PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Purchase Inspection

HKViper
08-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Afternoon,

Is there anyone who would be willing to take a look at a GTS for me or could recommend a good tech that I could have look at it in the Phoenix area? For more details send me a PM. Thanks!

98intrigue
08-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Contact Eddie Martin. He's a well known Viper Tech in the Phoenix area 602-4Four8-15Eight7. He checked out a car for me, which I purchased last year.

Vprbite
08-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Eddie Martin is one of the most respected Vipr techs in the country and may have even taken care of the car you are looking at if it is in Phoenix. That happens often when someone is looking at a car out here, it turns out Eddie will already know the thing inside and out. We as the Arizona Club may know the car too. Got a link for us to check out?

HKViper
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
This is the car:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301714947268

Vprbite
08-21-2015, 08:07 PM
It was built by Doug Levin it appears. That's good. He does good stuff. I don't recognize the car but as people said, call eddie. He is the man to see out here and may know thencar anyway. He is at Airpark Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Scottsdale, Arizona.

HKViper
08-21-2015, 08:10 PM
It was built by Doug Levin it appears. That's good. He does good stuff. I don't recognize the car but as people said, call eddie. He is the man to see out here and may know thencar anyway. He is at Airpark Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Think he would be put off by some random stranger that got his number off a forum? Lol

Vprbite
08-21-2015, 10:47 PM
thats why I figured just call the dealership on Monday and ask for him. I need to talk to him anyway so I can ask about the car for you and see if he knows it when I call early next week. The seller should be willing to take the car over to the dealer for you though. For example when I bought mine out of houston, the owner took it to Tomball Dodge for me and I payed for the PPI over the phone which of course they are prepared to do. It would be the same thing here. I especially wouldn't want to buy a TT car with just a "looksie" or "tire-kicker" inspection like I would give it. That kind of thing you want really looked at by a pro. And to be honest, you could talk to any service writer about the PPI and Eddie is the one who will do the work when it comes time for it though.

LeadfootRT10
08-23-2015, 04:38 PM
I"m pretty sure Eddie knows that car very well and has worked on it regularly. He probably won't need to go look at to tell you all about it.

Vprbite
08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
I"m pretty sure Eddie knows that car very well and has worked on it regularly. He probably won't need to go look at to tell you all about it.

Leadfoot is pretty tuned in to the car/viper scene in Phoenix and knows of the cars even when people aren't club members. If it is indeed the case that Eddie does know the vehicle, that's a great advantage to have when buying a car. Being able to talk to the person that has maintained the car for the past several years is huge. That's like if before you started dating a girl, you got to talk to her doctor first to make sure she runs good, doesn't have any issues, hasn't had any body work done hiding potential problem areas, isn't gonna cost you a bunch of money down the road. As a society we should start making that standard practice.

plumcrazy
08-23-2015, 06:16 PM
jim wilson is a straight up guy. he built the car himself if i recall correctly. he helped me out a lot on my car in the beginning. he is a good dude if hes the one selling it... he used to post on the vca site,. search him out there

EDIT: damn, just read the ad, he died. Call doug levin (954-434-9356), see if he knows anything about the car, i bet he tells you what i said above. jim was a great guy. you can bank on anything doug tells you !

EDIT #2: after reading the ad, DLM definitely did NOT tune that car. it has a vec2, doug wont touch a car with a vec on it. but call doug, he will help you as much as he can. he always does and anyone with a DLM car, will be happy to have him as a resource

i really need to read thoroughly LOL

HKViper
08-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone. Mondays are insanely hectic at work so I didn't get a chance to call anyone today.

If this car was NOT done by DLM, is it still something worth pursuing?

plumcrazy
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
absolutely. its a BEAST with all good parts.

drewsss
08-24-2015, 10:58 PM
I'd be all over this one if I didn't already have a fast yellow one. :D

HKViper
08-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Contact Eddie Martin. He's a well known Viper Tech in the Phoenix area 602-4Four8-15Eight7. He checked out a car for me, which I purchased last year.

