific area and then to access the information, people were essentially required to "pay up" to see it. In other words, people on the other website took others hard work, freely given, for the good of the community, and made money off of it. I have not seen any threads on this issue at the other site, but as Intellectual Property lawyer, I am very very disappointed in those acts. My time is important and I am not going to "work" for some unethical people who try to make a living off me.

I would like to know what the policy is here.

Hope the answer is not the same.

Best Regards,

Plaw

FLATOUT
12-10-2013, 06:00 AM
I agree I hated that over there and it kept me from doing more install documents. So if anything it hurts the community in the long run.

plumcrazy
12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Nothing has come down on thus from above. Hope one of the officers chime in on this

Leslie
12-10-2013, 09:16 AM
You have been around for awhile...? On VCA or VA I am guessing, haven't seen you here.

What you describe I have not seen on this site.

City
12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
To those who know, if you could take the time to respond, I would appreciate it.

I have been around for awhile, so I am definitely not a noob. One issue (huge issue) that I had with the old site is that some of us took considerable time in posting information for the good of the community. Information that people freely gave for the good of the community was then placed in a specific area and then to access the information, people were essentially required to "pay up" to see it. In other words, people on the other website took others hard work, freely given, for the good of the community, and made money off of it. I have not seen any threads on this issue at the other site, but as Intellectual Property lawyer, I am very very disappointed in those acts. My time is important and I am not going to "work" for some unethical people who try to make a living off me.

I would like to know what the policy is here.

Hope the answer is not the same.

Best Regards,

Plaw

It's an excellent question.

Our intent is to keep the forums open and public to the best of our ability. We have no "members only" area by design.
Any "information that people give freely" will remain free and will not be moved to a "private pay for view" area. Please note that at the moment, I can't conceive of such "information" that may cause exception to this intent, however, if it should appear we would notify and discuss the matter with all the parties involved.

BlknBlu
12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
A lot over here including me have no more interest on what is going on over there. I wish them nothing but the best in their future. I have made the decision and commitment to make this the best club within my power and hold no animosity to them or any other Viper club.

Bruce

Viper Girl
12-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I believe you are referring to the How-To section on the old site that only members could see. Here that info is open for all to see, as City says we have no hidden members only section...

jwolf
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I believe you are referring to the How-To section on the old site that only members could see. Here that info is open for all to see, as City says we have no hidden members only section...

And only a select few could post to.

Patentlaw
12-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks to all that responded and taking the time out to answer the question.

eucharistos
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
hey p-law,

repped you in another thread

St.Char
12-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Great! By doing so, this site will thrive with new members! I believe that the more members contribute, the stronger the community will get, strength in numbers will speak volumes for this site. The number one reason I joined this site is because of local regional members who have openly volunteered their knowledge and time by helping me understand my car and not once did any of them ask me to join this community. So, the least I could do..... give back!

Janni
12-11-2013, 11:39 PM
At some point there may be a members only section / benefit - but it won't be the area of how to's, etc - it MIGHT be an SRT chat area, etc. but the matra of the club is one of inclusive behavior, so no moving posts given freely to 'pay per view' (ha!) areas.

oh - and you're banned for asking questions.

Sorry - couldn't resist. :t1253: And I can't resist using this smiley.