PDA

View Full Version : What is proper way to remove an invisible car bra?

Coloviper
08-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Junkman or others, any videos or advice on proper technique to remove an invisible car bra the easy way? Best product to use to remove residual residue glue left over?

Thanks in advance!

TooBlue
08-12-2015, 07:55 AM
I think I would let the guy that installed the clear bra remove it. IMO. If the paint would lift I'm thinking they would be responsible.

Plus it always seems like there are tricks to the trade for guys that do it everyday for a living.

Coloviper
08-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Well I would but it was on the used car when I bought it. Looks like it has been on there for 10 years. Hence tracking down the original installer is not an option.

Torquemonster06
08-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Find a place local to you that installs Clear bra's and either call or bring the car over to them to actually look at and he could give you a price. He also might give you some direction on removing it over the phone. I guaranty he's not going to cover "Paint Lift" on a vehicle he did not install on. I'm sure he'll tell you that. Keep us posted on the outcome.

kirkinsb
08-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I have a silver 2003 and the clear bra was yellowing really badly. Looked like crap!!! I began by seeing if a corner would come up easy or not. The corner I tested came up fairly easy.... So I reluctantly began pulling it all off. It was easier when using a hair dryer to heat it up. but took some serious pulling. And I always pulled parallel to the paint so it would not pull up. There were some spots that the adhesive was left behind. I used GooGone or WD-40 to remove it. Looks great...but took a lot of time and a lot of slow and steady hand strength.

Coloviper
08-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Kirkinsb! Did the hair dryer work okay or would a heat gun have been better. I have both. Did the car body have to be colder first? Reason I am asking is, is it better for me to have a cleaner bra removal if the body is colder (like near winter) and then use the heat gun to heat it up before I pull off? Just some thoughts. I have GooBeGone but it takes serious elbow grease. Never tried WD-40 but that sounds easier.

Not a fan of the clear bra period.

ViperGTS
08-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Invisible? Let it be...you cant see it anyway. :z:

gfviperman
08-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I just pulled mine off ... good workout!!
Pulled at an angle parallel to the paint.
Would not use a heat gun ... hair dryer may be OK.
It was hot day in the garage .. might be all you need.
Go slowly ...

ICPREY
08-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Plenty of videos on youtube. Most I've seen use a heat gun, just use common sense. I did see a video where someone suggested using gas to remove the left over sticky residue, but I'm not sure I would use something that aggressive on paint.

PittsburghRT
08-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I have seen photos online where the installer removed old film with the help of a steamer.

Vprbite
08-19-2015, 08:16 PM
I have seen photos online where the installer removed old film with the help of a steamer.

Don't you gotta pay extra for that?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I will go back to my hole now.

Coloviper
11-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Well, took 4 weekends to remove the clear bras from our two Cayennes. One was on for 11 years and the other for 10.

The 10 year old came off in larger pieces after heating back side with a heat gun and leaving out in the sun so all body panels were warmed up pretty good as well. Not too hot with heat gun or it will melt it and just pull apart on the pull. Anyway it came off in larger pieces but left a lot of glue residue. A lot of time with goo-b-gone to clean up, heating up glue slightly to ease removal.

The 11 year old I just used heat gun but with a cold body underneath. Came off in much smaller pieces but all residue came off. Needed the little plastic tab piece from an iPhone screen protector bubble remover to keep picking up the edge to pull. Cleaned up the remains residue with goo-b-gone.

Pulling old film worked best at a 30 degree angle so brittle old film would hold together best and heat gun larger areas often. Pain in the butt but did not lose any paint so all worth it, just very time consuming. Not installing a new one on either Cayenne as 80k miles on one and 120k miles on the other. For what an older, high mileage Cayenne Turbo is worth these days, it would not matter if the entire front end is sand blasted or not, same price.

ACR Steve
11-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Removing the Film

Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:
•Warm the film with a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the adhesive. 170° is the recommended temperature for this process. Keep the heat source moving to avoid melting the film or damaging the paint.
•Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail.
•Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure 8a). This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car.
•If any adhesive is left on the car, use a ge

Camfab
11-21-2015, 03:35 AM
As an FYI 3M makes an adhesive remover that's specifically made for use on car paint.

jtc
12-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I just purchased a 2016 in black. Those that had this done would you say it's worth it? Sorry for off the topic figured those that had it for ten years would have a good opinion. Thanks

ACR Steve
12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Just had Expel done to 80% of my new ACR its the best thing you can do to protect it.

bluesrt
12-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I had 100% of my black ta done, cant see it on there, no more swirl marks ever, did the self heal expel

sssammm
12-19-2015, 12:30 PM
I pulled my SLS hood clear bra off, do it cold, when we tried heating, every time you stop you get a line in the paint
which needed polishing out, when cold, it just pulled straight off, bring a friend with large biceps

sam