Is this his personal number or that of the dealership he works at? I want to call today but want to make sure I know who or what I'm calling.

drewsss
08-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Is this his personal number or that of the dealership he works at? I want to call today but want to make sure I know who or what I'm calling.

That is Eddie's personal cell.

AZTVR
08-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Is this his personal number or that of the dealership he works at? I want to call today but want to make sure I know who or what I'm calling. He has it posted on the web; so, don't feel inhibited about calling it. http://www.maehammotorsports.com/

HKViper
08-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Spoke with eddie, was mildly familiar with the car and we are working out a way to have him inspect the car. Next call will likely be to Doug Levin to see if he has any info on the car. You were right, he's a really nice guy and extremely helpful.

Vprbite
08-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Cool. I hadn't called him yet to ask about my car so I hadn't asked him about this one. If you talked to him though then you are all set. it seems like the car is known on here which is a very helpful thing. It's when no one has ever seen a car (especially a built one) that things feel sketchy. It looks like people seem to have known this car at it's different build stages.

Vprbite
08-25-2015, 08:11 PM
absolutely. its a BEAST with all good parts.

You said Doug won't touch a car with a a VEC2 on it? So did someone use Doug's componentry and tune it themselves?

HKViper
08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Cool. I hadn't called him yet to ask about my car so I hadn't asked him about this one. If you talked to him though then you are all set. it seems like the car is known on here which is a very helpful thing. It's when no one has ever seen a car (especially a built one) that things feel sketchy. It looks like people seem to have known this car at it's different build stages.

Ya, I did some digging around on the other forum and discovered some old posts from jim wilson stating the car was in fact a DLM car, so who knows. One thing Eddie was saying is that Jim was very anal and had a tendency to go above and beyond what the average owner would do, so it's looking promising so far.

01AZGTS
11-11-2015, 11:23 PM
I am very familiar with the car as I purchased it about 6 weeks ago. In fact, I had Eddie do some work on it and picked it up today. Eddie confirmed for me that the previous owner must have invested $60K-$80K in the car. He also confirmed the estimate of 800RWHP-900RWHP and a top speed north of 200MPH.

If you are still looking for a wickedly fast Viper, please let me know.

I am open to selling the car, not because I don't love it, but because shortly after I purchased the car I had some other financial needs arise.

I have never driven anything so quick. The car just wants to devour the asphalt in front of it. It sounds beautiful. As mentioned before the original owner was meticulous in his part selection and his execution. He bought the car new, drove it until the warranty ran out and then began upgrading every major mechanical system.

I am getting ready to put new tires on it and I am contemplating selling the CCW rims and going back to the stock rims.

Please let me know if you want to discuss it further.

AZTVR
11-12-2015, 12:03 AM
I am very familiar with the car as I purchased it about 6 weeks ago. In fact, I had Eddie do some work on it and picked it up today. Eddie confirmed for me that the previous owner must have invested $60K-$80K in the car. He also confirmed the estimate of 800RWHP-900RWHP and a top speed north of 200MPH.

You certainly got one hell of a car and deal, IMHO !

HKViper
01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
I wish I had signed in here sooner than now.......I've still been hunting for one.

Nemesis
01-17-2016, 10:51 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

LeadfootRT10
01-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Look what's on the docket at Barrett-Jackson, Lot #858....if you're into Doug Levin's work.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2001-DODGE-VIPER-GTS--188922

Vprbite
01-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Look what's on the docket at Barrett-Jackson, Lot #858....if you're into Doug Levin's work.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2001-DODGE-VIPER-GTS--188922

Doug levin does some pretty good work and has a reputation for good builds. Also a super nice guy. I'm not sure I am nuts about the interior accents but that's an easy fix. I've never heard of this "cryogenic" treatment, so will need to look that up.

HKViper
01-27-2016, 07:53 PM

I saw this. I would imagine this car is going to go for top dollar. That thing is really nice